eBay protecting lying and abusive sellers

After having been away for some time, I was tempted back to eBay by some low pricing.

I know, I know - Pay peanuts - you get Monkeys.

I have now learned my lesson.

I had a situation recently with a seller who made a promise regarding the status (use by date) of an item they were selling to convince me to purchase an extra one as part of an offer.

I agreed on the basis of the longer use by dates the seller promised to send me despite the low dates in the product description.

The seller then proceeded to send me 2 items with use by dates shorter than those they promised anyway!

When I raised this with the seller, they refused to refund unless I committed to not providing negative feedback.

This is feedback extortion, so I refused and the seller responded with a number of abusive messages, so raised a complaint with eBay.

Initially, eBay were great, and assisted me to obtain an appropriate partial refund, and I provided some truthful and measured feedback simply stating that the seller delivered items with a shorter use by date than promised and that I wouldn't recommend them.

They then responded with more abusive direct messages, and responded to the feedback with more abusive language.

Again I raised my concerns with eBay and their response was pretty disappointing. (But not surprising).

They removed my negative feedback along with the abusive feedback the seller left and haven't blocked the seller from sending me abusive messages. (Is there a way I can do this myself).

The seller has effectively protected their feedback status and got away without any consequences.

They clearly have done this before as they gloated in one of their nasty messages about getting eBay to remove negative feedback.

I know this is not a new phenomenon, and no doubt is normal behaviour, so this thread is not asking for, or offering any advice, just a reminder that eBay feedback doesn't really mean anything and is not a useful guide to protect buyers from errant sellers.

Unfortunately, the vast majority of sellers that do the right thing end up being effectively indistinguishable from those that don't so trading on this platform is just pot luck.

Sorry, maybe just one little piece of advice:

P.S. The cheapest option is rarely the best. 

Good luck everyone. 🙂

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

eBay will sometimes reinstate feedback that they've removed if you have grounds to show it was fair and honest. Go to the link below and scroll to the bottom for contact options.

Ask to speak to a supervisor as soon as you are able to, if the first CS person won't put it back try again with a different supervisor.

https://www.ebay.com.au/help/buying/leaving-feedback-sellers/handling-feedback-disputes-sellers?id=4...

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Ebay does not offer or issue partial refunds, so it would appear you have accepted a one off offer from the seller, to  resolve your issues.   So in my opinion it is pretty poor form to then leave -FB.

Given you are not actually entitled to anything that is not stipulated in the listing, and that your issue was resolved by the seller with your consent, then the matter should be settled in the sellers favour.

Where  a dispute is settled in the sellers favour, they are entitled to have any FB  - / +  removed.

As far as abusive messages go, you are entitled to report them,  ebay has ready access, as all messages between members are routed via ebay