10 % off Offer is a scam

This 10% Off offer from eBay is a scam. I used it yesterday. The 10% were taken off on the nvoice but when I checked my PayPal account I realised the they took of the entire amount without the 10% off. This happened to us twice, We complained and Ebay says it's PayPal fault and PayPal says it eBays fault. This is a Rip-Off which should be reported. So everyone who uses this offer, please check your PayPal Account and check which amount was deducted at your PayPal Account.  I can't believe the nowone else realised this. Please don't let this Companies get away with scams like this. Spread the word

Message 1 of 50
Latest reply
49 REPLIES 49

Re: 10 % off Offer is a scam

I checked that all and you are right if you go into the Details it shows the discount but the fact is that PayPal still deducted the full amount. I added the figures up with the opening balance of the Month minus all my payments plus all the Payments i have received and it turns out the the full amount was taken off without the 10% discount. I can't believe that i'm the only one realising.

My discounted invoice is Approx $324 and PayPal decuted $357 from my account. Just check your figures.

Message 21 of 50
Latest reply

The amount of the PayPal transaction was as you say $357, so that is the amount you should see with a minus in front of it in your PayPal account.

HOWEVER, this amount can be funded from a number of sources.

Your existing PayPal balance (if any)

Your bank or credit card

Ebay/PayPal Christmas 10% off (price of item only - no discount on postage)

Go into the PayPal transaction and you will find the breakdown.  It's not very clear but if you look closely at how the transaction was funded you will find it.

Message 22 of 50
Latest reply

If you paid the entire amount from your PayPal balance and/or bank account/credit card, you will not see any mention of the CHRISTMAS10 in the PayPal breakdown and applying the code to the eBay transaction would not have showed a discount.

Message 23 of 50
Latest reply

If you go back into PayPal and click on the actual transaction to expand it, it will give you the break down. Here is what it shows in mine:

Paid with

$250.50 PayPal balance

$109.50 10% Off Everything at eBay #CHRISTMAS10

$735.00 westpac x-xxxx

So, the original price of my item was $1,095. I had $250.50 in my PayPal account which it used. The remainder came from my bank account. If you add the 3 amounts up above, it comes to $1,095. If you deduct the 10% amount, I was left with a payment of $985.50, which is all I paid from PayPal and bank account.

However, the total amount paid to the seller was $1,095 and that is the amount that can be seen in the transaction. That isn't the amount I paid, that is the amount the seller got.

Message 24 of 50
Latest reply

paypal summary.jpg

Message 25 of 50
Latest reply

I also meant to add, the 10% discount has been extended until midnight Tuesday night.

Message 26 of 50
Latest reply

Either that router is still just as fast as when it was new.  Or it does nothing - at minimum, a port blown out.  Routers will run just as fast 20 years later.  

You protector was so grossly undersized as to explode on a transient too tiny to harm anything else.  First, remember how electricity works.  If a surge was incoming to that protector, then at the exact same time, a similar current was also outgoing into the router.  That same current simultaneously was also in the sky and also connected to and in earth.  That current was simultaneous in every part of a multikilometer path.

So a current too tiny to overwhelm protection inside the router also exploded that protector.  Of course.  Read its numbers.  How many joules did it claim to absorb?  Appliances will often convert hundreds of joules surges into rock solid and stable low voltage DC to power its semiconductors.  That same current exploded a near zero protector.  

Second, take a $3 power strip. Add some ten cent protector parts.  Then sell it for $25.  Profits are extreme.  Protection is near zero. But just enough above zero to hype it as 100% protection to consumers who beg to be scammed; who ignore spec numbers.

Any facility that cannot have damage would never waste so much money on protectors - let alone a near zero one.  Effective protection means hundreds of thousands of joules dissipate harmlessly outside.  Then no surge current is inside hunting for earth ground via appliances.  Then even near zero (plug-in) protectors are protected.

More relevant numbers.  Lightning is typically 20,000 amps.  So a minimal ''whole house' protector is 50,000 amps.  Because any protectors that fails catastrophically was doing absolutely no protection.  And was enriching its manufacturer.

Learn from your mistakes.  Fix the problem.  What is protecting your dishwasher, air conditioner, smoke detectors, clocks, refrigerator, CFL and LED bulbs, etc?  Nothing.  If anything needs protection, then everything needs that protection.  Protection is always about where hundreds of thousands of joules are harmlessly absorbed.  Protection means nobody knew a surge existed because even protectors must never fail - become the source of fires.

A surge too tiny to overwhelm protection in all household appliances (TV, router, dimmer switches) also easly destroyed a near zero scam.  Did you learn from the experience by first learning relevant numbers?  Or just assume the router must be getting slower - without even one number to justify that believe?

Your protector exploded because it did exactly what manufacturer spec numbers said it would do - near zero protection.  A protector is only as effective as its earth ground - which plug-in protectors do not have and will not discuss.  Otherwise an obscene profit margin would be at risk.

Message 27 of 50
Latest reply

I have absolutely no idea what you are on about! I will say though, I don't have a dishwasher (oh the horror!), I don't have dimmer switches, I don't have LED lights, the clocks run on batteries and I have no idea what CFL is. The last lightning strike was about 4 feet from the house. That was evident by the mess it made when it hit the tree in my front yard. I knew the storm was coming so TV, fridge etc got unplugged. I hadn't got to the phone lines when it hit.

Message 28 of 50
Latest reply

Me neither Tippy, TMI I believe.......................

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 29 of 50
Latest reply

... and not necessarily accurate.

For example, EM radiation travels at lightspeed, not instantaneously. A nanosecond is a significant time period in electronics. We all know this. You can see a lightning bolt hit, because it is not instantaneous (and has to ionise the air to make the path, making it significantly slower than lightspeed).

Message 30 of 50
Latest reply