10 % off Offer is a scam

This 10% Off offer from eBay is a scam. I used it yesterday. The 10% were taken off on the nvoice but when I checked my PayPal account I realised the they took of the entire amount without the 10% off. This happened to us twice, We complained and Ebay says it's PayPal fault and PayPal says it eBays fault. This is a Rip-Off which should be reported. So everyone who uses this offer, please check your PayPal Account and check which amount was deducted at your PayPal Account.  I can't believe the nowone else realised this. Please don't let this Companies get away with scams like this. Spread the word

Message 1 of 50
Latest reply
49 REPLIES 49

10 % off Offer is a scam

Did you put the code in when you went to pay by PayPal? Did you submit the code so it registered? Did it them deduct the amount from the checkout page before you hit to pay? If you did all that, check your PayPal account again. There will be 2 amounts. One will show the amount you paid, the other will be the 10% to make it up to the full amount. The seller still gets the full amount, eBay pay the 10%, even though it still shows up as part of the transaction in PayPal. It's very deceptive because it looks like the full amount has been deducted from your account when it actually hasn't.

Message 2 of 50
Latest reply

10 % off Offer is a scam

Tippy is right.   If I had a dollar for every member who has come screaming to the boards about being ripped off by these discounts I would be rolling in it.

I have used a number of them and never been scammed....the discount is still there but the seller gets the full amount.

Message 3 of 50
Latest reply

10 % off Offer is a scam

m-i-c-k
Community Member

ebay's checks and balances at checkout are poor unless it's got anything to do them losing money... Poor programming standards / poor code ordering... Full of weaknesses..

Message 4 of 50
Latest reply

10 % off Offer is a scam

Well...there was that one time when the discount code just wasn't working, but it said so upfront in nice big red writing. When it was correct. That was interesting and brought me on here.

With this code it specifically excludes the discount from the postage. A way to get more buyers preferentially looking for the "free postage" items perhaps?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 5 of 50
Latest reply

10 % off Offer is a scam

Have a look carefully at your Paypal statement.  The summary might show the full amount, but if you click on the transaction and look through the details carefully, you might find that it shows a breakdown.

For example, i made a purchase using the 10% off Christmas10 code.  Summary shows $126 payment from my paypal account so for a moment, I thought the code hadn't registered.  HOWEVER, the Paypal transaction shows the following

$0.97 PayPal balance

$12.60 10% Off Everything at eBay #CHRISTMAS10

$112.43 VISA

$12.60 of the $126 was paid by paypal.

I hope this helps you and anyone else who is simply looking at the item in Paypal summary only.

Message 6 of 50
Latest reply

10 % off Offer is a scam

Another thing with this Christmas one, you had to spend $100 to get the 10% off.

Message 7 of 50
Latest reply

10 % off Offer is a scam

I used it last night for a $250 purchase and got the discount.

I am now finalising an order for multiple items from the same seller and don't expect any problems.

Message 8 of 50
Latest reply

10 % off Offer is a scam

Yes, the 100$ minimum spend (not including postage) can be on multiple items in the one transaction. I have had a bit of a look and am struggling to find anything I really want...used the recent 20% off one (major retailers) to buy pressies.

I am either sick or my shopping passion has cured itself.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 9 of 50
Latest reply

10 % off Offer is a scam

If you use Aus Post prepaid satchels, you could always purchase these to use a discount.

Message 10 of 50
Latest reply