AFTERPAY10 Not being Applied sort of Scam.

aga036
Community Member

I attempted to apply AFTERPAY10 on checkout but received message 

code is not applied "as I have used this Voucher before on a transaction."

I then read conditions for this voucher which were a bit convoluted.

Condition #3. seems to imply it's possible to use the code more than once. Further reading to condition#5. then states otherwise.  link below

Why cant eBay apply a notice before pressing buy that this offer can only be used once during the offer period.

I could have searched further to purchase from another seller for 10% less without this AFTERPAY10 offer that only works once.

It's a pain to contact seller that you do not wish to proceed.

Com'mon eBay. Do the right thing have a notice of condition of voucher  before pressing buy. 

https://sellercentre.ebay.com.au/promo/afterpay10

Message 1 of 34
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@countessalmirena wrote:

Several studies reveal the horrifying truth - that most people really do not read those terms & conditions, even though they should.

I don't think it would be too difficult for eBay to clarify the voucher's being able to be used only once. Something like this would be just that extra head's-up to people who tend not to read T&Cs:

Enter code at checkout to redeem. Hurry, your single-use voucher expires 23/11/2021. Terms and conditions apply.
AFTERPAY10
For more details, see Terms and Conditions

When a buyer can misinterpret something like this unless they've already read the terms and conditions, it helps to make the buying experience as simple as one can.
-------------------------
Great suggestion!
When I read the opening post, I guess my first impression was-Didn't they realise most vouchers on ebay do tend to be one use vouchers? The answer of course is no, they didn't. I've used vouchers before, I have hung around the forum long enough to read about them too, so some knowledge sort of seeps in and it can be easy to forget that this isn't the case for all buyers.

Even those who do have a quick look at T&C's weill rarely diligently read every word. They will read as far as they think they need.
I read the T&C's. It is true that it is clear in #5 that the voucher can only be used once.
But the thing is, there are 18 T&C's.

And one thing I learnt in my teaching career, dealing with both students and their parents (and staff too, if we're honest here), is you can never make anything too simple. In fact, you need to make things as clear and simple as possible and then repeat them another way if you hope to have everyone on the same page.

I'd like to see the bit I highlighted in red as part of the ad when they first offer/advertise the discount to buyers. Right at the start. Then customers could click into terms and conditions to read up further.
I don't think it should need to come up as a 'warning' when the customer actually used the code, it would be better right at the start.

View solution in original post

Message 29 of 34
Latest reply
33 REPLIES 33

Contact eBay and tell them of your disgruntlement 

Of little use to post a c’mon eBay message on a member to member forum that nobody from eBay reads

Or read the t&c before rather than after. 

Message 2 of 34
Latest reply

Wow,  it clearly says before you buy,  Terms and conditions apply,   or are you one that doesnt read the T&C's then has a big sulk when they don't suit you.

Enter code at checkout to redeem. Hurry, your voucher expires 23/11/2021. Terms and conditions apply.
AFTERPAY10
For more details, see Terms and Conditions
Message 3 of 34
Latest reply

aga036
Community Member

NB. Perhaps I should have said  'Com'mon eBay. Do the right thing, have  in plain English  "you can only use once"  and not  'notice of conditions of voucher before pressing buy. ' 🙄

Message 4 of 34
Latest reply

Oh come on @sugar249 Don't be so narky. 😛

Message 5 of 34
Latest reply

aga036
Community Member

I thought this was a friendly forum. Obviously not. 

Message 6 of 34
Latest reply

Not reading the t&c because they are not 'plain English enough' still does'nt make it a scam

🙄

Message 7 of 34
Latest reply

@aga036 wrote:

Oh come on @sugar249 Don't be so narky. 😛

Just realistic  how many warnings do you want them to put up before you buy.

Have you ever heard of taking responsibility for your own actions.

Message 8 of 34
Latest reply

aga036
Community Member

As I have said @sugar249 why the narkiness? 

I was off guard thinking the voucher could be applied more than once when it popped up. 

It would appear to anyone other than those in the know that it could only be used once.

So I do feel put out. I took responsibility and continued with purchase rather than contacting seller to cancel.

Is it possible for kinder input by those replying.

Cheers one and all for an unhelpful  discussion forum. 

Message 9 of 34
Latest reply

I agree @aga036. There are some nasty types here, sadly.

Don't know why certain members just can't simply say "Unfortunately it's a single use voucher", and leave it at that. 

Message 10 of 34
Latest reply