Advertised for $7 - charged $999 AFTER checking out

I had selected a product 2x lithium batteries and placed it in my cart for a week. Changed quantity to 2 of the item, total product as per cart was $15 + free postage. Checked out using PayPal.

Checking my bank balance today I have been charged $1898.10!!! I was extremely confused and went back to the listing which has been updated to the price of $999 for 2x lithium batteries! (Double checked to ensure I didn’t buy 2 pallets worth for their price 😑)

Is this even possible to happen? Is it likely that the seller has been hacked? I have contacted the seller to advise not to post the item and to issue a refund ASAP as I won’t be buying two single batteries for $2k but no response, I have also lodged a PayPal claim.

Is there anything else I can do? And has anyone else experienced this?
Message 1 of 21
Latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Re: Advertised for $7 - charged $999 AFTER checking out

@lyndal1838 wrote:

At a guess I would say the batteries are out of stock and the seller increased the price so no-one would buy until they get more stock. 

Did you look at the listing price before purchasing the second battery?

Why oh why did you open a paypal dispute before checking here?  You may well lose it if it is not done properly.  If the seller posts an item with a tracking number you are done for.

I was wondering that same thing.

But I have to say, if I were a seller and did that, then someone bought at that price, I absolutely would not keep the money and just post the item. I'd feel honour bound to refund and explain. Anything else seems unethical.

I do hope the buyer succeeds in getting a refund. I am having trouble getting my head around the idea the price could alter after a purchase. Worth doing as dave said and re-checking that original listing.

Message 11 of 21
Latest reply

The history shows that the OP bought at a special offer price.....and no sign of the seller altering the price in the listing.

I have to wonder if ebay has been up to some shenanigans.

Message 12 of 21
Latest reply

What does the transaction show in your purchase history?

Message 13 of 21
Latest reply

I’m wondering if there was a glitch on Ebays end looking at the details. I had, had these items in my cart for about 2 weeks before checking out.

Would make sense if in that time the seller had changed the price to $999 due to being out of stock like you said, but it wasn’t updated in the cart and when I have checked out it has gone through at the adjusted price and not the price that the EBay shopping cart was showing.

Hopefully the seller responds soon, been waiting a few days now.
Message 14 of 21
Latest reply

@lizdav_ev9fa wrote:

I had selected a product 2x lithium batteries and placed it in my cart for a week. Changed quantity to 2 of the item, total product as per cart was $15 + free postage. Checked out using PayPal.

Checking my bank balance today I have been charged $1898.10!!! I was extremely confused and went back to the listing which has been updated to the price of $999 for 2x lithium batteries! (Double checked to ensure I didn’t buy 2 pallets worth for their price 😑)

Is this even possible to happen? Is it likely that the seller has been hacked? I have contacted the seller to advise not to post the item and to issue a refund ASAP as I won’t be buying two single batteries for $2k but no response, I have also lodged a PayPal claim.

I've looked at  the page. At first I thought somehow there was a mistake with the decimal point and it was suppposed to be $9.99. But then I looked at some other stuff. I saw ....  Seagate Expansion 2TB Portable USB3.0 Hard Drive HDD for AU $9,105.00 and then there's a 12V 'Coffee w/ Cup' LED Sign 43cm x 23cm w/ Power Adapter & Chain for Shop for AU $999.95. And then there's this .. Handgun Bottle Opener Keyring Metal key ring Keychain Caliber Winchester OZ for AU $999.65.

I wonder how the seller is still not aware of what's happened to their listings.

Message 15 of 21
Latest reply

Did you look to see if the seller has made alterations to the prices on those listings?

If thy did then of course they are aware of those prices.

Message 16 of 21
Latest reply

There's been no revision to the OP's item's price since 6th September

Message 17 of 21
Latest reply

It is looking more and more like ebay shenanigans.

Message 18 of 21
Latest reply

The OP had them in their cart for a 'fortnight'. Who knows when they actually carted them before finally deciding to purchase.

I suspect prior to 6 Sep.

Message 19 of 21
Latest reply

@lizdav_ev9fa wrote:

I've had a similar  experience but not via eBay.....but with PayPal. 
I bought an item off another site, price at checkout was $26AU. (Free postage) HOWEVER.... when it all went through PayPal and came up as 'transaction complete'.... it now showed $40AU and the original price now showing as USD 😳

Bugga, well not much I could do, so I waited for the item to arrive. It took 8 weeks due to covid..... 

I ordered a hanging cane cat basket. What I got was a 30cm x 30 cm cloth cat hammock. Value $3AU listed on the label. Man, was I annoyed.

I took photos of everything. I put in a PayPal claim for a refund. The seller was VERY quick to reply, saying things like, return item for refund.... I answered NO. Give me a refund! 
He'd say: I give you partial refund! ...... I answered NO. Give me a full refund.

I went on to add all my pictures to the listing, showing original costs, changed costs at checkout, the parcel I received etc (I screenshot everything 😊) and I called him a scammer.

then I get an PayPal message saying the seller has given me a full refund, this case is now closed.

good I thought. 😉. But.... I still kept getting msg from PayPal saying I needed to respond to the open case, but when I went to it in PayPal, there was nowhere for me to respond to! It was very weird and I put it down to a glitch. 🤷‍♀️

Paypal FAQ states refunds may take up to 30 days to show back into your account or bank account. Which ever source the funds came from.  'Sigh....30 days' 😑

Then I got a PayPal msg saying the case closed because I didnt respond to the seller.  I'm like whaaaaaatttttt????? 
No refund has turned up. It's now been 2mths since I got the 'seller has given you a full refund' msg.  

I think this 'seller' has been able to manipulate PayPal somehow. It's my only conclusion..... and since it came from China (even though it stated it was coming from Sydney) I think it's possible they've learned how to piggy-back PayPal. 

Goodness, I hope you can get your money back....... 🙏🙏🙏. Good luck with it all. 

********* *********** *********** ************ ************ *********** ***********
Be Kind To Nurses....
They Stop The Doctors From Killing You.
Message 20 of 21
Latest reply