Argyle Pink Diamond eBay Vendors from Thailand

There are several businesses located in Thailand operating on eBay that have multiple stores but are one and the same company. 

Quite often these vendors will offer to supply  certificates (at a cost) from a variety of diamond certifiers such as GIA, IGA, GIL , etc. The one I was corresponding with informed me that a GIA certificate could be supplied at a price in the hundreds of dollars but GIL Thailand at a fraction of the cost. 

Here's a real life quick summary:

eBay vendor from Thailand is offering a 0.20 carat, "VS" (VS1 or VS2?) ARGYLE pink natural diamond HTHP (high temperature high pressure - check the Internet to understand the process) "mined from the earth." You may pay extra for a certificate if you wish. 

If they're offering a diamond specifically described as above surely they HAVE THE PROOF that it is exactly as described? Surely that proof is a genuine certificate already in their possession? Otherwise, how could they so accurately describe it? Why should you need to purchase a certificate? They should be supplying a certificate to confirm that they've honestly and accurately described the item they're selling to you. 

Bottom line: Buyer beware. If a vendor doesn't thoroughly answer all your questions, be suspicious. If a vendor inadequately answers your questions, be very suspicious. If a vendor doesn't respond in a timely manner, beware of them.  And if a vendor doesn't pass what I call the "logical sniff test," I'd recommend that you avoid them like the plague. 

Message 1 of 27
Latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Re: Argyle Pink Diamond eBay Vendors from Thailand

Sounds like a plan to me! 🙂

Message 11 of 27
Latest reply

From memory you could buy these in packs, and were supplied with a COA per lot, not per individual stone.  Lovely little blighters and last time I checked they were  appreciating very nicely.

I suppose the larger more valuable individual stones, would come with an individual  COA

Message 12 of 27
Latest reply

@sterling001 wrote:

Oh really? Can you give me  the precise figures insofar all members of eBay whom visit the boards, the breakdown of the circumstances in which a post will be viewed. For example, what is the exact percentage of people who will go to the boards because they have a problem, BUT then happen to see and read another post on an unrelated matter? (I've done that many times.) There are so many nuances in which I'd like to question an eBay sage, like yourself. Precise figures only, please. No anecdotal nonsense, thank you. 

I've been on eBay since 2006. I know what's going on here, pal. So far I'm unimpressed by these so-called "knowledgeable" people who are dishing out advice such as check the feedback. DUH? Er... doesn't that go without saying? I even had one who checked my profile and stated that she wouldn't support a vendor with a rating just below 100%. Well, bully for her. I happen to have a different view regarding the methods to be used before making a purchase. And these methods have served me well. 

Looking forward to seeing the breakdown of those figures. 😀

It's very easy to see how many members have viewed this topic.

I'm not very bright & have no trouble doing so.

Should be a walk in the park for some one as clever & modest as you.

Message 13 of 27
Latest reply

repentatleisure1952 wrote:

It's very easy to see how many members have viewed this topic.

I'm not very bright & have no trouble doing so.

Should be a walk in the park for some one as clever & modest as you.

Yes, at any given time it's easy to see how many members viewed this thread. However, if you carefully read my post you'll, perhaps, be able to see that I wasn't asking for the figures on this topic. Rather, I was asking for the figures relating to the anecdotal  "evidence" presented by the other poster where he was taking in general terms about the boards. But I do realize (as I did from the beginning) that it's NOT just people who've experienced a problem buying Argyle pink diamonds that are viewing this thread. Blind Freddy can see that. So, why was someone trying to suggest that I was "preaching to the converted," and that only after the fact do people view these boards? That they don't serve to alert people to avoid possible problems? 

Message 14 of 27
Latest reply

Why?

Because davewill is correct.

Look at any topic & you will see how few lurkers there are.

Compared to the total membership pool it's a tiny %.

Message 15 of 27
Latest reply

You've actually made my point.

If I were to purchase pink diamonds from Thailand - I'd jump a plane - and choose.

The whole point was - COA pay extra - pay upfront for what - the red flag - * pink diamonds from Thailand * on eBay.

Good grief.

Message 16 of 27
Latest reply

It'd  be more a case of a genuine buyer buying on a risky platform. 

Sterling001, that is exactly what ebay can be, I am afraid.

Because it is made up of thousands of individual sellers, you're always going to have a mix of bad ones and scammers, along with the majority who are fine.

Personally, I would steer clear of any expensive purchase coming from overseas unless I was very sure of the seller. For something like diamonds, I don't have a lot of knowledge but I thought their sale was restricted so as to keep the values up so I wouldn't expect to see bargain basement prices for the real thing. I also wouldn't know a fake from the real thing, so if I wanted a diamond, I'd go to a reputable store in Australia.

But it isn't only diamonds where you need to be careful, the boards are full of people buying things where they find out down the track that the guarantee isn't worth the paper it is written on (if it is even written on paper).

So it pays to be wary before any purchase. Ebay has a money back guarantee but I am not 100% confident you could get your money back just for saying something was not genuine in your opinion. Faulty, yes, or failed to arrive, I think you'd win those.

I take your point about buyers genuinely experiencing problems then facing restrictions. In my opinion, what should happen first is if a company such as ebay or paypal is uneasy about the number of claims a person has made, it should immediately put a human on to investigate the next case. Look at photos etc, to make a call. I don't think that always happens on ebay, some buyers can make a 'faulty' claim and win automatically by default.

But regardless of right or wrong, it is the way of the world that if you make too many claims with any company, they flag you as a high risk customer and try to cut you off.

Message 17 of 27
Latest reply

There is no club and we do not 'cross mark each other's posts, we are not children cheering each other on

I am sorry if you do not like factual replies

That is what most members here give, we leave the 'telling people what they want to hear' to eBay 

The regulars here also know full well to do all the things you instruct people to do

And to put it simply, again

Many buyers simply do not care

Read any of the posts along the lines of 'why did eBay let me buy' 'why does ebay allow the seller I supported to sell' etc etc

Message 18 of 27
Latest reply

Excuse me, that's all fine and dandy but it doesn't support the contention that people only read these boards AFTER they've had a problem, like "davewill" was saying. Get it? I'm sorry, but...er... you're wrong, and davewill is wrong. I asked for the figures in terms of who's reading these boards when they've NOT experienced a problem. Currently, there AREN'T over 200 people that have come here to read this board searching it because they've had a problem buying an Argyle oink diamond. Do you comprehend what I'm saying? 

Message 19 of 27
Latest reply

Yes, good grief - agreed. Jumping a plane is no guarantee you won't get ripped off in Thailand? There's a famous Thai diamond scam that targets people who do what you're suggesting. (Go Google Thai diamond scam.)  I don't know what point you think you're making? But my point is to alert unwary eBay users to the pitfalls of buying what seems like a bargain. What, precisely, is your problem with that? All Thai gem dealers on eBay aren't assumed to be scammers. But there are unscrupulous dealers in many categories on eBay. My post is dealing specifically with people whom are interested in Argyle pink diamonds,  making them aware of what to ask vendors and what to look for, including fake certificates. Problem with that?

Message 20 of 27
Latest reply