Asking a question?

I simply asked a seller, was the item they were selling being posted in a 3kg satchel or a 500 g satchel.

Their response, 'yes a satchel'.  OK, I thought my question was fairly straight forward so I replied, 'which one' to their response 'why?'

I'm not sure why it's that hard for the seller to honestly tell me which satchel they'd be using and why so curt with the replies? If I'd walked into a shop and received comments like this to a question, I'd immediately walk straight back out!  Common courtesy goes a long way IMO!!  

Message 1 of 22
Latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Re: Asking a question?

Probably not uncommon but there are alot of great sellers and I love receiving detailed replies from sellers. Even if the item is exactly the same, communication between buyer and seller can really make a difference on how the item (and transaction as a whole) is perceived. Basic customer service 101.

Still, though, you can't please everyone... Maybe they just gave up bothering after alot of bad experiences with buyers/questions.

Message 11 of 22
Latest reply

My exact words were (have removed my town and postcode) ... 

"Hi there.
Just wondering would this item be posted in a 3kg satchel or a 500g satchel or by some other means?
I'm in xxxxxx 32xx.
Thanks, Lee"

I though that being within hours of each other, depending on how the item was posted, it should be fairly inexpensive.  I did check the postage section and it only stated that it would be sent via standard postage.  Most sellers here use satchels or the click and send satchels but I thought I'd just ask anyway before I bought it.

Message 12 of 22
Latest reply

The seller has now responded saying they thought I was a scammer!  My question still remains unanswered, so I guess I'll just buy elsewhere. 

Message 13 of 22
Latest reply

The seller is a fool. There's no reason for a scammer to enquire about pre paid bags.

TCT
Message 14 of 22
Latest reply

I would think it was sus also (as a seller). Why do you care? except for maybe paying more for postage, which no doubt includes a handling fee...

Message 15 of 22
Latest reply

It is your right to clarify all details before purchase and you have done the right thing if the cost of postage is unclear so why they thought you were a scammer is strange.

As for the "Why do you care?" question, what is wrong with wanting to know upfront what exactly the buyer will be paying for in the way of postage method?

A lot of buyers would care.

Message 16 of 22
Latest reply

It is your right to clarify all details before purchase and you have done the right thing if the cost of postage is unclear so why they thought you were a scammer is strange.

As for the "Why do you care?" question, what is wrong with wanting to know upfront what exactly the buyer will be paying for in the way of postage method?

A lot of buyers would care.

A 500g over a 3kg really. I do agree but who cares with paypal protection

Message 17 of 22
Latest reply

insert "so called"

Message 18 of 22
Latest reply

i have seen thread after thread and comment after comment, telling people they need to ask all the questions they need BEFORE they make a bid. Now we have a thread telling a person who has asked a question, that it seems strange that they need to know what sort of satchel their item would be posted in . You cant have it both ways, tell them to ask questions before they bid, and then when they do tell them that it seems a little sus as to why you would need to know that information.

It seems clear to me, from what the OP has posted, the seller has left the postage price blank with the exception of stating standard postage. So the OP would like to know what the postage will be if they win, will it be a 500gm satchel or a 3kg satchel.

If the OP came in here and started a thread stating they had won an auction but they were charged too higher postage fees, everyone would be telling them ask before you bid.

Message 19 of 22
Latest reply

Yep

Message 20 of 22
Latest reply