Bidding on a sword overseas and can't bid

Tried to bid on a sword from the states. Listed with GSP (yes I hate GSP but postage was cheaper by half than usps prices for similar items). Anyway confirmed bid and get a pop up saying that I can't bid because of buying restrictions on that item from that country and inability to post to Australia.

Is this a GSP rule? Never had any issue from the USA before with the same style of item being listed with usps postage. Does GSP consider it an illegal item or something? They're a non restricted import.
Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

imastawka
Honored Contributor

Piney Bowes who run the GSP won't send a sword.  They'll say it's restricted

even if it's not.

Even if you could bid - and win - they won't send it.  You'll lose the item and your money.

They won't even let people buy butter knives.

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

As said GSP will consficate it but I think it is the seller that has postage to your location blocked.

image host
Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

Kopes I've seen a lot that are listed as won't post to Australia and you can't physically bid (shows buying options instead of place bid). This one I was able to place the bid but not confirm. Another I was outbid on (dodged a bullet there as it was GSP too).

If GSP can't or won't send shouldn't it be blocked automatically?

Wonder why they have that policy in place? Certainly would have been in for a fight if they'd decided to take my bid and then not send my item - would they not be legally required to refund? Under Australian law if someone charges for a service or product and has no intention of providing it that's fraud. Should be covered purchasing under an Aussie credit card you'd think.
Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

I am thinking seller blocks but don't know if the US site has auto restrictions on certain items, it's possible.

And postage regs can come under custom laws, being it is buyer's responsibility to know if it can enter legally.

Apart from GSP it may be considered a weapon locally.

If GSP consficate, you would normally get a refund under PayPal INR and seller loses item, perhaps that's why the blocks.

A new thing to GSP perhaps.

image host
Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

Not sure. But I know for a fact swords are a perfectly legal import into Australia. Some states restrict ownership but not qld. Some restrict if they're sharp.

So to my thinking it would need to be in writing somewhere in the t&c for GSP to be valid since customs and qld law are both fine with it. Might need to look into it. Another reason to dislike GSP as if we needed another.....maybe a GSP **bleep** covering exercise.

Doesn't make sense for a shipper to confiscate an item bound for a country where it's legal while still in the USA where it's also legal
Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

They've even been known to confiscate guitars and drum kits.

How illegal are they to import?    Not.

If they confiscate, then they get to sell them in their own online store.

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

Don't waste your time and energy.  If Pitney Bowes says it is a restricted import that is the end of it.  They will not ship it no matter how much you argue.

If you look at the rules of the GSP you will find that they have the final say in what they will ship.   As Stawks says...not even a butter knife will enter Australia via the GSP.

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

I'm not looking to argue with them I just know not to bother with GSP listings for such things.

But surely this is documented or laid out somewhere for buyers to see? Should ebay not automatically exclude such listings from GSP and from Aussie bids?
Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

Like I was able to bid on one earlier this week. Luckily I was outbid. But seems wrong that I was able to get bids on there if the item would never have shipped.
Message 10 of 10
Latest reply