Counterfeit item

I purchased what was listed as a "genuine" Dyson product. I have since sent my item to Dyson as I suspected it was a counterfeit. Dyson has confirmed it was and they won't return it, it is to be destroyed. I am trying to get a refund from the seller. 

The seller doesn't believe me that the item was a fake, even though I have provided documentation from Dyson.

eBay won't help me as it's outside the 30 day return window, and I payed by afterpay which are absolutely useless.

Do I have any options other than cut my losses??

Message 1 of 33
Latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

Re: Counterfeit item

The seller is absolutely NOT working with you to find a solution. The seller has your money, it is more than 30 days since receipt and you never opened a dispute. The seller 100% knows there's nothing you can do and any communication with them is word salad.

If the seller genuinely wanted to help you, they would cancel the transaction and refund your money. It is entirely in their power to do so.

Message 11 of 33
Latest reply

I agree

Sorry to say

It is odd that they did'nt know it was'nt the real deal, but they know to only use stock photos of a real one, not one they have in their possession and that they say on listings don't leave neg feedback

Sorry, but I think they are full of pork pies

Message 12 of 33
Latest reply

I see a lot of high end products go through auctions as lost freight so some people would not know what they are buying to resell unless familiar with that product.  

Message 13 of 33
Latest reply

I don't think you need to be familiar with a brand to understand that it is quite likely that the items could be counterfeit. Sellers assume all responsibility for a listing, so anyone who picks up random items at auction for the purposes of resale is taking a risk, especially if they throw in the word "genuine", as in the case of the OP.

I would definitely be using negative feedback to bring attention to the fact that a counterfeit item was sold.

Message 14 of 33
Latest reply

@fungungry wrote:

. But I seriously thought it was genuine. I phoned Dyson about the serial number and that was when they mentioned it might be fake, I didn't know they wouldn't return my item and they never mentioned it. How else was I supposed to know it might be fake?? 

What led you to phone Dyson? Was the item playing up and you wanted it repaired under warranty, or something like that?

One thing I have learnt from these boards is that ebay just isn't the place to buy any higher end, brand name products. Not unless you're buying from an authorised seller.

Unless you bought using paypal, or can do a chargeback, I am not sure how you can get your money back. Not helpful, I know. If you can claim on paypal (Do they have afterpay? I think they may but not sure), do so, even though you don't have the item. You have the letter from Dyson to prove it cannot be returned.

One thing you may be able to do is contact Dyson with details of your item number and user name of seller and ask if they can contact ebay to say that seller sold a fake item. That is, if the serial number was showing in the ad and you show them the photos to prove that.

Ebay may close that seller down if Dyson contacts them. Don't know if that would work but worth a try.

Message 15 of 33
Latest reply

The Dyson website wouldn't accept the serial number. So I called them and that's when the said it may be fake. 

I'm going to contact my bank tomorrow and see what my options are.

Message 16 of 33
Latest reply

Is it possible the item is a grey import, rather than a fake.   Gray imports are unlikely to be recognized by Dyson Australia, as they were not the importer and are unlikely to offer any assistance with the product.

Message 17 of 33
Latest reply

bryzen
Community Member

My old dyson,the motor burned out and replaced it with a so called cheap inferior motor.

Buy a non brand name and recoup your losses.

Message 18 of 33
Latest reply

@bryzen wrote:

My old dyson,the motor burned out and replaced it with a so called cheap inferior motor.

Buy a non brand name and recoup your losses.

That is NOT good advice, most cheap electrical imports are NOT compliant with Australian electrical codes, so if the item goes faulty and someone gets hurt/your house burns down you have no insurance to get you out of trouble.

DON'T DO IT.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 19 of 33
Latest reply

Sorry - but NOT GOOD ADVICE.

Message 20 of 33
Latest reply