Counterfeit item

I purchased what was listed as a "genuine" Dyson product. I have since sent my item to Dyson as I suspected it was a counterfeit. Dyson has confirmed it was and they won't return it, it is to be destroyed. I am trying to get a refund from the seller. 

The seller doesn't believe me that the item was a fake, even though I have provided documentation from Dyson.

eBay won't help me as it's outside the 30 day return window, and I payed by afterpay which are absolutely useless.

Do I have any options other than cut my losses??

Message 1 of 33
Latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

Counterfeit item

You could try a chargeback with your bank if Afterpay took the money from there and you didn't have any funds in your Afterpay account.

Message 2 of 33
Latest reply

Counterfeit item

Counterfeit item

You could try a charge back with your bank.

After pay has nothing to do with refunds.... and as you have found out eBay's Money Back Guarantee is only good for 30 days.

Did you not suspect "it was a counterfeit" when you received the item?

Message 4 of 33
Latest reply

Counterfeit item

I take it this was from the seller who had an unusual number of the same, numerous items for a small seller and mostly only stock photos for all their items?

Who then go on to say 'don't leave negative feedback' ?

What did Dyson have to say about this person selling so many (what they claim to be) genuine Dyson products? 

Message 5 of 33
Latest reply

Counterfeit item

No I didn't. It was so legitimate down to the smallest details. I only suspected when Dyson wouldn't accept the serial number

Message 6 of 33
Latest reply

Counterfeit item

Exactly!

Message 7 of 33
Latest reply

Counterfeit item

Unfortunately not alot. They apologized for my loss and gave me a letter I can use to help get a refund from the seller. Appart from that they didn't do much 

Message 8 of 33
Latest reply

Counterfeit item

You went about this the wrong way.

Unless you bought from an authorised Dyson distributor, it is highly unlikely that the item would be genuine. Most major brands do not authorise random sellers to sell their products as they lose control of quality in the supply chain. Even if the item was genuine, there are no warranties that can be enforced through third party Ebay sellers. 

You didn't need to involve Dyson at all, let alone go to the expense of sending it to them.

All you had to to was open a case for Not as Described within 30 days of receipt. This would have put the onus on the seller to either give you a postage label or postage funds upfront if they wanted it back, or they would have had to refund you.

Of course the seller won't "believe" you that the item is fake - they know full well that they are selling counterfeit item to gullible buyers.

Message 9 of 33
Latest reply

Counterfeit item

I understand what your saying. But I seriously thought it was genuine. I phoned Dyson about the serial number and that was when they mentioned it might be fake, I didn't know they wouldn't return my item and they never mentioned it. How else was I supposed to know it might be fake?? 

The seller has actually been really helpful, he fully believed the item was real too (so he says) and is working with me for a solution. 

Message 10 of 33
Latest reply