Counterfeit item

I purchased what was listed as a "genuine" Dyson product. I have since sent my item to Dyson as I suspected it was a counterfeit. Dyson has confirmed it was and they won't return it, it is to be destroyed. I am trying to get a refund from the seller. 

The seller doesn't believe me that the item was a fake, even though I have provided documentation from Dyson.

eBay won't help me as it's outside the 30 day return window, and I payed by afterpay which are absolutely useless.

Do I have any options other than cut my losses??

Message 1 of 33
Latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

Counterfeit item

I looked these up and they make cheap copies of a number of Dyson products. From what I read unless you have 2 side by side or are familiar with them they are hard to tell. Apples products are the same and I see these get sold at auction regularly and am guessing many are copies.

Message 21 of 33
Latest reply

Counterfeit item

I may be wrong but I read the comment different. I felt they are saying buy a cheap no name brand instead of one that costs 20 times as much. 

Message 22 of 33
Latest reply

Counterfeit item

@eol-products wrote:

I may be wrong but I read the comment different. I felt they are saying buy a cheap no name brand instead of one that costs 20 times as much. 

That wouldn't be a problem IF they were Australian-compliant - which I would very much doubt.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 23 of 33
Latest reply

Counterfeit item

Why would they not be compliant. Cheap brands may not last as long but they can still meet safety standards or are we talking about imported products directly from chinese sellers. 

Message 24 of 33
Latest reply

Counterfeit item

eol (I hope you don’t mind my shortening your username…?), I was reading it as meaning fake Dysons (thus prohibited) rather than dupe products “inspired by” or being marketed as “similar to” Dyson (but not pretending to be Dyson) that have been produced to Australian standards and bear a RCM; it should have EESS Conformity Certification (CCS) and should be fit for purpose.

That is, unbranded as opposed to having a relatively unknown brand name or a brand name that’s known to comprise cheap items.

I am heroically avoiding talking about the Perilous Saga of the Decaying Toasting Machine… which is all about the evil toaster “made-to-die” industry, and how at last I thwarted the villains.

Message 25 of 33
Latest reply

Counterfeit item

@eol-products wrote:

Why would they not be compliant. Cheap brands may not last as long but they can still meet safety standards or are we talking about imported products directly from chinese sellers. 

bryzen was talking about cheap electrical motors, those would be more than likely made in China and very unlikely to be compliant.

I certainly would want a compliant one, if I was to buy one, for my own reassurance. After all, what is more important - saving dollars or saving lives/your house ?

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 26 of 33
Latest reply

Counterfeit item

If you go to Bunnings you will see a cheap power tool for $14.95 and the same tool different brand for $200. Both do the same job and for most people the cheap tool is good enough. The difference is when you use that tool for 8 hours non stop the cheap tool may not make it compared to the dearer tool which will not miss a beat. Both tools are still made in China.

Message 27 of 33
Latest reply

Counterfeit item

A conclusion from an assumption.

"cheap electrical motor" was indeed compliant.

The boy who cried wolf springs to mind.

Message 28 of 33
Latest reply

Counterfeit item

Speaking of ' tools '. LOL

Message 29 of 33
Latest reply

Counterfeit item

@eol-products wrote:

If you go to Bunnings you will see a cheap power tool for $14.95 and the same tool different brand for $200. Both do the same job and for most people the cheap tool is good enough. The difference is when you use that tool for 8 hours non stop the cheap tool may not make it compared to the dearer tool which will not miss a beat. Both tools are still made in China.

Good god, you can’t be serious? 
The difference is quality AND value for money! 

Your el-Chinese -cheapo-brand will burn out after 8hrs -16hrs work, while your better quality made one will see you through 10yrs or more. 
So, you tell me what is better value for money! 
I’ve got many power tools over 10yrs old….. a bit battered to look at, some covered in paint splatter, but still working like they did day one! 

There are some items worth opening your wallet that little bit extra for! 😉$😎

********* *********** *********** ************ ************ *********** ***********
Be Kind To Nurses....
They Stop The Doctors From Killing You.
Message 30 of 33
Latest reply