Counterfeit non-genuine goods - DO35 Coupling

bernie4634
Community Member

Ebay needs to be far more diligent and proactive with implementing their counterfeit goods policy.

I recently purchased a supposed Cruisemaster DO35 offroad coupling (hitch) for trailer or caravan. When the item was received, I then realised it was most likely non-genuine or counterfeit which Cruisemaster themselves confirmed. I spoke with an ebay representative regards this and they assisted with initiating a return / refund request which the seller actioned immediately, refunding the purchase price in full with no requirement to return the item.

Unfortunately this dodgy DO35 item is still listed on ebay by 4 or 5 different sellers. They are all priced at $360 and many buyers may not recognise them as non-genuine. (They can be identified by a complete lack of OEM (Cruisemaster) labelling and other aspects.) Fitting such non-genuine items to trailers or caravans may void insurance claims. My main concern however is these safety critical items are likely substandard and could lead to serious accidents with fatalities should they fail. In such cases I'm sure the seller would be implicit and I believe ebay may be implicit also in facilitating the marketing of such items.

Message 1 of 36
Latest reply
35 REPLIES 35

@bernie4634 wrote:

Ebay needs to be far more diligent and proactive with implementing their counterfeit goods policy.

Buyers need to be diligent, one look at that seller's feedback would have shown you they are registered in China, so any goods coming from them are likely to be counterfeit.

eBay can't and won't look at every listing on their platform to check authenticity - an impossible task.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 2 of 36
Latest reply

eBay do not vet listings

You chose to buy from a seller who is registered in China and who has utterly appalling feedback

Buyers who keep these sellers in business are always ready to 'blame eBay' yet never willing to take any responsibility themselves for their poor buying choices

Buyers would be well aware if they cared enough to look at who they are buying from

You are 100% correct re safety concerns

People need to stop buying knock off rubbish from sellers in China 

Simple as that

Message 3 of 36
Latest reply

I was not aware the seller was from China and their feedback was recorded as 100% positive at the time.

I may have been a bit harsh on ebay but I had alerted them as soon as I became aware and felt the need to alert others. This was the responsible thing to do.

Message 4 of 36
Latest reply

(They can be identified by a complete lack of OEM (Cruisemaster) labelling 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Add to that, it is sold as  unbranded.

Counterfeit has flown out the window.

Message 5 of 36
Latest reply

These listings give the impression they are genuine 375036540525 and 355177408444 . Most people would not know what to look for to see that they aren't.

This is the genuine with factory markings 195062033772

Message 6 of 36
Latest reply

@sandypebbles wrote:

You chose to buy from a seller who is registered in China and who has utterly appalling feedback

Simple as that

Lets be fair to this buyer,  the 2 negs which the seller has,  were gained in the last month, one being from this buyer.  So feedback may have been perfect,  and I say that being the first person to jump on anyone buying from low feedback sellers.

There are other giveaways in the ad, which would steer me away.

Message 7 of 36
Latest reply

Cheap knock offs, dodgy seller,  but that does not equal counterfeit.  Possible breach of TM in the heading, but apart from that sold as unbranded, no product identifiers, so not counterfeit

Message 8 of 36
Latest reply

Listing "for Cruisemaster" under Brand in item specifics is very misleading for this listing 375036540525 not to mention the title "Cruisemaster DO35 V3-I PLUS Off Road Coupling".

Message 9 of 36
Latest reply

The one the OP bought was listed as unbranded.  No matter how you like to paint it, they are not counterfeit.

Fake, shonky, misleading, possible breach of TM, (which some claim is not relevant in Aust).

Message 10 of 36
Latest reply