Double charging double trouble

For the first time I used the eBay Australia cart feature to simplify purchasing. I added four items from four different retailers into the cart with the same delivery address. 

Total $353.90 … waited for the eBay Australia system to do its thing. All good, no problems. Processed successfully. 

Four days later I’m in regional NSW and attempt to pay from the same bank account the above funds are sourced from. Declined. Try iPhone again. Declined. Use ATM card declined. 

Highly embarrassed, I make apologies to staff and return goods.

Outside the store I check my balance using the bank app. Zero dollars. I look at the transactions. There are the four items individually charged totalling $353.90 … but there’s also an eBay Australia lump sum pending.

That’s right - $353.90!

My bank has assessed from the information they’ve received that my account is  now overdrawn by $353.90 and so any deposit I make into that account reduces against the $353.90 debt.

After a weekend of no money and no food I talk to the staff at the bank branch today. They say the problem is eBay Australia’s and I need to contact them before the bank can dispute the second $353.90 pending transaction.

eBay Australia say it’s not their problem it’s my bank and I’m sent an email to take to my bank explaining it all. Branch manager says she’s never seen anything like it and the eBay Australia information is wrong. 

From the bank’s (and my) perspective I’ve been charged a lump sum - pending but withdrawn from my account - plus the four individual transactions totalling the lump sum. 

It’s now early Tuesday morning. Still no money, no access to food, and no one willing to take responsibility. I’m a long term eBay buyer and a casual seller. I will not ever use the cart function to save time ever again. 

Where’s the money? Bank says eBay Australia has it and eBay Australia says it’s still with my bank. I know one thing - it’s not where it should be and that’s in my account. 

Could make a great news story. 

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Had the same thing , but my bank are now disputing the double payments from ebay site / merchants . So as a buyer i will no longer buy from ebay 

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

Yep they juat done this to me as well. 

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

Ok but has the problem been fixed. I must say I find it a little hard to believe that there is no money to buy some food though. Only costs 98 cents for a cup of noodles if one is that poor.

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

@ratman0100 wrote:

Ok but has the problem been fixed. I must say I find it a little hard to believe that there is no money to buy some food though. Only costs 98 cents for a cup of noodles if one is that poor.

I can get a 4 pack of 2 minute noodles for 2 bucks (they are a staple in my job!). Name brand at that. Chuck a cup of frozen peas and corn through, you could do a lot worse. That said, I hope the OP has sorted their food issues since posting over a year ago. Or they have starved to death. I'd hate to think they are eating catfood (which is way dearer than people food!).

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

We have had the exact same issues on three occasions now, eBay double charges us when the amount is over $200. My partner and I transfer all of our money to one account and transfer to our spending account for each transaction that we make. On Friday, I used the cart feature and, prior to making the payment, transferred the $203.38 to my account. The payment was processed and the funds were taken from our account but then today we woke to find our account overdrawn for the amount of $203.38 with a pending transaction of $203.38. 

THIS IS FRAUD! Today, I have had enough, I will be reporting this to my bank as a fraudulent payment and will also be contacting the ACCC as I have instructed my bank to not allow any form of overdraw to occur on my account on 12 separate occasions, yet they do not listen. Ebay has no right to double-charge anyone! And, if I clear was to clear my overdraw balance, not only will it leave me in a financial crisis but it will also mean that I will have to wait for 7 days until eBay realizes that they have charged me twice for the same items. 

We are forced to have a bank account yet we have no real control over our own money. The bank can take funds willy nilly and without a thought for their consumer as they do not see $200 as a large sum of money but if I stole $200 from them it would be considered as theft or I would be charged a fee on top of that. 

THIS HAS TO STOP! 

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

Did you read the link that Gutterpunk posted ?

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

@padi*0409 wrote:

Did you read the link that Gutterpunk posted ?

Why would they do that,  they couldnt yell fraud at us, hope they have fun at the ACCC

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply