EBAY is wrongly charging GST ON postage,GST only applies to the item price and not postage

Be aware ebay is wrongfully charging 10% GST on the  postage cost at checkout when buying from an international seller when buying on ebay Australia.GST should only apply to the item and NOT the postage costs 

Message 1 of 109
Latest reply
108 REPLIES 108

Re: EBAY is wrongly charging GST ON postage,GST only applies to the item price and not postage

Did you read the previous post to yours? The one by the countess?

It sets out in detail how it works. Given you have provided no relevant information, you are unlikely to get better information than that.

Message 91 of 109
Latest reply

Re: EBAY is wrongly charging GST ON postage,GST only applies to the item price and not postage

@brerrabbit585 wrote:
When GST has been charged on consignments worth over $1,000 it's always been charged on item price + postage. The only thing that's changed is that it's not limited to items/consignments worth over $1,000.

GST = Goods & Services Tax. Postage is a service. It's also part of the total cost to get the goods to you.

What **bleep**!!...GST is an iniquitous and repetitive tax. When I buy stamps I pay GST is applicable....your sticking them on a letter is not a service....

Message 92 of 109
Latest reply

More interesting after ripping us off at 15% (Tom Tom rips us at 17.5%) is that there is no certainty the Australian government gets the gst....on eBays record...it's doubtful.

Message 93 of 109
Latest reply

So much for the theory...remits it?...I say b/s....What kind of scum in Australia charges gst on postage?....right..EBAY does.

Message 94 of 109
Latest reply

eBay doesn't give a toss...it's a rip off organisation this forum is just a 'ventilation'  exercise....unfortunately becasue eBay...like that MonsterTrump thinks it rules the world.....it's not interested in the laws of countries.

Message 95 of 109
Latest reply

@oldmosmanite wrote:

More interesting after ripping us off at 15% (Tom Tom rips us at 17.5%) is that there is no certainty the Australian government gets the gst....on eBays record...it's doubtful.

GST is 10%. You claim to be in Australia, but don't seem to understand Australian GST.

eBay, by law, has to remit the GST collected to the ATO.

Message 96 of 109
Latest reply

@oldmosmanite wrote:

So much for the theory...remits it?...I say b/s....What kind of scum in Australia charges gst on postage?....right..EBAY does.

Everybody does. ALL postage in Australia includes GST. That's the 'S' bit in GST.

You really need to get a grip. You don't seem to understand facts.

And eBay don't charge GST on postage. They charge GST, as they are required to by Australian law, on their fees. Which include postage.

If you had actually READ this thread, you would know that.

Message 97 of 109
Latest reply

Always love it when Dennis Denuto turns up. Makes my day.

Message 98 of 109
Latest reply

sa-kiwi
Community Member

UPDATE: 05/07/2021

Ebay has confirmed they are charging you 13.4% on the postage charges you have already paid GST on.

Totally illegal and they seen convinced they are in the right!

I'm going to try and report them to the ATO.

To this end, I will now withdraw any support on buying or selling on Ebay until this is resolved.

Message 99 of 109
Latest reply

GST is legally allowed to be charged on postage. Postage is a service. What do you think the S in GST stands for?

Let us know how you get on with reporting to the ATO. Why not go ACCC too? That is most people's first port of call when they make threats.

Message 100 of 109
Latest reply