EBAY is wrongly charging GST ON postage,GST only applies to the item price and not postage

Be aware ebay is wrongfully charging 10% GST on the  postage cost at checkout when buying from an international seller when buying on ebay Australia.GST should only apply to the item and NOT the postage costs 

Message 1 of 109
Latest reply
108 REPLIES 108

EBAY is wrongly charging GST ON postage,GST only applies to the item price and not postage

UPDATE: 05/07/2021

That equates to 10% +13.4%  = 23.4% GST on postage here in Australia.

Message 101 of 109
Latest reply

@sa-kiwi wrote:

UPDATE: 05/07/2021

Ebay has confirmed they are charging you 13.4% on the postage charges you have already paid GST on.

Totally illegal and they seen convinced they are in the right!

I'm going to try and report them to the ATO.

To this end, I will now withdraw any support on buying or selling on Ebay until this is resolved.

They are also charging GST-inclusive final value fees on the item you're selling, which often has GST paid on it as well.

You're conflating GST on eBay fees with GST on the item / postage, which is incorrect. You pay a fee to ebay for "services rendered" (i.e. the use of the site to sell an item), which is charged on the order total, including postage, and eBay are legally obliged to charge GST on that service - they did ask members to help fight the decision made by the ATO to force them to do this, but very few were onboard with that until it was far too late.

When you report them to the ATO, their answer is pretty much just going to be "good, that's what they're supposed to be doing", I'm afraid. 

Message 102 of 109
Latest reply

Wrong.

eBay charge GST on their fees, nothing else.

I wouldn't embarrass myself by taking that to the ATO, but I'm obviously not you. For example, I can do maths. I can also look at my fees and see exactly what I'm paying.

Are you on MP? If not, how do you know what the exact charges are? If so, why don't you know what you're actually paying?

Message 103 of 109
Latest reply

Another case of , I don't like something so I am going to make a false report to the ATO

Message 104 of 109
Latest reply

i dont understand how consumer affairs has not become involved in this sham.

Message 105 of 109
Latest reply

@just-one-shot wrote:

i dont understand how consumer affairs has not become involved in this sham.

I understand.

Message 106 of 109
Latest reply

Australia Post is already Charging GST. Their Prices, as per Australian Law, are advertised as what you Pay, and already include the GST component within. So where Vendors are charging GST on the Postage Component of an Invoice, we are Paying GST twice, as well as GST on GST. How is it that a seller is collecting GST for Australia Post, who are also collecting GST for the same Service!! The same Service because The Item only gets Posted Once. And SO, we should only be subject to the GST for that Service - ONCE....

Message 107 of 109
Latest reply

If you had taken the time to actually READ the factual replies on this (and many other more recent ) thread/s you would have gleaned the information that eBay GST is on their fees. NOT the postage.

Message 108 of 109
Latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 109 of 109
Latest reply