Ebay gift voucher

I have recenlty used a ebay gift voucher of $10. I made a purchase using the the gift voucher and the voucher was not honoured due to "techinal difficulties". Pay Pal did reimburse $10 cash into my account. However, I have just found out that my bank has charged me a $9 dishonour fee due to the purchase. I only had enough money in my account to cover the ebay purchase with the $10 gift voucher. Because the paypal account is set up directly to my bank account the bank honored the purchase and now have charged me the $9 dishonour fee.

If my gift voucher was to work as intended by paypal I would not have the problem mentioned above.

I would like paypal to reimburse me for the banks $9 dishonour fee.

I need help please.

Message 1 of 39
Latest reply
38 REPLIES 38

Re: Ebay gift voucher

Smiley Happy

The thing that is striking me is that the buyer's business can't be going too well if a $10 withdrawal sends him into the red. It was a risky transaction, right to the wire. Not really a good decision, and if they have other accounts just bulging with cash, why not use one of those instead? Or transfer a bit of money over to be on the safe side. Risky business is no one else's fault but the buyer's.

I take the point that if the voucher had been working this would not have happened, but forget all the legal stuff, tell me anyone is actually going to take this to any court over a $10 matter. I do understand though that it would be very annoying to have something like this happen to you.

I personally can't see why ebay would take on responsibility for anyone being overdrawn on their bank account though. They don't seem to take on responsibility for anything else and I have read of worse cases.

I know it is their 'fault' but I think the only way the buyer might get anywhere is to phone and make such a song and dance that someone might refund him as a one off, just to shut him up.

Why anyone would start a dispute with the seller though i do not know.

Ebay initiated the vouchers. If you want it from the horse's mouth, go directly to the horse.

Message 31 of 39
Latest reply

OP - you could have easily avoided this issue - quite apart from that fact that you are the only person for ensuring you have adequate funds in your accounts, in this case you could simply have chosen not to proceed with the payment for your item when you saw that the voucher did not work - this I know because the same thing happened to me.

I purchased an item and entered the gift voucher code in, but when I got to Paypal an error came up telling me the code was invalid.  I then chose to cancel out of the payment rather than proceed.  So you could have done the same, and either went off to investigate why the code didn't work (as I did, where I discovered a second email from Paypal explaining the glitch and when the code could successfully be used) or you could have simply transferred funds into your account.

Why you would blame the seller or anyone else is beyond me.

Message 32 of 39
Latest reply

I can't find the second email from PayPal explaining the voucher problem. From checking the discussion boards I gathered that you should wait until after the 30th, so I did. It still didn't work. I rang the PayPal 1800 (Toll Free) number gave all the details. The PayPal solution on this occassion was to say sorry, credit my account with $10, and tell me not to bother trying to use the voucher code.

I had a $10 voucher 2-3 years ago and it all went smoothly. It was a pleasant little (drama free) surprise.

Message 33 of 39
Latest reply

The second email I received was titled <My Name>, whoops let's try that again!

Message 34 of 39
Latest reply

Some members were told the voucher could be used after the 30th March, others have been told the 6th April.

Message 35 of 39
Latest reply

The OP does have one valid point,  if during checkout process, it showed the discounted amount was being charged, but in fact the full amount was. No matter what the circumstances, if you authorise a $10 debit and $20 is actually debited, then you have some comeback (I haven't used too many vouchers during eBay's checkout process, but I do not proceed unless the payment due is showing as the discounted amount). If that's what happened, and it was after payment that the voucher failed, then I don't think the OP deserves any flack for accounting for a payment and there not being enough in that account for a higher payment.

The issue I personally took was that the seller had no responsibility for the overcharge - they didn't do it, they didn't even know about it, and an Item Not Received dispute was the worst way to handle it. Despite everything else, I hope they consider other options if it ever happens again, because no matter what one's consumer rights are, you can't claim them against someone who isn't responsible for the failure etc - eg you can't sue the painter if the electrician didn't wire your home correctly. 

Message 36 of 39
Latest reply

In my case, I had to enter the code in the Ebay checkout page - when entered, the total amount payable on screen included the $10 discount, e.g. $50 instead of $60.

I then clicked on the pay now by Paypal button and was taken to the Paypal Login page.  Once logged in, I selected my payment method, and it was only when selecting 'Pay Now' that the error message appeared and the payable amount reverted to $60.  I was then able to either continue with full payment, or back out (as I did).

So for me it was clear that the discount wasn't being included before payment was actually processed.

Message 37 of 39
Latest reply

I AM totes amazeballs aready LOL!!!

That is an insanely adorable sheepie pic. Taa, that made my day Smiley Happy

Message 38 of 39
Latest reply

@elusiveeditions wrote:

I AM totes amazeballs aready LOL!!!

That is an insanely adorable sheepie pic. Taa, that made my day Smiley Happy

They are insanely adorable, although currently screaming their lungs out for a bottle!! Best get off the forums for awhile LOL!

Message 39 of 39
Latest reply