Electrical compliance when selling electrical appliances into Australia

Some friendly advice for ebay sellers to the Australian market

Are you aware that it is illegal to sell electrical appliances within Australia that are designed to be plugged into a mains power outlet unless they have an Australian compliant plug correctly fitted to the 240V cable.

Supplying an EU-UK/AUS plug adaptor for Australian consumers is not compliant. If your electrical products are sold bare wired or have an incorrect plug then your company is leaving itself wide open to statutory prosecution and potential litigation if a consumer is injured using an electrically powered product that you sell here.

Message 1 of 45
Latest reply
44 REPLIES 44

Re: Electrical compliance when selling electrical appliances into Australia

The items were bought from a Chinese seller and the listing stated the plug was an EU plug.   It was never going to be Australian Standards compliant no matter where it was posted from.

Message 41 of 45
Latest reply

I have just bought an item from a local Australian seller, a brand new item, a Photo Box, which uses LED lighting with an AC/DC adapter. I noticed that the light sometimes flickered and when placed near a radio induced interference.

I then checked the adapter. It is a 'Declared Article' and should comply with AS/NZS3820 and be marked as such. No safety marks were on the adapter.

I am in contact with the seller and they have stated that they have sold "hundreds" of this product in Australia, and it must be safe otherwise ebay would not let them sell it.

How do I report this to ebay. This item is a safety risk.

Message 42 of 45
Latest reply

Is this the item number of the Photo Box you've bought?   272825969008 if so you have purchased from a seller registered in China.....(Look at their feedback for that infomation).

Probably your best bet is to open a case with eBay's Money Back Guarantee and deal with the problem that way.

Edit to add, do not close the case with eBay until you are completely satisied with the outcome of the case.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 43 of 45
Latest reply

this counts as an australian plug right???  Smiley Mad

seriously........

Message 44 of 45
Latest reply

Seriously... if you know the answer why drag up an old thread to post a non-question?

If you didn't kno0w the answer, reading this thread without replying would have given you more than enough in formation to determine the answer.

If you buy from overseas sellers, you are unlikely to get items to Australian Standards, regardless of the plugs. If you buy from Australian sellers and don't get AS plugs, that's what Fair Trading is for.

Message 45 of 45
Latest reply