Electrical compliance when selling electrical appliances into Australia

Some friendly advice for ebay sellers to the Australian market

Are you aware that it is illegal to sell electrical appliances within Australia that are designed to be plugged into a mains power outlet unless they have an Australian compliant plug correctly fitted to the 240V cable.

Supplying an EU-UK/AUS plug adaptor for Australian consumers is not compliant. If your electrical products are sold bare wired or have an incorrect plug then your company is leaving itself wide open to statutory prosecution and potential litigation if a consumer is injured using an electrically powered product that you sell here.

Message 1 of 45
Latest reply
44 REPLIES 44

Re: Electrical compliance when selling electrical appliances into Australia

Thanks for the info beerandpizza.

Message 31 of 45
Latest reply

Here's some from NSW Fair Trading website:

Fair Trading's inspections of electrical equipment 

Suppliers of electrical equipment are responsible for the safety of the products they sell. NSW Fair Trading enforces activities aimed at removing unsafe equipment from the marketplace. As a result of shop inspections or complaints of equipment failure, sellers of unsatisfactory goods may also be instructed to suspend sales, recall previously sold goods or face prosecution.

People power can only do so much. We have the relevant rules and laws, formulated and ammended after past mistakes, hopefully to avoid repeats.

It is up to the relevant authorities to enforce these rules and find, investigate and penalise these sellers so they don't continue to flood the Aussie market with dangerous goods.

What do you think???

Message 32 of 45
Latest reply

What do I think? 

In regards to your purchase, the seller is in China and has terrible feedback.   The listing states the item includes an EU plug.   No matter what item location is in the listing you have bought an item from China and if it is not Australian Standard compliant it is too bad....buyer beware.

Message 33 of 45
Latest reply

Sorry Lyndal but it looks like you are still missing the point here.

Yes the item was made in China.

I ordered the item on 26 December.

The seller sent the item from their place of business in Sydney on 28 December.

I received the item on 29 December.

This item did not come directly from China it came from the supplier in Sydney almost overnight.

According to the laws in NSW, the seller ( That's the one in Sydney ) must ensure before they sell it that it complies with Australian Standards: ie legal power plug that is certified for sale in Australia.

So in essence here the supplier in Sydney has sold, and continues to sell,  an electrical product that does not comply with Aust Standards and is therefore breaking the law. Pretty simple really.

Message 34 of 45
Latest reply

Mark, you keep harping on about Fair Trading and responsibilities.

Tell them about it, not us.

We can't do anything, but they can, or should.

Message 35 of 45
Latest reply

Sorry, but you are missing the point...........the seller is located in China and the listing states that it has an EU plug.  That is enough to tell you that the item is not AU Standards compliant.

The seller could well be using a local logistics company to deliver in Australia....possibly even Australia Post.  It could easily arrive in a couple of days from China.

Edit..........do you have an actual street address for the sender in Australia?

Message 36 of 45
Latest reply

Hi

Yes I have notified Dept of Fair Trading and I hope they will do their job and enforce the law.

But we can always do our part by bringing these topics up so others can be forwarned rather than burying our head in the sand and saying "buyer beware, tough s$%t or it happens" and letting it go on.

Some have referred to iot as 'people power'.

Message 37 of 45
Latest reply

Hi Lyndal

The item was sent overnight from the importer, ECO, in Park Road, Regents Park.

Message 38 of 45
Latest reply

Park Road, Regents Park is an industrial complex....definitely not a retail environment.   You would not have bought from them.

Message 39 of 45
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

Park Road, Regents Park is an industrial complex....definitely not a retail environment.   You would not have bought from them.

I realise the item has probably been posted out from a warehouse, not from a retail store.

But all the same, shouldn't items imported into Australia to be sold in Australia have to comply with  safety standards? If not, then they should, in my opinion.

Message 40 of 45
Latest reply