Encourage Buyer to leave negative fb when seller refuses to sell

I am so furious - just learned that ebay has now making it super easy for a seller to cancel the order if the seller does not want to sell for whatever reason and it appeas that there are no consequences for doing so unless a buyer leave a negative feedback. I have had this happened to me a couple of times this month and this is way too frequent! 

Why did ebay change their previous policy - which requires the buyer's agreement before cancellation? 

I encourage every buyer to leave negative feedback if this happens to them. 

Message 1 of 25
Latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

The seller only needs you to agree to a cancellation if they want to get their fees refunded.

If they don't care or don't know that fact then they can cancel without your consent.

If you don't agree to the cancellation then they do not get their fees refunded but if you do nothing then the cancellation times out and they get their refund anyway.

Message 2 of 25
Latest reply

There really hasn't been any change to that part of the policy - Previously if a buyer didn't respond to a request to cancel the sale the seller could cancel it after 7 days.

These days the seller has to wait 10 days and then if the buyer hasn't responded ebay close it automatically.

Ebay have actually made it harder for sellers to cancel sales - if they choose certain reasons for cancelling a sale they are automatically given a defect by ebay which didn't happen in the past.

Message 3 of 25
Latest reply

Did you not respond to the cancellation requst ?

Message 4 of 25
Latest reply

OP, buyers very seldom need any encouragement to leave negs - even when they don't have a reason!

And from I have read on the boards over the time - sellers don't want to sell something if they don't get enough money.

And that is the same reason why buyers go totally mad with anger - as they can't get the same item that they know is way too cheap

(They'd be already rubbing their hands together thinking they have scored big time!)

It would be much more productive to both parties if a buyer was to recognise the loss on sellers part and offer much more money, and if not that -  be at least more simpathetic  and understanding.

As sellers are here to sell, when they refuse there is always a very good reason - mostly that the sale is not only worth anything - it represents a substantial loss.

And no matter what anyone thinks, especially the buyer who loses out - nobody HAS to do anything they don't want to - and no matter how hard you think Ebay should make it for them to cancell the transaction - they still can't force them to sell anything if the price is not right.

If that was the reason that your seller cancelled (just guessing here, it could have been any other reason) would you be quite happy telling the seller:

"I couldn't care less that you are loosing a bunch of money as long as I have gained  - and how dare you cancell the transaction? As I feel so deprived of my gain I will leave the negative f/back - that'll make me feel soooo much better!"

It would sound much better maybe this comment to the seller after a dissastrous sale:

"Sorry this has happened to you - I don't blame you for not wanting to sell at this price, I wouldn't have done anything different had it been the other way around"

Message 5 of 25
Latest reply

It has changed - now the seller can cancel the sale without the buyer's consent and get their fee back with no problem. I only just found out this.

Message 6 of 25
Latest reply

The OP doesn't need any encouragement to leave negs, they have already done it a few times for the same reason, including to the seller she wrote about.

The dress you 'won' sold for $5 with postage costs of $10. As a seller yourself, you would know that she would be far from breaking even, she would be LOSING money by the time she pays the fees and postage cost. Yep, in the red. My guess is you are shirty because you were going to list it for a much higher price and you've just seen your profit go straight out the window.

As someone with a pretty **bleep**py star rating yourself, I thought you would be a bit more considerate towards other sellers, especially sellers with only 6 feedback who are just learning the ropes, as you know what it's like to have your ratings trashed. One word for you. KARMA. It will come back to bite you.

I would encourage all clothing sellers to make an addition to their happy list.....

Message 7 of 25
Latest reply

Not the case anymore apparently~

Message 8 of 25
Latest reply

I find it interesting that you are a seller also & have this attitude. Put the shoe on the other foot for a minute and see if you would like someone to Neg you for the same matter.  i really don't think you would like it.

Message 9 of 25
Latest reply

well - if they dont want to let go of the item at low price, they shouldnt have started it at a low price hoping for a bidding war.

Message 10 of 25
Latest reply