Faking a Tracking number

Inquiring as to why I was unable to update a Tracking number for an eBay item, I was informed by the DHL office, that the seller created a tracking no. but did not follow up with handing in the package. The seller is insisting that the parcel may be lost but how can that be if it wasnt in the system in the first place? He is adamant that I wait out the month. Anyone had a similar experience?

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: Faking a Tracking number

what is the item number?
Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

Open INR before the month is up, do not wait as the seller is asking you to.

Sounds like a delay tactic to me, as twyn said, an item number will help check it for you.

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

You have the tracking number, and if the item is not delivered you will get your money back, but don't wait too long. I think you have 30 days after the last day of the estimated delivery to open a case with eBay, or 6 months with PayPal (from the day of purchase I think). If the item has not moved at all, I would not wait to open a case with PP, but go with eBay, as 30 days after the last day of the estimated delivery is more than enough if the item has not even been received, as DHL says. 

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

Apologies for the belated response. Had surgery for a sliced hand. In any case, the tracking No. is Tracking number 6926492296 , DHL India.

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

Have you opened a case for item not received?

That number goes back to the 4th Feb and the seller definately hasn't posted it otherwise DHL would have already said so.

Would have only taken around 4 days to receive it.

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

Yep, as of 2 minutes ago still not handed over to DHL

Open INR case now, do not close it on seller say so, and track the shipment.

If there is still no movement by the date you can escalate the claim, do so - (4 days I think) that will give the seller  ample time to action this.

Do not let the time to claim run out

Edited to say: This seller lied to you about item being sent/lost - surgery for his hand is no doubt the same BS

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

@monkeypagoda wrote:

Apologies for the belated response. Had surgery for a sliced hand. In any case, the tracking No. is Tracking number 6926492296 , DHL India.

I can't say for sure if operations in India are working the same way, but I can say that before covid, DHL Australia would update the tracking for shipments manifested within an hour or two of them being collected, and an individual tracking number would get a status update the same day (of collection).

Then covid hit and with all the changes to international postage, they changed the way they do things - I would hand over packages (in Adelaide) on say a Monday, then it would get an update up to a week later when it was processed in Sydney. 

Their pick-up costs have also gotten so high, some sellers actually find it cheaper to post their packages in bulk to DHL for processing, rather than pay the pick-up fee. 

Which I mention because if DHL are operating similarly over in India, that provides a couple of ways a seller can ship an item and never have it show in DHL's system (i.e. if it doesn't make it to their distribution centre, or something else).

This is not to sway you from seeking a resolution with the seller, I'm just saying don't take it as a given that the package never left the seller. 

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply