Fraudulent sellers

Please be aware that there are some fraudulent sellers with women's handbags for auction. I was unfortunate enough to buy 4 as I was getting them for Christmas presents. I have received an email from eBay that sellers accounts have been taken over. They have refunded me one, and one I had not paid for. In hindsight it's clear to see something suspicious. All the sellers are Asian - china. All the sellers have no other sales or ratings history. The four different sellers all sent me the same letter advising postage of the item, with EXACTLY the same wording and English. All the sellers accounts were opened in July or May. On the same days of the month. The difficulty is that you don't realise it's a scam until it passes the due delivery date. By the time you have paid and wait for your item that never arrives the scammer is long gone with your money. If you paid by PayPal it's okay, you have a guarantee of getting your money back. It was just fortunate that the seller realised her account had been hacked and reported it to eBay. 

I rang EBay and reported this scam. They said the coincidences in the emails, type of items, being new sellers, no trading history is very suspicious. They are going to investigate each seller I reported. Meanwhile, I am still concerned though that other people are bidding on these items. If you search 'women's shoulder tote bags' and select auction you will see the current suspicious items. Please ladies don't get caught like I did. I don't want anyone else to be disappointed. I tried to post screen shots but it wouldn't let me. Oh, BTW, they have also listed men's briefcases, duffle bags, lap top bags etc. who knows what else. 

Message 1 of 22
Latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Re: Fraudulent sellers

Not the autralian police the police from overseas they can deal with the issue if you can't have other options. 

Message 11 of 22
Latest reply

Good luck with that

Latest reply

Yeah I have to say I've been buying from Asia and China sellers for years and never had a problem. In the event that something goes missing or whatever I have always had prompt responses and resolutions. I guess this lulled me into a false sense of security. Thanks for the responses guys. As I said I really just wanted to put it out there in some way so others don't get duped. 

Message 13 of 22
Latest reply

I'm over this, and getting really annoyed now. eBay have removed all the paid items from my account and are now telling me to wait until after the delivery date (late Nov) and then open 7 claims for refunds! Effectively all they have done is remove the paid items from my account! Firstly I can't see the delivery dates any longer because YOU HAVE REMOVED THEM FROM MY ACCOUNT! So the sent me an email with the item numbers and delivery dates and basically I have to do everything myself. I sent them back this reply: 

Thanks for the response. I'm not happy to wait until late November to get my money back! All you have effectively done is remove the items from my eBay account and possibly close the scam seller down. You wouldn't have known it was a scam if I hadn't told you. Now you expect me to wait until Mid November, open 7 cases, then wait a couple more weeks to get my money! eBay needs to be responsible for this. You obviously make it too easy for scammers to set up on your system. Then I do all the work to have it rectified! You have the item numbers, you have removed the items because you are pretty sure they are a scam, so step up and give me my money back!

Sent from my iPad

On 10 Oct 2017, at 11:19 am, customerhelp_au@ebay.com wrote:

eBay
RE: Asking eBay to step in and help SR# 1-131920102659

Hello Sharon,

Thank you for contacting eBay about the items that you bought. I'm sorry that you haven't received the items yet.

Upon checking on your account, the listing were removed because there are chances that the seller violates eBay Policy. But do not worry, you are still be covered by eBay Money Back Guarantee Program.

What I suggest is to contact us or open a request if you cannot received the items after the estimated delivery date. I am going to furnished you the item number with the corresponding estimated delivery dates for your reference.

222661485808 -ETD, Tue, 28 Nov
322794188940 -ETD, Tue, 28 Nov
142523065190 -ETD, Tue, 28 Nov

172893057985 -ETD, Tue, 28 Nov
222660493425 -ETD Tue, 28 Nov
222657232784 -ETD Nov. 15
182791853848 -ETD Nov 28

Thank you for choosing eBay!

Kind regards,

Mirasol A.
eBay Customer Service
[THREAD ID: 1-1OLPTMO5]

Hello Sharon,

Thank you for contacting eBay about the items that you bought. I'm sorry that you haven't received the items yet.

Upon checking on your account, the listing were removed because there are chances that the seller violates eBay Policy. But do not worry, you are still be covered by eBay Money Back Guarantee Program.

What I suggest is to contact us or open a request if you cannot received the items after the estimated delivery date. I am going to furnished you the item number with the corresponding estimated delivery dates for your reference.

222661485808 -ETD, Tue, 28 Nov
322794188940 -ETD, Tue, 28 Nov
142523065190 -ETD, Tue, 28 Nov

172893057985 -ETD, Tue, 28 Nov
222660493425 -ETD Tue, 28 Nov
222657232784 -ETD Nov. 15
182791853848 -ETD Nov 28

Thank you for choosing eBay!

Kind regards,

Mirasol A.
eBay Customer Service

Sent: 10/9/2017 8:51:04 PM
To:
CC:
Subject: Asking eBay to step in and help

Enter your question / concern
Hi eBay. Please look at my account, crammondmusic. Recently I purchased several items that turn out to be from scam sellers. They have since been removed by you from my account. Your email says to wait until the delivery due date to open a claim, but now that the items have been removed I can't see the delivery due dates or anything to do with the items that appear on my purchase tab. Therefore could you please open a case for each item so I can get a refund on them? I can't open a case as I now have no info available to me about the item. Please advise. Thanks Sharon Matthews

Send a copy to my email address.
on

eBay Document ID: 48292518009
eBay is committed to your privacy. Read our user agreement and privacy notice. Learn how to recognise fake (spoof) emails.

Copyright © 2017 eBay Inc. All Rights Reserved. Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners. eBay and the eBay logo are trademarks of eBay Inc., 2145 Hamilton Avenue, San Jose, CA 95125.

Honestly, I shouldn't have to do all the work!!!! 👎🏻😡😡😡😡

Message 14 of 22
Latest reply

Chinese scammers are getting smarter. In some categories, they're copying entire valid listings, so you wouldn't know unless you'd seen the listing before! These are high-value items, and they string you along going oops, it's bounced back from customs, I'll re-send! Thankfully there is a community of hobbyists who report these as they come up on another forum for members to report, and these listings are getting taken down fairly quickly, but people still inevitably get caught. Ebay needs bots to detect when duplicate listings come from different sellers.

Message 15 of 22
Latest reply

They need to take responsibility for what is posted on their site and how apparently easy it is to take over someone's account. It's the Facebook defence. Not our problem. Just heard back from my email. They are doing refunds this week for all 7 items. But had I not kicked up a stink they would have been happy to let me do it all and spend another 6 weeks out of pocket. It wasn't rocket science to a) remove the seller, b) remove the item c) refund the money and d) fix my cart so it stops asking me o pay for the one unpaid item! Come on. Customer service people. 

Message 16 of 22
Latest reply

For future reference, if you do not receive an item within a reasonable time NEVER open an ebay dispute to get a refund.  They are too slow and cumbersome.

Go straight to a paypal dispute as they can be opened immediately and you get your refund within days.

An ebay dispute is only good for items not as described as it is easier to get a refund of the return shipping.

Also, once you have your refund the item will go back to Unpaid status in your Purchase History....just ignore it until it disappears into  archives....or you can hide it yourself if it annoys you by sitting there.

Message 17 of 22
Latest reply

Lyndal that seems like a generalisation of eBay's MBG as it's totally the opposite to what I experienced when I filed a claim for not arrived. I phoned and started the dispute after the Aussie seller told me the post office couldn't track it (and tried to offer me $50 compensation on a $170 item as that's what the post office offered him since I didn't take out insurance). There was only 2-3 days of facilitated communication between seller and I then escalated to a claim and refund a day later.

SNAD return took 20-25 days for me to see a refund so in comparison it was quick.
Message 18 of 22
Latest reply

It sounds to me like the seller refunded you in the INR case rather than wait for the ebay dispute to run it's course.  It is always quicker when a seller issues the refund voluntarily.

SNAD is always slow especially if the seller disputes it.  You have to wait for the item to be posted back to the seller before the refund is processed.

Message 19 of 22
Latest reply

No they fought it every step of the way Lyndal. Sent a $170 item without signature or insurance and when I asked them to track it they even complained about doing that then maintained it was my fault it was missing. I saw all the communication during the dispute and he carried on to the end even trying to up the ante to $75 and saying if I didn't take that it was the final offer and he would not give me anything.

I was always under the impression that the order for filing disputes was eBay then PayPal then cc chargeback. In case first and second are unsuccessful
Message 20 of 22
Latest reply