Fraudulent sellers

Please be aware that there are some fraudulent sellers with women's handbags for auction. I was unfortunate enough to buy 4 as I was getting them for Christmas presents. I have received an email from eBay that sellers accounts have been taken over. They have refunded me one, and one I had not paid for. In hindsight it's clear to see something suspicious. All the sellers are Asian - china. All the sellers have no other sales or ratings history. The four different sellers all sent me the same letter advising postage of the item, with EXACTLY the same wording and English. All the sellers accounts were opened in July or May. On the same days of the month. The difficulty is that you don't realise it's a scam until it passes the due delivery date. By the time you have paid and wait for your item that never arrives the scammer is long gone with your money. If you paid by PayPal it's okay, you have a guarantee of getting your money back. It was just fortunate that the seller realised her account had been hacked and reported it to eBay. 

I rang EBay and reported this scam. They said the coincidences in the emails, type of items, being new sellers, no trading history is very suspicious. They are going to investigate each seller I reported. Meanwhile, I am still concerned though that other people are bidding on these items. If you search 'women's shoulder tote bags' and select auction you will see the current suspicious items. Please ladies don't get caught like I did. I don't want anyone else to be disappointed. I tried to post screen shots but it wouldn't let me. Oh, BTW, they have also listed men's briefcases, duffle bags, lap top bags etc. who knows what else. 

Message 1 of 22
Latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Fraudulent sellers

Sorry to hear about you experience. I had a similar one earlier in the year but I was fortunate that I was just bidding. In this case, it was a seller from India and I could never seem to win a bid. I still had them all on my watch list so suddenly a light bulb went off in my head so did a bit more investigating and found at least 10 yes 10 sellers who had all joined ebay in July or August 2015. They were all in India and some had zero feedback and all were listing the same items at the same time. A lot of the listings were ended by the sellers as being sold or and error in the listing. Consequently I made notes, reported all to ebay and they are still selling. Anyway. to make a long story short, I gave up on purchasing the items. I do hope ebay do something about you scam report but am not confident they will actually do anything. I was cautious before and am even more cautious now about purchasing from overseas. Cheers.
Message 2 of 22
Latest reply

Fraudulent sellers

Thank you for posting! I think there should be a sticky link to show all fradulent sellers so new buyers don't get scammed! 

The difficulty is that you don't realise it's a scam until it passes the due delivery date! By the time you have paid and wait for your item that never arrives the scammer is long gone with your money! 

WOW! You know it too! This same thing happen to me too! They did the same thing to me and took off with 400USD! They said they were from Hong Kong and send return address to that place and everyone on ebay seem to be sending it there! But there were never they upon investigation! 

Becareful of buying expensive stuff from Hong Kong or china! 

If anyone has postive experience from these places please post! 

Have you tried ringing the Police? So they will shut them down for good? 

Message 3 of 22
Latest reply

Fraudulent sellers

What do you think the Australian police can do about a foreign seller?

Did you follow the correct procedures to get your money back?

Why did you think a low feedback (or any, really) Chinese seller (Hong Kong is part of China) would be selling genuine fashion items?

Message 4 of 22
Latest reply

Fraudulent sellers

I have bought items from Chinese and hing Kong sellers in the past, and they've been fine. But I could kick myself because usually I am cautious and only buy from sellers who have solid sales histories. But I was happy to find items for relatives for Christmas presents, and didn't take a lot of notice of the sellers. Just thinking this is a Christmas job off my list. eBay removed two purchased items and shut down two sellers. One fortunately I hadn't paid for and the other I have logged with PayPal for a refund under their purchase guarantee. For the paid ones that eBay has not removed I've emailed them and advised them of fake sellers and asked them to remove them so I can go thru the process of claiming with PayPal. But it's all just a pain in the butt. It wasn't a lot of money, they were pretty cheap knock offs because we limit how much to spend on each other at Christmas. So not hundreds of dollars thank goodness. But I am concerned that there are still items listed that people are bidding on unaware that they are scams. There should be scam alert list or something. Basically I've already left negative reviews on the items, saying the seller is a scammer and not to buy anything from them. But of course they'll just close up shop and open up as another seller. **bleep**s. 

Message 5 of 22
Latest reply

Fraudulent sellers

If the scam sellers have 0 or low feedback, any money paid is held for a minimum of 21 days by PayPal. They don't lift that hold until you have a proven track record. Therefore, you have a better chance of getting the money back from the seller rather than PayPal.

The other thing to consider is that the Chinese are untouchable. They can do and sell whatever they like and eBay refuse to touch them  because they bring in the bucks. That said, the Chinese sellers I buy from are awesome. They're not all dodgy. I love my Chinese sellers, but I am very careful what I buy. The things I buy can't be faked.

Message 6 of 22
Latest reply

Fraudulent sellers

I've never had a problem with a Chinese seller either.

Apparently, you just have to pick the right ones.

I don't buy cheap knock-offs, so there's one way to pick the right ones.

Message 7 of 22
Latest reply

Fraudulent sellers

Of all the Chinese I've bought from, in the rare event of an issue, they bend over backwards to rectify it. In the last month I had 2 items arrive broken, which is extremely rare. I think the refund arrived before I even hit send on the message! I don't think I've ever given one less than 5 stars. The good ones are genuinely upset when something goes wrong and they want to do whatever to fix it so you'll come back and buy more. In all my years buying, I can honestly say I have never had an issue with a Chinese seller. Then again, I don't buy knock offs or cheap electronics. 

The large sized $1 shower caps I buy, the seller has atrocious feedback. I can't complain. My order has always arrived and I got what I paid for. I think in a lot of instances, people pay a few bucks and expect the same quality as you'd get with a few hundred bucks. Then they slam the seller when they get what they pay for. I've lost track of the amount of negs I've seen for Chinese sellers saying their 50c item is really poor quality. Really? I get 4-6 months out of my $1 shower caps. I'm stoked with that! I was getting that out of the $10 ones from the chemist!

Message 8 of 22
Latest reply

Fraudulent sellers

OMG... I've got the best chinese seller toooooooo.....

............his chicken chow mein is to die for !  Man LOL

hmmm... think I'm off topic here....  just a tad.

G2G.... I've suddenly got hungry....

Man Wink  Man Wink  Man Wink

********* *********** *********** ************ ************ *********** ***********
Be Kind To Nurses....
They Stop The Doctors From Killing You.
Message 9 of 22
Latest reply

Fraudulent sellers

Sei Sun, to die for! The take away a few doors down does awesome home made curry puffs and spring rolls. Chopsticks is yum too. Then there's the dumplings across the road. Makes my spag on toast look reaaaaaly sad. Boo hoo.

Message 10 of 22
Latest reply