GST charged unlawfully?

jam-32
Community Member

I recently made some purchases and was sent an invoice by the seller. But when I went to pay at checkout eBay was requesting payment of extra GST-payable on low value imports.

When I clicked the learn more link at checkout, it took me to the 'Paying tax on eBay purchases' help article. It clearly says on eBay's own article that GST is charged for items located overseas: 'If the item's located in Australia, the listing price is GST-inclusive...

eBay is required to collect GST on orders up to AU $1,000 imported into Australia. If you're buying an item located outside Australia and you select an Australian delivery address, eBay will add GST to the total at checkout.'

The item and the seller is located in Australia and sent to an Australian address, so is the extra GST being charged lawfully?

It doesn't just seem to be me that's affected. There's a recent eBay community post by a seller titled 'GST suddenly put on buyers invoice, in Australia'. If eBay is automatically and unlawfully charging GST for all purchases when buyers receive an invoice, many others could be affected.

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

GST charged unlawfully?

without naming the seller, what is the item number for one of the items?

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

GST charged unlawfully?

Yes, they have admitted there is a glitch (4 of my buyers have had it so far). However, they have assured that these buyers will be refunded.

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

GST charged unlawfully?

I just spoke to IT concerning the problem of ebay putting GST surcharge on my invoice he said it shouldn't be happening, I live in Australia and the buyer lives in Australia

Everyone needs to go into Seller Dashboard and check out your Tax Invoice section

you will find that you are being charged GST without you knowing it

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

GST charged unlawfully?

The only things that appear on my ebay  Tax Invoices,  are my ebay fees, which correctly attract GST,

And the  GST component is shown correctly.

No Surprises there.

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

GST charged unlawfully?

Having same issue, and to make things worse, one buyer advised that item was located in Switzerland, another tried to pay invoice and it came up as US based and invoice was in USD

Total debacle.

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

GST charged unlawfully?

Hi everyone,

This thread has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply