GST on all imports July 2018

Yes kicks in  this July  already talking an extra added  $5 security fee !

Message 1 of 346
Latest reply
345 REPLIES 345

Re: GST on all imports July 2018

@v8goody wrote:
Why would the postal service lose money? They don’t deliver for free. Don’t think only because it says “free postage” it is free. I also don’t think the extra tax collected get past into the postal services.
Also, all of the low cost items are made outside Australia anyway. I’m just saving the 100% profit for the guy who import the stuff.

I suggest you read up on the Universal Postal Union.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Postal_Union

Under that agreement Australia Post, as our national postage service, has an obligation to deliver overseas mail that arrives on our shores.  They do not receive any money from China Post for delivering items from China.  There is supposed to be meetings where imbalances are rectified (terminal dues), but there are reports that it costs Aust Post money under the agreement . . . . which I might just add was struck in 1874.

I'm not saying that any GST collected goes to Aust Post, but as it is wholly government owned their losses are Aust government losses . . . . . therefore, as I posted earlier, GST collected on low-cost online imports might just offset those postal costs a little on the government ledger.

I also do not believe that free postage items from China don't cost anything to post.  The Chinese government heavily subsidises international postage items out of China knowing that once they arrive in the destination country they will be delivered.  A seller in China can list items with free postage and only pay a few cents to China Post for postage.

Message 171 of 346
Latest reply

@v8goody wrote:
Why would the postal service lose money? They don’t deliver for free. Don’t think only because it says “free postage” it is free. I also don’t think the extra tax collected get past into the postal services.
Also, all of the low cost items are made outside Australia anyway. I’m just saving the 100% profit for the guy who import the stuff.

I suggest you read up on the Universal Postal Union.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Postal_Union

Under that agreement Australia Post, as our national postage service, has an obligation to deliver overseas mail that arrives on our shores.  They do not receive any money from China Post for delivering items from China.  There is supposed to be meetings where imbalances are rectified (terminal dues), but there are reports that it costs Aust Post money under the agreement . . . . which I might just add was struck in 1874.

I'm not saying that any GST collected goes to Aust Post, but as it is wholly government owned their losses are Aust government losses . . . . . therefore, as I posted earlier, GST collected on low-cost online imports might just offset those postal costs a little on the government ledger.

I also do not believe that free postage items from China don't cost anything to post.  The Chinese government heavily subsidises international postage items out of China knowing that once they arrive in the destination country they will be delivered.  A seller in China can list items with free postage and only pay a few cents to China Post for postage.

Spoiler
July
Message 172 of 346
Latest reply

v8goody
Community Member
Well, at the end i guess it’s up to the buyer to choose which way they go and you can’t have it fair for everyone.
Message 173 of 346
Latest reply

Message 174 of 346
Latest reply

Just bought a diecast model from USA yesterday got slugged 10% GST on top.
Message 175 of 346
Latest reply

GST has been applied to low value overseas items since 1st July.

Why are you surprised that it has been applied this far into the month?

Message 176 of 346
Latest reply

Why am I being charged gst on second hand items? I have no problem paying gst on the postage given that is the service.
Message 177 of 346
Latest reply

Hmm been on the phone to ato and you're right. No differentiation between new or second hand. Pay GST on the lot. What bs.
Message 179 of 346
Latest reply

v8goody
Community Member
Looks like another way to cream money of the people who try to safe some money. I wanted to buy a second hand book from the UK and would have to pay the 10% as well which would have been 6,50£. Guess I have to hold onto my money then...
Message 180 of 346
Latest reply