GST on all imports July 2018

Yes kicks in  this July  already talking an extra added  $5 security fee !

Message 1 of 346
Latest reply
345 REPLIES 345

@rapadaan wrote:

I have just bought an item from a Chinese supplier and they have charged me approx $23Aud GST on the purchase.

How does the Australian Government collect these funds when I have paid the seller direct, via PayPal?

Message 161 of 346
Latest reply

The Chinese seller has not collected the GST from you, ebay has....at the checkout.

Ebay remits the GST to the ATO

Message 162 of 346
Latest reply

@mojo8188 wrote:

@rapadaan wrote:

I have just bought an item from a Chinese supplier and they have charged me approx $23Aud GST on the purchase.

How does the Australian Government collect these funds when I have paid the seller direct, via PayPal?

was the purchase on eBay?

The reason I ask is you wrote "a chinese supplier" . . . . . and most of us would say "a chinese seller" if discussing eBay.

Message 163 of 346
Latest reply

v8goody
Community Member

This is just another tax rip-off which makes me wonder how long we let them get away with it. Maybe it's time to grab the pitch forks...

Message 164 of 346
Latest reply

@v8goody wrote:

This is just another tax rip-off which makes me wonder how long we let them get away with it. Maybe it's time to grab the pitch forks...

well, it has been introduced by the Turnbull coalition

goverment, but don't hold your breath waiting for a change of government to ditch the GST on low-cost imports.  Won't happen.

Message 165 of 346
Latest reply

v8goody
Community Member
Of course not. That’s more money in the pocket of the government without any work. The folk is just bleeding out. It is ridiculous that in this time and age, a government puts a tax on low cost items bought online. Just imagine how much money the postal services make on the transport of online sales. This governmental robbery has to stop.
Message 166 of 346
Latest reply

@v8goody wrote:
Of course not. That’s more money in the pocket of the government without any work. The folk is just bleeding out. It is ridiculous that in this time and age, a government puts a tax on low cost items bought online. Just imagine how much money the postal services make on the transport of online sales. This governmental robbery has to stop.

actually, you should think about how much money our national postal service is losing on the delivery of low-cost online sales imports!

Think about it for a moment . . . . . those $1 widgets from China with free delivery . . . . . get delivered to your door by Aust Post.

If the GST on low-cost items helps to claw back some of that expense then it can't be all bad.

There is a surefire way to avoid paying the GST on low-cost items from overseas . . . . . . BUY FROM AUSSIE SELLERS!!!!!!!!!!!

Message 167 of 346
Latest reply

v8goody
Community Member
Why would the postal service lose money? They don’t deliver for free. Don’t think only because it says “free postage” it is free. I also don’t think the extra tax collected get past into the postal services.
Also, all of the low cost items are made outside Australia anyway. I’m just saving the 100% profit for the guy who import the stuff.
Message 168 of 346
Latest reply

Nobody has paid Australia Post to deliver those low value items from outside Australia.

Message 169 of 346
Latest reply

v8goody
Community Member
I don’t believe they do it for free. That’s not how business works.
Message 170 of 346
Latest reply