GST on all imports July 2018

Yes kicks in  this July  already talking an extra added  $5 security fee !

Message 1 of 346
Latest reply
345 REPLIES 345

Re: GST on all imports July 2018

@klappers2 wrote:
I can't buy my photography gear here. It is old and "out dated".

But what about an individual that sells something online through ebay and is willing to ship worldwide. This person is not a business. Why am I now paying gst? It is no different to jumping on the local and purchasing something here

here is stawka's post from earlier in this:

@imastawka wrote:

Legislation was passed in January 2018 for the GST to apply from July 2018

In summary, the reforms:

• make supplies of goods valued at A$1,000 or less at the time of supply connected with Australia if the goods are purchased by consumers and are brought into Australia with the assistance of the supplier
  • treat the operator of an electronic distribution platform (EDP) as the supplier of low value goods if the goods are purchased through the platform by consumers and brought into Australia with the assistance of either the supplier or the operator
  • treat re-deliverers as the suppliers of low value goods if the goods are delivered outside of Australia as part of the supply, and the re-deliverer assists with their delivery into Australia as part of a shopping or mailbox service that it provides under an arrangement with the consumer
  • allow non-resident suppliers of low value goods that are connected with Australia to elect to access the simplified registration and reporting system
  • prevent double taxation.

https://www.ato.gov.au/General/New-legislation/In-detail/Indirect-taxes/GST/GST-on-low-value-importe...

@klapper

Please take the time to read all the replies.

Message 191 of 346
Latest reply

Oh I've read that page many times. I understand what the legislation is saying. I just hate how it has turned out. The ATO has turned ebay into an ATO branch lol.
Message 192 of 346
Latest reply

v8goody
Community Member
The money for roads comes from car regios, schools from school fees and every working man and woman paying income tax.
Back to the book, which I regret that I ever mentioned it, is second hand and cost 60 bucks. Put the 10% on top now it cost 66AUD. I’m not upset about tax if it would help the economy. You really think that a single cent would go into hospitals and roads when the government blows 83 million for a new footbridge to a Stadium?
Message 193 of 346
Latest reply

@klappers2 wrote:
Oh I've read that page many times. I understand what the legislation is saying. I just hate how it has turned out. The ATO has turned ebay into an ATO branch lol.

I must have mis-read your previous post where you stated that your seller is not a business . . . . . and you asked why you were being charged GST !

Maybe you were being sarcastic or rhetorical . . . . I understand sarcasm but rarely do rhetorical.

If I had replied to your last post with "JULY" you might now been as perplexed as I am now . . . . . but others might understand!

Message 194 of 346
Latest reply

Car rego in no way covers the cost of roads, ditto school fees. Just like medicare levy doesn't even scratch the surface of health costs.

A footbridge is almost sure to be a State Government investment, so that is down to the way they spend their disbursements, including from the Commonwealth. Economics, whilst boring to the challenged, is a many-faceted discipline.

Sales tax was effectively replaced by the GST, but that didn't capture the boom in low-value online imports. Which has now been rectified.

YOU said the book was 6.5 quid with GST. I am fairly sure the $A is worth a bit more than 10p, so your initial quote seems to be in error.

Message 195 of 346
Latest reply

@klappers2 wrote:
I can't buy my photography gear here. It is old and "out dated".

what photography gear are you looking for? I have a fair bit of photography gear at home.  I might be able to put together a listing for gear you need

Message 196 of 346
Latest reply

As I understood it there is no GST on old or used secnd hand items. I buy collectibles (toy cars) off sellers who are individuals not companies and are selling their old toys they had probably as a kid. No trading above 75G so where do I stand.

I understand from a friend with a recent purchase that Ebay added GST and it applied to both the item and the postage paid to get it here. From what I can see this is one big ripoff and if the case, as a small infrequent buyer , how do I get the GST back.

Message 197 of 346
Latest reply

@matchboxmick wrote:

As I understood it there is no GST on old or used secnd hand items. I buy collectibles (toy cars) off sellers who are individuals not companies and are selling their old toys they had probably as a kid. No trading above 75G so where do I stand.

I understand from a friend with a recent purchase that Ebay added GST and it applied to both the item and the postage paid to get it here. From what I can see this is one big ripoff and if the case, as a small infrequent buyer , how do I get the GST back.

your purchases from Aussie sellers of items located in Australia attract no GST . . . . . ALL purchases of eBay items from overseas sellers, regardless of whether they are a business or their turnover, will attract GST on item and shipping cost.

Furthermore, there have been reports of items from USA and UK that use Pitney Bowes/GSP will also attract an import charge if eBay defer to PB for GST collection.

Message 198 of 346
Latest reply

I wonder how legal a GST is on eBay Items. After all, the ATO expects someone else to collect the GST for them, and they are not providing any goods or services for the money they are collecting.

So can someone explain how the government can add a Goods and Services tax, when they do not provide any goods or services for that money, and even expect someone else to collect the money for them.

It just doesn't sound right to me. What will be taxed next? Air?

Message 199 of 346
Latest reply

I think you will find that goods sold from Australia already have the GST compenent added into the price, so you still pay a GST, just not an added seperate GST...YET!

Message 200 of 346
Latest reply