GST on all imports July 2018

Yes kicks in  this July  already talking an extra added  $5 security fee !

Message 1 of 346
Latest reply
345 REPLIES 345

there was a plan last year to introduce GST on all incoming goods from 1st July 2017, but that was put off until 1st July 2018 as there was no way it could be introduced by July 2017.

I haven’t read anything that would indicate that the GST will be taken on all goods from 1st July this year.  There are still many hurdles, like who will collect the GST and how will it be collected.

The $2 to $7 security fee for incoming parcels is still in discussion phase (as far as I am aware).

@rapadaanwrote:

Yes kicks in  this July  already talking an extra added  $5 security fee !

Did you mean “talking” or “taking”?

Message 2 of 346
Latest reply

It won't be applied to vintage imported goods I guess?

Message 3 of 346
Latest reply

I think it's going ahead, but there's no real info I can find on what happens with goods under $1000 that haven't had GST charged by the vendor, and how they will determine if it should have been. 

This is one of the most recent articles I could find:

http://www.clarkeglobal.com.au/news/news-in-changes-to-gst-on-low-value-imports-to-australia/

This bit is interesting: "Businesses with an ABN will be able to quote an exemption code at the time of purchase and GST will either become payable at the time of delivery or simply transferred to a GST Deferred Account."

I'm not registered to collect GST at the moment, so I don't know if a "GST deferred account" is something only available to sellers who are, but if not it sounds like business sellers who import might be able to take the vendor out of the equation and pay the gov. directly, since they're not talking about credits or anything. 

Otherwise, there also seems to be a lot of "if x then y" involved in it, that they're simply leaving to vendors to figure out, since certain goods (eg tobacco) and those valued over $1000 will be handled the same as they always have been. They say if a double charge occurs (GST paid to the seller, and also charged by customs), you have to seek a refund from the vendor.... which sounds like it could be fun. /s

Message 4 of 346
Latest reply

@papermoon.ladywrote:

It won't be applied to vintage imported goods I guess?

It technically applies to everything purchased from a seller who has an Australian turnover of $75k+ per year.

They are considering eBay, and other sites like it, to be the vendor for the purposes of this tax, so everything you buy on eBay under $1k from an OS seller will have 10% added to it sooner or later. 

Message 5 of 346
Latest reply

How exciting - GST + GSP! Smiley Sad

Message 6 of 346
Latest reply

@papermoon.ladywrote:

How exciting - GST + GSP! Smiley Sad

+ security processing fee, which - for rhyming purposes - can be shortened to SP fee.

i.e. : 

GST + GSP + SP Fee = No money left for me

Worst rap ever. Smiley Surprised Smiley Sad Smiley LOL

Message 7 of 346
Latest reply

It's good for some of us though. I already have heaps of stock I bought from overseas and my items will look even more attractive when the price of the overseas stock goes up by 10%. I'll never need to buy more selling stock from overseas, and I think I'm pretty well stocked up for personal use too.
Message 8 of 346
Latest reply

According to this article, eBay threated to block Aussies from buying OS rather than collecting GST: https://www.crn.com.au/news/plan-to-impose-gst-on-ebay-amazon-imports-passes-senate-465589

Message 9 of 346
Latest reply

Legislation was passed in January 2018 for the GST to apply from July 2018

In summary, the reforms:

• make supplies of goods valued at A$1,000 or less at the time of supply connected with Australia if the goods are purchased by consumers and are brought into Australia with the assistance of the supplier
  • treat the operator of an electronic distribution platform (EDP) as the supplier of low value goods if the goods are purchased through the platform by consumers and brought into Australia with the assistance of either the supplier or the operator
  • treat re-deliverers as the suppliers of low value goods if the goods are delivered outside of Australia as part of the supply, and the re-deliverer assists with their delivery into Australia as part of a shopping or mailbox service that it provides under an arrangement with the consumer
  • allow non-resident suppliers of low value goods that are connected with Australia to elect to access the simplified registration and reporting system
  • prevent double taxation.

https://www.ato.gov.au/General/New-legislation/In-detail/Indirect-taxes/GST/GST-on-low-value-importe...

Message 10 of 346
Latest reply