GST on all imports July 2018

Yes kicks in  this July  already talking an extra added  $5 security fee !

Message 1 of 346
Latest reply
345 REPLIES 345

At this stage I think it would be better for me to buy from small sellers overseas who have a small turnover so I don't have to pay GST.

Message 11 of 346
Latest reply

reat the operator of an electronic distribution platform (EDP) as the supplier of low value goods if the goods are purchased through the platform by consumers and brought into Australia with the assistance of either the supplier or the operator

Message 12 of 346
Latest reply

Yes, I know, digital*ghost said this morning:

It technically applies to everything purchased from a seller who has an Australian turnover of $75k+ per year.

They are considering eBay, and other sites like it, to be the vendor for the purposes of this tax, so everything you buy on eBay under $1k from an OS seller will have 10% added to it sooner or later. 

I actually meant "away from eBay". 😞 There are plenty of small shops particularly in the UK with lovely vintage items...

Message 13 of 346
Latest reply

edit: 

Mariq, you still have to pay GST - no matter who you buy from.

Message 14 of 346
Latest reply

Apparently not if the seller has an Australian turnover under $75k+ per year according to what digital*ghost said... For many of these sellers selling vintage items is just a hobby and I don't think they make much money,,,

Message 15 of 346
Latest reply

But that's not you, is it?

You, personally will have to pay GST for every parcel that comes in.

Unless you can devise an invisible one?

Message 16 of 346
Latest reply

Strictly speaking even now many sellers write "gift", but I never asked them to do it of course and it was not necessary anyway until now.

Message 17 of 346
Latest reply

There are harsh penalties for incorrect info on Customs forms.

Just sayin'

I have never done it, and I've never received a parcel that said it.

Message 18 of 346
Latest reply

Really? I have no idea why some sellers did it with my parcels. I thought it happened to others too.

Message 19 of 346
Latest reply

It's because some countries have a low import tax threshold.

Sellers are unsure/can't be bothered  what that threshold is, so they undervalue or say gift.

Message 20 of 346
Latest reply