GST on all imports July 2018

Yes kicks in  this July  already talking an extra added  $5 security fee !

Message 1 of 346
Latest reply
345 REPLIES 345

Re: GST on all imports July 2018

@the_epoch wrote:

@lyndal1838 wrote:

The situation is appalling.  Not really, once you understand what the charges are for.

I would also say the situation is pretty appalling.  As an example I purchased an item last night on eBay from a UK seller that there own online presence too.
 - I was logged into ebay.com.au.
 - I had my shipping address set to my home,

- The listing did not show any GST component..

- The listing did not even display possible import charges and GST.
I committed to buy the item at the price I thought it was. Only after committing to buy, was an additional 10% added to the invoice, and only when it came time to confirm my payment details.

This is illegal.

The ATO clearly states:

As soon are you are aware Australian GST is likely to apply to the sale of goods, Australian consumer law requires that you display a GST-inclusive price.

If you are unsure whether Australian GST will apply, you can display a message about the potential for additional taxes to apply. As soon as it is clear that GST applies, you must show the GST-inclusive price.

It was pretty obvious to eBay that I was shipping to Australia and that GST is likely to apply. Therefore the consumer would expect the pricing to be GST inclusive.

Further, because the item was being sold from the UK, VAT that the seller or ebay.co.uk collects also isn't removed.

The listing did not show any GST component..

If you are unsure whether Australian GST will apply, you can display a message about the potential for additional taxes to apply

if you looked at the Postage tab on the listing you would see the message “Goods and Services Tax (GST) may apply” hidden away 

19FAEE09-790E-4C2C-B583-51A8CFDED4D5.jpeg

Message 271 of 346
Latest reply

v8goody
Community Member
I may be pregnant...
Message 272 of 346
Latest reply

@v8goody wrote:
I may be pregnant...

I'm not responsible for that.....

Message 273 of 346
Latest reply

@v8goody wrote:
I may be pregnant...

Well they do say that "baby brain" actually starts before the birth so that may explain some of your previous posts.

Message 274 of 346
Latest reply

v8goody
Community Member
Touché
Message 275 of 346
Latest reply

I am annoyed. I see a guitar in USA costing AU$440 & shipping GSP AU$144 & there is an attached AU$70 (to be calculated at checkout) IMPORT DUTY.
Other guitars from USA costing thousands don't attract IMPORT DUTY.
It may be a GSP administation fee cloaked as a B/S IMPORT DUTY. They already list freight as AU$144. Surely they should just list freight at AU$214 & be done with it instead of **bleep**ping on about a non existent IMPORT DUTY. GSP are SCAMMERS.
Message 276 of 346
Latest reply

Are the other guitars being shipped via the GSP or are the sellers using USPS or International courier services?

If they are using the GSP they GST will show on the listing but if they are using other services the GST will be added to the total invoice by ebay.   It will be just 10% of the total of item plus postage/shipping.

The Import Charges mentioned in the GSP listing is actually GST plus a collection fee plus the GST on the fee.   The actual GSP shipping cost already has Pitney Bowes fee for providing the service included.

Message 277 of 346
Latest reply

If you didn't buy it you probably dodged a bullet - there have been reports on the boards that Pitney Bowes (GSP) confiscates, among other things, guitars. You would then have had a huge fight to get your money back.......................

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 278 of 346
Latest reply

If a guitar costs thousands, there absolutely will be import duty, it just won't be charged at the point of sale if the seller isn't using the GSP, it will be charged at the border instead.

Import duties aren't a postage cost.
Message 279 of 346
Latest reply

Message 280 of 346
Latest reply