GST on >1000 items 'local' but shipped from overseas

On >1000 items eBay does not collect GST.

I've seen many items listed as located in Australia. In the item fine point it will say things like it may be shipped from hk warehouse directly if out of stock here. Or sometimes more directly things to USA shipped from here UK shipped from there, Australia shipped from China.

I've tried to get clarity from the sellers and ebay, everyone has tried to be vague. Is it but true if Sent from overseas I would get a customs note asking for GST before they will deliver it? Where if it came from within Australia I would not?
Message 1 of 19
Latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Re: GST on >1000 items 'local' but shipped from overseas

xdy289
Community Member

I recently purchased an item that was listed as being in Australia with a total value of over $1,000.  I figured since it's listed in Australia, it should be GST inclusive as per the following eBay page:

https://www.ebay.com.au/help/buying/paying-items/paying-tax-ebay-purchases?id=4771

"If the item's located in Australia, the listing price is GST-inclusive, where applicable. Sellers may not add GST to the final sale price after an item has sold. If you need a tax invoice showing the GST component for an item you bought, please contact the seller."

When I got the tracking details, I noticed that the item was being sent from overseas.  I now fear that I will be charged GST by customs when it gets to the border.  If this does happen, do I have any avenues to get the seller to pay the GST and any associated import duties?

Message 11 of 19
Latest reply

@xdy289 wrote:

I recently purchased an item that was listed as being in Australia with a total value of over $1,000.  I figured since it's listed in Australia, it should be GST inclusive as per the following eBay page:

When I got the tracking details, I noticed that the item was being sent from overseas.  I now fear that I will be charged GST by customs when it gets to the border.  If this does happen, do I have any avenues to get the seller to pay the GST and any associated import duties?

What is the item number ?

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 12 of 19
Latest reply

@padi*0409 wrote:

@xdy289 wrote:

What is the item number ?

Message 13 of 19
Latest reply

That item comes up as priced at $734.88

Did you read their negatives?

i would have hit the back button after reading them.

Some state that the item indeed comes from Hong Kong, while other state that the phone is refurbished and not new.

Also a lot of trouble from the seller doing anything.

Always buy a phone from a reputable licensed seller in Australia.

Preferably from an actual shop.

That way you get what you paid for and get an enforceable warranty

Message 14 of 19
Latest reply

Beat me to it Stawks, why do people not read feedback? A terrible percentage, and a Hong Kong seller selling dodgy phones.

What could possibly go wrong? I suspect the member bought a couple of them as well...................... 

One positive is that they probably won't have to pay duty on the item.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 15 of 19
Latest reply

That would be the only positive from my perspective.

Let's hope the OP gets what they paid for, with no problems.

Message 16 of 19
Latest reply

Yeah, I did buy a couple of them.  Before purchasing, I did ask about them in a few forums and there were some positive feedbacks.  I was hoping that it was only a small minority who complained about them.  I guess I should have spent more time reading feedbacks on eBay.  I was trying to get the transaction completed before the end of the Shopback eBay 12% cashback promotion window.

Message 17 of 19
Latest reply

The parcel has now arrived in Australia and apparently released by customs.  Lets hope I don't get an invoice from the shipping company for the GST and associated import duies.

Message 18 of 19
Latest reply

Their % as a seller is sitting at 96.2%

There's the first alarm bell.

Check the negs by clicking on the number for negatives for the last 12 months.

That way you only see the negative comments, and don't have to wade through 

a sea of green/grey/red dots.

Message 19 of 19
Latest reply