Global shipping program - I won't buy froms ellers using it

I won't buy from any sellers using the Global shipping program.

It is an unreasonable fee; especially when import fees do not apply in countries like Australia..

Also, shipping direct is quicker and more reliable.

I've heard the horror stories with it and Sellers from the US in particular should understand that they stand to loose quite a few sales due to  being signed up to this unreasonable program.

Ah well, they may or may not care.

Stay safe everyone.

Message 1 of 31
Latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

Re: Global shipping program - I won't buy froms ellers using it

Like anything, pick the correct tool—or shipping service—for the job. My one and only GSP purchase was from the USA, for a large, relatively heavy item, and GSP's rates were by far the cheapest when I compared them to the other major carriers operating between USA and AUS.
Those complaining about GSP rates on here tend to be wanting smaller, lighter items, which GSP definitely isn't suited to, but then, when has a single option in any service domain been the best/fastest/cheapest at everything?
It doesn't make sense to me that people come on here and *complain* that they have the option to use GSP. Most don't seem to understand it's purpose; those that do declare it is useless because it doesn't suit the particular purchase that they want to make—it's simply short sighted.
I've heard horror stories about direct shipping too; as with any bad experience, you are much more likely to hear about it. Those who use GSP or a direct method—and experience no issues—will have no reason to come on here and report their problem free experience.

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 11 of 31
Latest reply

i totally agree 100%, the US shipping costs are so over the top it's crazy. eg. 65us$ to ship a coin from california to sydney PPPFFFTTT!!!!, what they have vertually done is cut Australian (or maybe other coutries i don't know ) out of the US ebay  market  due to inflated shipping costs  . it's been going on for the last 5 years . sellers profiting on shipping and ebays global shipping ripoff. personally i usually  contact the sellers before i  buy or bid and the majority of times i'm told lot lower shipping rate thats listed on ebay.

Message 12 of 31
Latest reply

@creekman51 wrote:

it's been going on for the last 5 years . sellers profiting on shipping and ebays global shipping ripoff. 

How on earth are sellers profiting from using the GSP, they certainly do not get a "kick-back" from Pitney Bowes for using their shipping service ?

The main benefit for UK and US sellers is that once the item has been delivered to the GSP hub they are covered for delivery to the buyer.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 13 of 31
Latest reply

because not all sellers are using ebay's shipping and profiteering off usps ..brains!
Message 14 of 31
Latest reply

So you haven't actually read any of the facts presented in this, and myriad other, threads on this subject?

Pfft, indeed.

It it up to you to apply at least a modicum of due diligence. If you expect eBay to hold your hand, look for puncture wounds afterwards.

Message 15 of 31
Latest reply

@creekman51 wrote:
because not all sellers are using ebay's shipping and profiteering off usps ..brains!

If it goes through the GSP it goes through the GSP. The shipping costs ex-USA (and UK) don't go to the seller. All they get is the shipping cost to the GSP hub.

Brains, indeed.

Message 16 of 31
Latest reply

so true!
Message 17 of 31
Latest reply

@tazzieterror wrote:
Like anything, pick the correct tool—or shipping service—for the job. My one and only GSP purchase was from the USA, for a large, relatively heavy item, and GSP's rates were by far the cheapest when I compared them to the other major carriers operating between USA and AUS.
Those complaining about GSP rates on here tend to be wanting smaller, lighter items, which GSP definitely isn't suited to, but then, when has a single option in any service domain been the best/fastest/cheapest at everything?
It doesn't make sense to me that people come on here and *complain* that they have the option to use GSP. Most don't seem to understand it's purpose; those that do declare it is useless because it doesn't suit the particular purchase that they want to make—it's simply short sighted.
I've heard horror stories about direct shipping too; as with any bad experience, you are much more likely to hear about it. Those who use GSP or a direct method—and experience no issues—will have no reason to come on here and report their problem free experience.

Like you, my first GSP item was large and bulky. A microscope. All up it was around 15kg, maybe more. Postage was $69. For it to come via USPS, was going to be around $ 140. I think it arrived in 8 calendar days. That was about 8 years ago.

Message 18 of 31
Latest reply

I've asked two sellers from the USA if they would consider shipping direct; both said they are unable to not use E Bay Global shipping.

I found a US seller, selling the same product and they ship direct. Good thing that I searched for a US seller not using Global shipping. The seller had a better feedback percentage and the product was slightly cheaper; Direct shipping cheaper as well.

MY solution if you can find a seller selling the same product without Global shipping, it would be worth the search.

Good luck everyone 🙂

Message 19 of 31
Latest reply

If you are happy terrific! But what about the import and duty chargess.... These do not apply to australia, yet we are still charged?

Anyway if you are happy to use Ebay Global shipping then go for it.

I prefer not to.

Cheers

Message 20 of 31
Latest reply