Global shipping program - I won't buy froms ellers using it

I won't buy from any sellers using the Global shipping program.

It is an unreasonable fee; especially when import fees do not apply in countries like Australia..

Also, shipping direct is quicker and more reliable.

I've heard the horror stories with it and Sellers from the US in particular should understand that they stand to loose quite a few sales due to  being signed up to this unreasonable program.

Ah well, they may or may not care.

Stay safe everyone.

Message 1 of 31
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

we should all not buy from those sellers

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 31
Latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

we should all not buy from those sellers

Message 2 of 31
Latest reply

From the sellers point of view (this program is available and used by sellers in the UK as well as the US). the GSP gives them protections for selling overseas. This is a big deal and if the program was available in Australia then sellers here would use it for the same reason.

Another thing you don't seem to realise is that sellers usually don't even realise that they are signed up to the program, they are automatically signed up when they make an account and have to deliberately opt out if they don't want to use it. If you buy something from a US seller they are just asket to post to the GSP warehouse in the US, where it is sent on to you, so they don't often know their buyer is in another country.

If you want something from the US or UK and the seller is using GSP you can ask them to post by anotehr method, and some will. You have that ooption.

Latest reply

if you ask politely the seller may post using USPS for you.

As previously advised this is an option that many sellers don't realise that they are in, just been automatically opted into by eBay. 

So the seller has to opt out of, so just ask nicely and many will comply to help and get the sale. 

Some won't of course, and some get a bit of a shock when you tell them what is going on.

Personally we don't buy from anyone using it, unless really really want the item, and then just ask.

Message 4 of 31
Latest reply

________________________________________________________

@maranock wrote:

From the sellers point of view (this program is available and used by sellers in the UK as well as the US). the GSP gives them protections for selling overseas. This is a big deal and if the program was available in Australia then sellers here would use it for the same reason.

I wouldn't say that it's "a big deal". Not at all! Some sellers use it and are happy with it for the protection. But that's only some! Some realise that their auctions have automatically gone to it and some are "Yeah whatever". And many sellers don't realise that their auctions have gone to GSP.

@maranock wrote:

Another thing you don't seem to realise is that sellers usually don't even realise that they are signed up to the program, they are automatically signed up when they make an account and have to deliberately opt out if they don't want to use it. If you buy something from a US seller they are just asket to post to the GSP warehouse in the US, where it is sent on to you, so they don't often know their buyer is in another country.

If you want something from the US or UK and the seller is using GSP you can ask them to post by another method, and some will. You have that ooption.

Yes, true what you say .... "sellers usually don't even realise that they are signed up to the program".

The majority of sellers who I have asked to change to normal USPS have been all too happy to do that for me. Same with the UK. Maybe one in twenty will say no.

Message 5 of 31
Latest reply

quite  often it is not a big deal to sellers..they change the shipping  usually if you ask

Message 6 of 31
Latest reply

@dvd.horder wrote:

quite  often it is not a big deal to sellers..they change the shipping  usually if you ask

Exactly! As I've said elsewhere dvd.h, I have a high success rate in getting sellers to change. Just ask nice and they oblige mostly. Just a couple haven't and one was a lady who believed that "We shouldn't manipulate the system for our advantage":.

Message 7 of 31
Latest reply

Community Member

Just going through a lengthy process of finding what has happened to my purchase from the US. Seems the parcel arrived at the GSP centre in Erlanger, Kentucky and has sat there for almost 1 month before finally moving on yesterday. The Global Shipping Program is awful. Very expensive and the the " import fees" are added on top. Contact the seller (let them know the GSP costs) and most will be willing to use a much cheaper option. In "discussions" with eBay, they are very quick to blame the buyer or the seller for the shipping problem. Show them proof of GSP delay and they go quiet!!

Message 8 of 31
Latest reply

@230791 wrote:

Just going through a lengthy process of finding what has happened to my purchase from the US. Seems the parcel arrived at the GSP centre in Erlanger, Kentucky and has sat there for almost 1 month before finally moving on yesterday. The Global Shipping Program is awful. Very expensive and the the " import fees" are added on top. Contact the seller (let them know the GSP costs) and most will be willing to use a much cheaper option. In "discussions" with eBay, they are very quick to blame the buyer or the seller for the shipping problem. Show them proof of GSP delay and they go quiet!!

Because of things being slowed down now due to corona virus etc., GSP is not a good choice. With the extra handling and parcels being sent to Erlanger, Kentucky,  other carrier etc., it's best not to use it Too many links in a chain.. The other stuff you posted I strongly agree with.

There was an item in Florida that I wanted. With the import fees it 's going to cost too much. I would get it otherwise. I asked the seller if he'd please change to USPS and even though a nice chap, he doesn't like to change things. This is one of the very few that haven't changed the listing for me. I'm loath to buy an item listed with GSP under any circumstances. I can on an extremely odd occasion buy an item listed with GSP if it's extremely rare and I'm never likely to see it again  as is the case with this one, but wit the usual hassles related to GSP and the issues caused by corona virus, I'm going to leave it.

Message 9 of 31
Latest reply

4channel, if a seller is unwilling to change shipping methods, another option is to ask them if they can put the exact weight and dimensions of the item into the listing. They need to revise the listing to do that. While it will still be a little bit dearer than USPS, it brings the cost down to a more reasonable amount. For example, if it would cost $25 via USPS, it might cost say $30 with GSP if they enter the weight. If they don't put the weight and dimensions in, GSP add whatever they like and that's why we see a pair of earrings with $110 postage.

A couple of years ago a US seller had 2 items I wanted. The GSP cost was astronomical. I sent her a message saying I wanted both items, but asked would she be kind enough to edit one of the listings to include both items. I also asked if she could include the weight and dimensions when she edited. She happily obliged, and it was literally only a few dollars difference than posting with USPS. I think I was also lucky in that I received the items in under 2 weeks. 

Even with the postage costs, it was still close to $100 cheaper than buying them from the company (medical supplies for Mr Tippy), so was well worth it.

Message 10 of 31
Latest reply