Got scammed. Please help.

aam.ank
Community Member

I bought a Samsung s6 and a Samsung s6 edge from a seller, at a very reasonable price. I paid via bank transfer outside eBay, because it was posted as Local Pick up only, and I asked the seller to post. In the list it was mentioned that the price is for 1 phone each, and I can choose one of my liking, but I contacted the seller through text (his number was provided) that I will pay for both with double the price and postage fees, and we agreed. But when I opened the parcel there was only one phone inside, eventhogh I paid for 2 phones. I tried contacting the seller, but no reply and does not pick up my call.

I know eBay wont help me as I bought it outside eBay, so is there anthing I can do? Can the police help? Or the ACORN? ***I once got scammed on Gumtree for a smaller amount $150, the police told me to report to ACORN, and I did, but it has been a month now and still no responce from ACORN***. So can I rely on the police or the ACORN to help?

I have the seller's name, number and bank details, can I do anything with these?

Please suggest me what to do, did you ever face in a similar situation? If so what did you do to get your money back?

Message 1 of 30
Latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

Re: Got scammed. Please help.

its strange did the op state he has another problem a month ago that was sent to acorn , then buys a phone or 2 , arnt they trouble buying phones on the net.

Message 11 of 30
Latest reply

It doesn't mention the seller as having two phones, but if you check that sellers selling history they have sold a number of phones recently, for big money.  But still have, at this stage, only a feedback of one.

Message 12 of 30
Latest reply

"I doubt that it is the phone in question here as it does not mention the seller having 2 phones or give the seller's phone number"

beautbots01

"It doesn't mention the seller as having two phones but"

The phone showing as purchased through eBay is an Apple iphone.

The OP wrote "I bought a Samsung s6 and a Samsung s6 edge from a seller"

so different phones.

aam.ank, as Lyndal has requested, can you please post the item number ?

Message 13 of 30
Latest reply

Possibly you could contact the Financial Ombudsman.
Message 14 of 30
Latest reply

Anyone can get caught by a scam but I am surprised you went ahead with this sort of deal within a month of having trouble on gumtree.

In my opinion, $150 plus is not a small amount.

Whether ACORN will help-you can only try.

But meanwhile, here is some free advice.

On gumtree, it is usually a case of paying on pick up. If someone lives too far away and wants bank deposit, don't buy, look elsewhere.

On ebay, if an item is listed as pick up only, same deal, don't bid if you can't pick up.

On ebay, only pay via paypal.No matter what.

And in answer to your question-ever faced a similar situation. Yes, years ago I bought off a woman I had bought from before. Paid via paypal, found my payment was not going through. The woman told me her account was playing up, and could I go into paypal, cancel payment there & pay via bank deposit instead. I was worried about being reported as a non payer &  I had dealt with her before, so I did.

Last I ever heard from her and no, I never got a cent back. I lost about $30. The lesson I learnt is if some seller ever says their paypal is playing up then bad luck, I couldn't care less if I get a strike, I won't pay unless it is via paypal.

Like you, I did also make an exception to this rule, just a couple of years ago. Bought some ribbon from a seller and asked about a wider one in same colour. She had it but not in any ad, said she could send some, could I pay into bank deposit. I did. Bit naughty I suppose as it was a transaction off ebay, done via private message. Difference was my purchase was $2.45 so I did it knowing it could be a risk. Turned out to be a great seller, I'd buy again from her anytime.

But for bigger purchases, paypal every time. Or real shops.

Message 15 of 30
Latest reply

@michellebartley wrote:
Possibly you could contact the Financial Ombudsman.

What could the Financial Services Ombudsman do for the OP Michelle?   The seller is not a business.  This is a matter for the police or ACORN.

Message 16 of 30
Latest reply

Consumer affairs with receipts they will have the answers you need.

Message 17 of 30
Latest reply

do a chargeback ,instant refund

Message 18 of 30
Latest reply

Ah, about that..................................

http://feedback.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=10newsrox2013&iid=-1&de=off&items=...

But then again........................................

http://feedback.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=10newsrox2013&ftab=FeedbackLeftFor...

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 19 of 30
Latest reply

Newsrox, the OP posed this question back in Sept 2015.

Not many banks will do chargebacks that far.

Please if you want to try to help, I suggest you study the forums and do some reading in site map, bottom of the page.

image host
Message 20 of 30
Latest reply