Help/advice pls - Aust Post contractor signed for my item & it's missing

We've lost a very expensive item that was delivered from the USA via USPS Express last week. Yet the AP tracking shows that it's been signed for!

Last Sunday we arrived back from an Easter Holiday, and it seems that the AP Contractor had come Tuesday 10th at about 7:38am -  there is a hangup on our home Answering Machine (my home phone number is on the vendor's invoice) at that time. The delivery status says delivered at 7:42am.

I phoned AP customer service and they say there's a scrawled signature with my first name on it. I am unable to get a copy, but I've asked the vendor to request it via USPS. I never sign my name that way, and anyway I can easily verify that I wasn't here on that day. The item should have been carded, not dropped.

Item was paid by Paypal, funded by a ANZ Visa Debit card. Theoretically I cannot claim INR since the item was delivered - and it'd be really unfair to chargeback on the vendor since they certainly did deliver something to us.

AP seemed to be saying "too bad", claim back via the vendor. Yet the only reason it's missing is because the AP employee seems to have either delivered to the wrong address or signed for it themselves and left it sitting on our front porch for nearly a week!

So, how on earth should I handle this? The item cost me almost $1000, so it's not a loss that I can "absorb". I'm wondering if anybody has had similar experiences, especially with making a claim against Australia Post for such a loss.

Thanks heaps for any advice you can give me. 🙂

Message 1 of 159
Latest reply
158 REPLIES 158

Re: Help/advice pls - Aust Post contractor signed for my item & it's missing

OMG-received an email overnight from Paypal-they've refunded BUT they've taken the money from the SELLER 😮

This is MORALLY wrong-seller sent via international registered post so should have been covered by Paypal.

Paypal said they MAY give me DISCRETIONARY/COURTESY refund after they confirmed with AP that van with my parcel in was stolen.At NO time did they say they'd take money from the seller.

WTF do I do now ?? Money should NOT have been taken from the seller.

And don't forget,AP said they MAY give me refund when THEIR enquiries were complete-no timeframe given.

Oh & up to last night,I'd received 4 emails from seller asking me to close dispute & they MAY give me a refund after THEIR enquiries were complete through Hong Kong post which would take 6-8 weeks.

What a mess.:_|

Message 151 of 159
Latest reply

To answer your question Suitcase - yes the value of the item is visible on the parcel, there has to be a declared value for it to

pass through Australian Customs, and it has to be visible as they would not have time to go opening every invoice etc to process it.

You can't please all the people all the time, so now I just please myself

Message 152 of 159
Latest reply

Foxy - you sound like you have got a very sore head 😞

Chin up, it will all work out, trust me - I'm a cat B-)

You can't please all the people all the time, so now I just please myself

Message 153 of 159
Latest reply

Foxy  that's terrible, I can only imagine how bad that makes you feel, when you KNOW the seller has absolutely nothing to do with the issue !!!!

Well imagine how many posties are sitting around familiarising themselves with ebays & paypals rules

..... big price tag on customs forms on outside of parcels would tempt one or two to do some research I'm sure

not so far fetched when you consider how many convicted se x offenders end up working in pre-school environments etc....security checks seem to be very very lacking these days & people are 'people' & there are some pretty calculation s'sofb's out there sadly..

Perhaps this is an issue [re customs declaration] that ebay/pp/customs &AP need to sit down & discuss.

Message 154 of 159
Latest reply

:_|

And have now received email overnight from seller saying THEY refunded on 27th November but there is NO refund showing & the reference number they've given is meaningless ??;\

Going to check with Paypal in the morning 😞

Message 155 of 159
Latest reply

Oh & it clearly shows in my Paypal acount that REVERSAL done by Paypal on 24th from sellers account so NFI what seller is on about.

And double checked the reference number seller has given & nothing even remotely resembling it anywhere in Paypal-sigh.

Message 156 of 159
Latest reply

I know I'm resurrecting this thread but I'm having similar issues with someone fraudulently signing for my package. DHL was the source deliverer for my parcel and it was outsourced to Australia Post when it arrived locally. Long story short, I was home all day with the front door opened and nobody attempted delivery. When I contacted DHL about my parcel, they sent me a proof of delivery from Australia Post with a signature by the addressee which was supposed to be me. I obviously did not sign for the parcel, and the signature was really just random lines which did not resemble anything. I have raised the issue with DHL, Australia Post and my sender and the issue is currently under investigation and I was promised someone will ring me tomorrow morning. I will update the post as I go. Hopefully my issue can be resolved like Coops. Otherwise I will be lodging a police report, as one of the posts previously suggested, it is a criminal offence to impersonate someone else's signature. I just want to say that this post has been very infomative for me, as I have been searching the web to find out my options, and this post had so many good advices.

p.s. The funny thing is I had another delivery by TNT on the same day, where the courier actually knocked the door, obtained my signature and delvered my goods successfully.

Message 157 of 159
Latest reply

Message 158 of 159
Latest reply

Thanks for resurrecting this ancient thread to give us the benefit of your (non)advice.

Please look at the dates before answering on a thread....this thread is so old that there have been numerous changes on ebay and in Australia Post.

Message 159 of 159
Latest reply