High postage cost

takut0
Community Member

I just recieved my item today and I'm overal very pleased with the goods but not the postage/handling fee. I fully agreed to pay the postage cost when I hit 'buy' button BUT I didn't expect to get majorly ripped off either.

They charge $6 for standard postage.

Well item turns up to doay...The package costs $1.05 (even cheaper if bought in bulk) and the stamp $1.40 (two 70cents stamps).

Plus, the package it came in is padded bag so there wasn't charges for bubble wrap.

Sooo..the "handling fee" is $3.55? That seems to be a bit high, right?

Message 1 of 37
Latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

Re: High postage cost

I had this occur to me before, buyer sqabbling over postage; and wanting a discount after they have bought multiple items, each paid separately thus incurring maximum PayPal fees.

I sell Stamp Albums on CD of my own creation weigning 40gm each and have decided on the following:

1 - Free Postage world wide. I simply averaged out a months postage costs and handling fees and added that to the item price.

2 - No discount on postage. Its free!

3 - No refunding post sale discount. Do it before buying and I set up a special item with the discounted price, again with free postage.

I have added the following to my listings when changing the price to include postage and handling

DISCOUNTING
We do not charge for postage anywhere in the world.  We are unable to offer a discount on postage.  If you wish to buy more than four Stamp Albums together, please contact us PRIOR to ordering. We will negotiate a discount and provide one listing for all your items. Under no circumstances can discounts be given after purchase has been made.

So I now have a FREE POSTAGE banner on every one of my listings world wide. According to EBay this is what the buyer wants and I hope sales inprove.

Best wishes

Robert

Message 11 of 37
Latest reply

Didn't you realise that buyers expect sellers to donate the time spent selecting and preparing the item for postage for free rather than charging for the time which is perfectly allowable under ebay's terms. It is all very well estimating what the seller paid for the packaging materials and then adding on the actual postage cost but what about the cost of the label or the ink to write the address plus depending on the brand of toothpaste and mouthwash the seller uses they may consider their spit for sticking the stamps on to be worth at least 50c Smiley LOL

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 12 of 37
Latest reply

Smiley LOL

Message 13 of 37
Latest reply

I forgot to add the fee that ebay charge on the service provided by me. So it would be about $3.50 for handling.

Message 14 of 37
Latest reply

@dylan11235813 wrote:

According to a show I saw on TV the other day the average pay in Australia is $80,000 / year. If it take 5 minutes to package an item that equates to about $3.20 just for handling.

And going by some postage/handling fees I have seen on listings over the years, $80,000 must be a drop in the ocean for some people

Message 15 of 37
Latest reply

They must treat and pay their employees quite well Cat LOL

The only reason I would be unhappy with a postage/handling costs as stated upfrount is if the item got damaged in the post due to lack of packaging, in which case a buyer can put a claim in with paypal (assuming this is the payment method). Not that I fully agree with this type of scenario anyway.

And before someones says that Australia Post doesn;t offer a fragile service and packages need to withstand 20kg dropped on the item, I think Australia Post should be less vague and convoluted in their policies, which no doubt is done on purpose.

Message 16 of 37
Latest reply

What is vague and convoluted about the statement that there is no Fragile service offered by Australia Post?

As for packages having to withstand 20 kg being dropped on them...that is just common sense.  As 20 kg is the upper weight limit carried by AP that is the weight that could be dropped on top of any other parcel.

What is hard to understand about either of those statements?

Message 17 of 37
Latest reply

How big is the parcel being dropped (that weighs 20kg)? Do they drop parcels?

Message 18 of 37
Latest reply

How big is the parcel being dropped (that weighs 20kg)? Do they drop parcels?

Does it matter how big they are, if they are large and heavy the underparcel goes splat, if they are small and heavy the underparcel goes keerrrrrrackkkk. Do they drop parcels, how else do you think they are going to fill a container, do you think they are going to lean over and gently place each individual parcel in the sack or box or whatever?

Popular belief, and this has been posted by AP workers, is that the word FRAGILE is interpreted as "Please use me as a football" or "See whyo can throw me the furthest"

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 19 of 37
Latest reply

so all packages need to withstand a 20kg crowbar (a long metal bar for digging/grinding) from waist hight.

Message 20 of 37
Latest reply