How do I find sellers that do not use australia post?

iktbay
Community Member

Hi,

I do not want to use Australia Post for non-delivery of anything ever again. The hour and a half I would need to spend collecting a parcel is costs me 3 times more than the item. Australia post never deliver parcels, only cards in your mailbox. 

I recently had a good experience with fast-away couriers. Is there some way I can filter or search for sellers who do not use Australia Post? Or, are sellers generally willing to negotiate price for an alternative delivery method?

If there is no way to purchase items on ebay without using Australia Post, then I guess I will just need to buy on Amazon, who DO actually deliver your items.

Thanks and regards,

iktbay

Message 1 of 68
Latest reply
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

To summarise:

jensmanchester suggested an Australia Post locker, which I researched but unfortunately does not allow delivery of receipted delivery items. The customer service operator also informed me that lockers are not carded for receipted delivery items.

howie696 suggested a PO Box, but has not responded on how that helps with receipted delivery items. I have no trouble receiving parcel cards in my own mailbox, so I am not sure how a PO Box would help.

tej8128 suggested to 'Stop paying for signature on delivery' which sounds like an excellent idea, except that I have no idea how to achieve it. When I purchased the item in question I was not presented with a form with options to change the delivery method (i.e. to send unregistered or uninsured). If there is a way to do this, I am all ears.

I think that pretty much sums it up.

View solution in original post

Message 32 of 68
Latest reply

Just one other thought... If parcel lockers and PO boxes aren't a viable option, perhaps an alternative delivery address might help? That's assuming it's more a case of an individual postie not attempting to deliver for one reason or another on that particular route, but if you have a work address, friend, family or associate where deliveries can be made (on a different postie's route), it might yield a different (hopefully easier) result. 

View solution in original post

Message 41 of 68
Latest reply
67 REPLIES 67

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

If you are not at home to take delivery of a parcel from Australia Post then they will leave a card for you to collect it from your local post office, maybe a few kilometres away.

If you are not at home when a courier delivers a parcel they will leave a card for you to arrange another delivery time.  If you cannot arrange another time you will have to collect it from the courier depot which could be 50 kilometres away from you and often has much more restricted opening times than Australia Post.

I doubt that there would be many sellers who would use a courier delivery for a one off parcel for one buyer.....there are few courier services that work that way.  You normally have to have an account with a courier for delivery of most/all of your parcels.

As for having a good experience with Fastway couriers....for your one good experience of them you can probably find dozens of posts on the boards from people who do not like them at all and will not deal with sellers who use them.

I regularly get deliveries from Queensland from a seller who uses Fastway and I have never yet had a fast, fuss free delivery from that seller.  I use that seller because they are the best seller for the items I want but if I was really concerned about the speed of delivery and having to arrange redelivery then I would run a mile.  Even being home all day, everyday, I often still have to arrange redelivery as the courier who delivers in my area seems to be allergic to knocking on doors.

Message 2 of 68
Latest reply

Amazon parcels are also delivered by Australia Post.

Have you tried speaking with your postie? or mention it to your local post office?

My postie left cards because he couldn't find the front door. I caught him one day and asked him to knock for a signature, and it's been fine since then.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 3 of 68
Latest reply

Everything I have ever tried to buy from amazon say sorry can't delivery to your area or some such rubbish. I have given up on amazon completely now.
Message 4 of 68
Latest reply

Regardless of whether I am home or not, Australia Post leaves a card in my mailbox. They just don't deliver parcels at all. I've had Australia Post forge delivery times and signatures. As a general rule, Australia Post delivers cards, not parcels.

It is irrelevant how far the post office is from me. To collect a parcel takes around an hour and a half of my time. 15 minutes each way to the post office, and an hour waiting in line to collect my parcel. An hour and a half has an economic value of $115 to me. Why would I spend $115 of my time to collect a $30 parcel, when the reason I order online in the first place is to save that very time searching for items in retail shops?

I hear what you are saying about courier delivery, I have had the same experience at different addresses, however I have never had a receipted parcel delivered by Aust Post, and I just don't have the time or incentive to spend hours collecting parcels that I paid to have delivered. I may as well just order from Amazon, who DO deliver items to my mailbox.

Message 5 of 68
Latest reply

Well, Amazon must know how to get Aust Post to leave my parcel in the security mail room then.

There is no point speaking to my postie, I am not home during the day. I have this thing called work I need to attend while Aust Post are not delivering parcels to me.

If there was some way I could collect a parcel in 10 minutes instead of an hour, then I could probably duck out at lunch and collect it. Sadly, Aust Post is as poor at parcel collection as they are at delivery, so this option is unavailable to me.

Never mind, Amazon will soon sell everything, I just have to wait.

Message 6 of 68
Latest reply

@iktbay wrote:

I may as well just order from Amazon, who DO deliver items to my mailbox.

Amazon don't deliver anything, they send things and the postal services deliver them. When they arrive in Australia, it's Australia Post who deliver them, so I'm not sure why your packages for items bought on Amazon are treated any differently than those bought from eBay. How many purchases have you made from each site (in order to determine the difference in how the parcels are treated).

Message 7 of 68
Latest reply

Amazon don't deliver anything, they send things and the postal services deliver them. When they arrive in Australia, it's Australia Post who deliver them, so I'm not sure why your packages for items bought on Amazon are treated any differently than those bought from eBay. How many purchases have you made from each site (in order to determine the difference in how the parcels are treated).

I have purchased 5 times from Amazon, all delivered to door or mailbox. I have purchased 8 times from ebay, 1 delivered to mailbox (I think because it was tiny), 7 carded.

Message 8 of 68
Latest reply

You could look at signing up for the Australia Post Locker Service which could solve most of your problems with AP.

Message 9 of 68
Latest reply

Depending on the size of the packages, they may have been handled differently (small parcels are generally meant to be delivered by the regular postie with letters etc, larger ones by a contractor). There have been a few mentions on the boards of posties who will always card rather than take the parcels out for delivery, but the contractor's sole job is to deliver parcels, so that might be one explanation and it's possible the parcels from Amazon are being given to the contractor regardless of size, though if that were the case I suspect it wouldn't have anything to do with Amazon themselves, as I often get small parcels from OS delivered to my street address by the postie, but some others (of the same small size and from the same company) are delivered by a contractor.

Message 10 of 68
Latest reply