How do I find sellers that do not use australia post?

iktbay
Community Member

Hi,

I do not want to use Australia Post for non-delivery of anything ever again. The hour and a half I would need to spend collecting a parcel is costs me 3 times more than the item. Australia post never deliver parcels, only cards in your mailbox. 

I recently had a good experience with fast-away couriers. Is there some way I can filter or search for sellers who do not use Australia Post? Or, are sellers generally willing to negotiate price for an alternative delivery method?

If there is no way to purchase items on ebay without using Australia Post, then I guess I will just need to buy on Amazon, who DO actually deliver your items.

Thanks and regards,

iktbay

Message 1 of 68
Latest reply
67 REPLIES 67

How does the locker service work with items that are receipted delivery? Is delivery to the locker considered to be a 'receipt'?

@jensmanchester wrote:

You could look at signing up for the Australia Post Locker Service which could solve most of your problems with AP.

Message 11 of 68
Latest reply

Yes it is. Once you collect the parcel from the locker it is considered delivered.

Message 12 of 68
Latest reply

This is quite likely no longer relevant, but I bought a number of items from Amazon about 3 years ago now, and AP took no part whatsoever in their ultimate delivery to my front door.

Every single Amazon order I received was delivered by DHL couriers, although from what I've been reading in here, that has clearly changed (and apparently for the worse). I've no idea why, because there's an absolutely immense DHL depot just up the road at Crestmead, no more than 2km from where I live. Go figure.
Message 13 of 68
Latest reply

@jensmanchester wrote:

Yes it is. Once you collect the parcel from the locker it is considered delivered.

Sorry, according to the Aust Post website that is not correct.

http://auspost.com.au/parcels-mail/parcel-lockers.html

Items not accepted to Parcel Lockers 

You can have any parcel sent to your 24/7 Parcel Locker, except:

• letters and standard mail that can be delivered to your letterbox
  • Express Post letters
  • parcels larger than 39cm x 36cm x 64cm
  • parcels that are heavier than 16kg
  • parcels that require proof of identity
  • parcels that require a signature on delivery 
  • parcels that require the recipient's ID to be recorded at delivery
  • parcels where there is a payment required on delivery
  • parcels that are damaged or unsuitably packaged
  • parcels delivered by a courier that has chosen not to deliver to our parcel lockers
  • parcels containing alcohol
  • parcels containing perishables
It is my understanding that receipted delivery requires a signature. Leave it to Australia Post to create a new service equally as useless as their current service.

Message 14 of 68
Latest reply

@cq_tech wrote:
This is quite likely no longer relevant, but I bought a number of items from Amazon about 3 years ago now, and AP took no part whatsoever in their ultimate delivery to my front door.

Every single Amazon order I received was delivered by DHL couriers, although from what I've been reading in here, that has clearly changed (and apparently for the worse). I've no idea why, because there's an absolutely immense DHL depot just up the road at Crestmead, no more than 2km from where I live. Go figure.

I just got an expedited delivery from Amazon yesterday. I ordered last Wednesday and selected expedited delivery because one of the items was a Christmas present. So whomever Amazon uses, they were able to pack, send and DELIVER TO MY MAILBOX from the United States in FOUR BUSINESS DAYS.And it was still cheaper than buying the items from an Australian store.

Contrast this with a small item I ordered more than a week ago on ebay that I still don't have in my possession because Aust Post can't be bothered delivering parcels. I guess Aust Post is just a retail shop now selling calenders and the like. Maybe they should contract out the delivery part in it's entirety to an organisation with experience in actually delivering parcels to people.

Message 15 of 68
Latest reply

The workers of Australia Post do a great job, especially considering how understaffed and underpaid they are. It's so annoying the constant whinging that goes on. I sell and buy, I get my parcels in good time and so do my buyers. The amount of carry on when something is a couple of days later than the estimated time is ridiculous, if people are that impatient go to the shop.

Message 16 of 68
Latest reply

My daughter was expecting delivery of an item the other day, from a courier. She was at home with her son and he noticed that the front gate was open, so they checked that the animals were all still in and looked around the verandah to see if the courier had come and not knocked on the open front door, didn't find anything, so was still waiting for the parcel and much later she went into her other son's bedroom and found a parcel on the floor under the  slightly open  window.

It was quite a heavy parcel and it had been forced in through the window and dropped on the floor. It was ok, but...........what if a baby had been sleeping in a cot under the window?

How dangerous.

Message 17 of 68
Latest reply

@boris1gary wrote:

The workers of Australia Post do a great job, especially considering how understaffed and underpaid they are. It's so annoying the constant whinging that goes on. I sell and buy, I get my parcels in good time and so do my buyers. The amount of carry on when something is a couple of days later than the estimated time is ridiculous, if people are that impatient go to the shop.

Yes, the notion of a commercial contract where one party exchanges legal tender for a product or service is definitely ridiculous. Why should the other party deliver the service when they could just take the money and do nothing in return?

Message 18 of 68
Latest reply

get a post office box 🙂

solves heaps of problems

Message 19 of 68
Latest reply

How does a PO Box solve the problem of receipted delivery?

Message 20 of 68
Latest reply