How to deal with threats?

grivia
Community Member

Hello

I have reported abuse, threats (and death threats) over 6 times now from a member who didn't like the fact that PayPal sided with me when I provided images of an item that arrived in a damaged state.

These have been over the last 2 weeks and still nothing has been done.

What am I left to do when a member is free to keep messaging me and I am not even able to block them? Clearly eBay doesn't care, and I'm not sure what my options are.

Thanks.

Message 1 of 23
Latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Click on Customer Support in the top right corner, follow the links until you can find the phone number and phone ebay.

TCT
Message 2 of 23
Latest reply

By the way if you've changed your ID so you can't be found that doesn't work very well because the seller can find out it's you from auction details, feedback or by checking your ID history.

TCT
Message 3 of 23
Latest reply

If death threats are involved, I would take a trip to the local police station with print outs of all messages. 😉

image host
Message 4 of 23
Latest reply

Add the person to your blocked bidders list (even if they are a seller) because that is the best way to block someone through ebay that I know of.

Message 5 of 23
Latest reply

What am I left to do when a member is free to keep messaging me and I am not even able to block them? Clearly eBay doesn't care, and I'm not sure what my options are.

Thanks.

eBay cannot do much, it is a police matter; death threats are a criminal offence.  Unfortunately, it is not possible to allow people to block somebody who you had a transaction with; that would be abused.  So the option to block is not there and the staff you are dealing with cannot do anything - it is irrelevant if they care or not.

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Voltaire: “Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” .
Message 6 of 23
Latest reply

grivia
Community Member

Supposedly, they can do plenty.

If, through the email evidence you provide, we confirm a serious threat of physical harm was made, the offending member's account will be indefinitely suspended.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/rfe-spam-ov.html

But nothing. No notification that the reports were received, that anything is being done, nothing.

I also contacted other members who gave the same user negative feedback for similar situations, the response from the last guy was that the same seller threatened to 'break him' and his brother. They reported him too. Guess what? Nothing.

I guess the police is the only answer, but it's pretty damn shameful that eBay chooses to ignore these reports.

Message 7 of 23
Latest reply

grivia
Community Member

Looks like quote tags don't work here without specified ID's -_-

I quoted from the above:

"If, through the email evidence you provide, we confirm a serious threat of physical harm was made, the offending member's account will be indefinitely suspended."

Message 8 of 23
Latest reply

to tell the truth i wouldnt have even worried about contacting ebay straight away, i would have printed out a copy of all the emails and abuse and gone straight to the police. Firstly they will be guilty of making a threat against your life, harassment , possibly cyber stalking, and also a big one, is they are using a communications device/service to make threats, which in itself if a federal crime. 

i know most people are full of it and just words on a screen, but with all of that and a visit from the cops, i am sure they would stop bothering you.

than after all of that report them to ebay 

Message 9 of 23
Latest reply

to tell the truth i wouldnt have even worried about contacting ebay straight away, i would have printed out a copy of all the emails and abuse and gone straight to the police. Firstly they will be guilty of making a threat against your life, harassment , possibly cyber stalking, and also a big one, is they are using a communications device/service to make threats, which in itself if a federal crime. 

i know most people are full of it and just words on a screen, but with all of that and a visit from the cops, i am sure they would stop bothering you.

than after all of that report them to ebay 

I'll second this advice.

Why expect eBay to deal with what is essentially a breach of the law.  I would not respond to the email threats, just print them off and visit the police.  Ask them to record your complaint and ask for a copy of the report if possible, at the very least ask for a report number (just like you are asked to do when making an insurance claim).  Then, report them to eBay, let eBay know you have made a complaint to the police, and fax eBay a copy of the police report.

Being suspended by eBay would be the least of the worries for a coward who sends threatening emails.

Message 10 of 23
Latest reply