I believe it is a fraud

I bought a laptop on June 7th, 2022. The seller didn't send me tracking number till June 10th, 2022. So I sent the seller some messages.

And then I got tracking number on June 11th,2022. But someone has already taken the item on June 8th,2022. However, I didn't get the item. So I check that on FedEx. But it is not a laptop. It is too big and too heavy.

The seller lives in Ireland. But the item shipped in UK(England). And it just took 4 days from UK to Australia. And the seller updated the tracking number after someone took the item.

What's more I have to pay Value added tex when I import a item over $1,000 to the customs. But I didn't get a notice about that. The seller used the other person's tracking number. So I believe it is a fraud. 

Message 1 of 29
Latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

Re: I believe it is a fraud

How can the seller shipped before I order.

Yes, that's strange. I would ask FedEx for an explanation for starters. 

It is definitely strange, but the seller could not know the destination before you bought either? Even if the tracking number is fake, the scan apparently happened before you bought the laptop? I wonder if the time is US time instead of UK time?

Contacting FedEx would be my first step - concerning dates and concerning delivery (if they remember where they delivered it and who signed for it). What they say will also help you if you later need to open a case because if the tracking just says delivered it will be difficult for you to get your money back, so eBay will want some additional information from FedEx.

Contact them as soon as they open and let us know what they say. Ask them for a scan of the signature too so it can be compared to yours if necessary. Hopefully they don't do what AusPost currently does (sign for the recipient because of COVID).

Message 21 of 29
Latest reply

I got an e-mail from FedEx

Thank you for taking the time to write in to us.

Please be inform , the shipment 777044301287 consigned to a different name and address at Wickham Street , QLD which we had delivered this correctly as per details provided by sender. The item are motor car parts . We are unable to disclose any further details due to shipping and privacy policy.

Just to let you know that we've been receiving few emails similar to this, and customer was actually provided with random FedEx tracking number that belongs to someone else.
Most of the cases , customer was scammed by seller and requesting for PayPal to refund.

You need to check with sender for further clarification or to get them to provide with correct tracking number.

Thank you.

Be careful Everyone.

Message 22 of 29
Latest reply

Yeah, I know this would be the case the minute I saw your original message.

I don't know how the other forum members feel, but one option would be to open an "Item Not as Described" dispute. You can't open an "Item Not Received" dispute as I mentioned before.

By opening this dispute, you can put any reason you like in the comment ie: defective product/not working etc. Of course, you don't have the actual item, but it might be the way to get back your money.

Once this type of case is opened, the seller has to either send money for return overseas postage, OR they have to refund you. Since the seller is counting on you to open a Not Received case, this might work? 

Message 23 of 29
Latest reply

I got a refund it.

I opened a caee "I didn't receive the item".

And I asked FedEx the item and I got the answer.  It wasn't sent me the item and I wasn't a laptop. 

So I can get my money back. However, It was shipped to me and if it was a laptop, I couldn't get a refund. 

Be careful everyone. 

Message 24 of 29
Latest reply

You might have been right when you said that the seller works for FedEx.

I mean, how could the seller give you a tracking number for an item that was posted to your location more or less when you bought the laptop (just a bit earlier) without working for FedEx? I doubt that the seller, being located overseas, would know someone exactly where you live. Sometimes scammers give fake tracking numbers, but they are obviously never scanned and usually come up as "not found" or "invalid". Or... there is also a network of scammers located in Australia who do that and who have several local partners in crime (to whom they send the parcels). I have seen such cases mentioned here, but never from overseas as far as I can remember.

I think you should give the seller feedback to warn other potential buyers.

Message 25 of 29
Latest reply

I am not sure of it.

But maybe they can hack some trading company (or sites that share tracking numbers) so if the seller can get a tracking number, the seller uses that. If the seller can't get the tracking number, the seller delete the item and the account. 

Select a wealthy specific country and  prepare a trcking number ( hacking or the sell er works in the trading company or courier company )

The seller didn't answer me.

There are lots of fraud on e-bay. 

You can search "zephyrus dou".

I think  scammers use vpn to create accounts  in other countries.

Message 26 of 29
Latest reply

@idseraphimbi-0 wrote:

I think  scammers use vpn to create accounts  in other countries.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Normally eBay does not allow that...

Message 27 of 29
Latest reply

Yes, you are right.

But I don't know how I do that.

We don't buy to a seller who 0 feedback and just made the account now a days. That's first.

I am not sure the seller used a regal ID and a bank account detail. 

It seems to be the e-bay homework assignment

Message 28 of 29
Latest reply

I don't know if Managed Payments also apply to Ireland. I would think so, but maybe the rules are different there.

Yes, they do, so I don't know how he managed to organize such a scam.

https://www.ebay.ie/sellercentre/seller-update/2021-march/managed-payments

Message 29 of 29
Latest reply