I'm after some advice please.

5kazam
Community Member

I purchased a hand held high pressure steam cleaner - advertised as 350ml capacity.  The instruction booklet said to fill with 175ml (max 250ml).  Several messages back and forth to seller who said I could fill to 350ml.  I advised that I was not prepared to take the risk over overfilling the cleaner due to potential injury.  Seller then offered me $15 credit, and keep the cleaner.

In the end I instigated an eBay return on the basis of 'not as advertised'.  Then more messages with seller who upped the credit to $40.

I've now received a message from eBay : "Thank you for confirming this opted option. In this case, we highly suggest kindly accept the offer through this email so your partial refund will automatically process as well as the case will be close to avoid any hassle on both ends. Your cooperation regarding this matter is highly appreciated. We are looking forward to hearing from you soon."  (At least I think it's from eBay, could be the seller!)

I don't want to keep the item, as I will never use it.  It's not what I believed I was purchasing.

So, now for the advice please.  If I don't accept the partial refund, will I still be able to continue with my return claim, or do eBay then wash their hands of the issue.  

Message 1 of 23
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I am with you. There is no way on earth I'd be risking over filling that pressure steam cleaner.

The instructions are quite clear, there has to be room left. 

The seller  may be saying you can fill it to 350ml but I wouldn't be going against written instructions if i were you.

I don't care if the instruction book is 'maybe' not the right one or any of that. All that matters here is you bought something you believed to have 350ml capacity and you've received something with instructions that just don't fit the description.

You're never going to be happy with this purchase, it's confusing, it is disappointing, you're not going to feel confident using it so just go for a full refund, you don't have to accept a partial refund.

And go into some real stores to check these cleaners out and have a good look at the instructions & ask the hard questions in there to make sure you get a model you are happy with. Good luck!

View solution in original post

Message 23 of 23
Latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Check your internal eBay messages in your eBay account to confirm it was from eBay, I did not think a partial could be offered once a return was started? But I could be wrong as so much has changed

Message 2 of 23
Latest reply

Yes it is in eBay messages.  It was the wording that made me think it was written by the seller.

Message 3 of 23
Latest reply

It sounds weird, eBay are usually on the side of the buyer through and through.

Can you respond anywhere and refuse the partial within the dispute and push for full return of INAD - still sounds fishy to me.

Wait until someone more experienced to answer coz I don't want to steer you wrong.

edit to say : Just came across similar on another thread> The buyer and I have since agreed on a partial refund of the full cost of the item minus postage costs, however it will not give me an option to 'offer partial refund' anymore as it currently says 'return in progress'.

Message 4 of 23
Latest reply

Have you actually received the correct item, if so, it is advertised extensively, off ebay, by numerous sellers including some who would be considered very reliable, with all specifying  350ml capacity.

Message 5 of 23
Latest reply

Yes I have received the item that was advertised.  And I'm aware they all list as 350ml.  It was only when I read the Operating Instructions that I found out about the 175ml.

So what am I supposed to believe - sellers or the operating instructions.

170637390.JPG170637389.JPG

Message 6 of 23
Latest reply

Or have you possibly received the wrong instruction booklet with the correct item ?

image host
Message 7 of 23
Latest reply

170637390.JPG170637389.JPG

Message 8 of 23
Latest reply

Pretty sure the ebay process doesn't deal with partial refunds.

Sounds like the seller to me.

Message 9 of 23
Latest reply

Front cover of the booklet says Maxkon.  The name on the cleaner is Maxkon.

(I did upload photos of the relevant pages, but I'm not sure what happened to them.)

Message 10 of 23
Latest reply