Is another seller allowed to use my pictures that I took!

Hi, 

Another buyer is using my photos to sell an identical item on ebay.... Is this allowed?

Thanks 

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Message the seller and ask them to kindly not use your photographs in any listings.

Unfortunately unless you watermark your pics anyone can just google and the pics that have been on eBay usually come up in a search. I am guessing the seller googled and thought that pics looks good.

Watermark - http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/sell/pictures.html#adding

image host
Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

esayaf
Community Member
EBay don't allow it. You can report the listing. I don't know how but someone accused me of using one of their pictures once and eBay cancelled my listing. I now photograph everything on my couch so I have a very distinctive background
Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

imastawka
Honored Contributor

If it's a second hand/used item, it's not allowed.

Pictures must be of the actual item so buyers can make an informed purchase

http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/policies/picture.html

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

I would first ask them to remoe the photos and if they don't report them to ebay, you will have to give the item number of yyour listing and the offending one.

If it is a one off, ended item  I am not too fussed if somebody uses my photos but for an item that I have listed or will be isting again then I will report if they don't remove.

If a buyer changes their mind I always offer them the use of my pictures and description to sell the item on rather than pay for the cost of a return.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

It depends. I have re sold items I have bought and when I set up my listing eBay gives me an option where I can use those photos and even the information they provided about the item. 

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

@belindne_60 wrote:

It depends. I have re sold items I have bought and when I set up my listing eBay gives me an option where I can use those photos and even the information they provided about the item. 

If you use another seller's listings and they find out you will soon find yourself in trouble.

You may get away with new items with manufacturers specifications but definitely you cannot re-use the sellers listing for second hand items without the seller's permission.

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

There is nothing to get away with. The option is in myebay. It says sell this item. I click on it and eBay generates the listing from which I bought the item and puts in in the form of me selling. All done from eBay. So what trouble will I get into when they do it for me. 

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

I knew it was around somewhere.....finally found it.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/image-text.html

Allowed

Allowed

• Images and text you created yourself

• All eBay product catalog images and text

Restricted 

Restricted

You should be sure you have permission from the rights owner or creator before you use the following:

• Images or text copied from websites or internet searches

• Stock photos and text

• Information from product packaging

• It's usually OK to use information such as measurements, weight, or other item specifications that are necessary to describe the item that you simply can't say any other way. However, you should avoid using any other text from product packaging unless you have permission from the owner to do so.

• Images and text copied from listings of other eBay members

• Scans or text copied from catalogs or advertisements

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

I would word a strong but polite letter, advising the other seller that if they don't remove the photos by xx date they will be reported.

You can also use the VeRO program, it's not that onerous and there is a section that specifically mentions use of text and/or images.  Follow the links on this page: http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/tp/vero-rights-owner​.html

Best of luck

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply