Is it legal for Global Shipping Program to charge $50 extra to actual cost of $23

US $23.50
Australia
USPS Priority Mail International Small Flat Rate Box

Estimated Delivery within 7-12 business days

is it reasonable that the global shipping joke charges $75 to ship the same item?

Message 1 of 80
Latest reply
79 REPLIES 79

Re: Is it legal for Global Shipping Program to charge $50 extra to actual cost of $23

That specific post was posted on the Australian boards. Why would I not assume it was directed at Australians?

Message 11 of 80
Latest reply

Re: Is it legal for Global Shipping Program to charge $50 extra to actual cost of $23

That specific post was posted on the Australian boards. Why would I not assume it was directed at Australians?

Lack of background in the subject, possibly, since the answer referred to a specifically NZ  situation, because the poster was from NZ, and there are no NZ boards to host the post. But who knows. Snippy is snippy, whatever.

Message 12 of 80
Latest reply

I purchased a pair of CK jeans for $6.95 from a US based Seller. Postage was quoted as $6.10.

i immediately made payment by PayPal for $13.05.

I happened to notice a few days later (while reviewing PayPal transactions) that a further payment of $39.95 was processed via PayPal to an unknown and unauthorised 3rd party - apparently related to the Global Shipping Program.

I authorised one single payment for the item purchased, which included a shipping charge of $6.10 as indicated. The second additional charge was somehow processed without my authority, the need for me to log into my PayPal account, nor proceed throughout a checkout or payment portal. This additional transaction was processed seconds AFTER the initial transaction was finalised. When reviewing PayPal transaction records, it is recorded as a seperate transaction.

How can this occur? How can PayPal process such a transaction in the absence of such charges being documented/included within the invoice upon which, payment is being made? More alarmingly, how can these charges be processed period?

I knew nothing about a third party, did not authorise any payments to this party and have to question how "shipping" charges can be charged twice? Furthermore, what is the need for a further $39.95 charge upon a $6.95 purchase?

Australia does not charge duty/custom or the like, for the likes of a $6.95 purchase. To be charged almost $45 "shipping" charges for a $6.95 sale......is ridiculous to say the least!!

Message 13 of 80
Latest reply

I have never heard of it happening as unauthorised.

I suggest what has happened is when you have paid it did show in checkout but is shown as a seperate amount and you didn't notice the total.

Then it shows a seperate payment to GSP in Paypal.

Postage costs in USA listing will often show local postage but when purchased will then increase to your location as GSP.

Always go into the postage section and select Australia to get the shipping cost.

To the right of item in the drop down menu is "view order".

Take a look as that is what you paid for in checkout.

image host
Message 14 of 80
Latest reply

I agree with kopenhagen5's comments - double check your shipping on the item from the listing.  

I DON'T buy from any sellers who now who use GSP.

In early Feb I accidentally purchased & didn't realise it was GSP until afterwards as I was in a rush & didn't read the listing fully.

From the time of shipment I was harrassed with GSP emails saying I needed to contact or it would not be delivered which was silly as it was still in US according to tracking.
I was then emailed to say I'd missed delivery & phone to collect - I phoned & no one knew where it was & I'd been home all day & knew exactly what I was doing at the time of the "attempted delivery".

2 days later, they decided my item could be collected from a place in WA but I live in Tas, so it was ridiculous - then item was missing.

It did finally arrive after 4 weeks.

I just looked at my paypal payment & the transaction shows as 2 individual amounts with the item cost $75.01 sent to the seller & the Shipping $17.55 sent to the shipping company.

The email paypal sent to me for that purchase -

At the top, the payment shows as normal for just the item which was $75.01.

Then underneath it shows -

International Shipping and Import Charge

Transaction ID: 

A separate payment was sent to this global shipping company to ship your package and to clear customs.

Amount

International shipping and Import charge

$17.55 USD

Total

$17.55 USD

Payment

$17.55 USD

From amount

To amount 

Exchange rate 

Payment sent to: ........

I only paid on 1 transaction for the total of  $92.56 but it is showing as 2 transactions.

$17.55 was the postage/shipping stated on the item for shipping to Australia & GSP was in a small print & as it was a reasonable charge I didn't realise until later it was GSP.  I didn't read it properly.

Avoid the GSP whenever possible.

It does work out cheaper for larger, expensive items but most of what I want to purchase is around the $10-$20 pricing & the GSP is usually $30++

Hope this helps but contact the seller first & then Paypal/ebay for assistance if needed if the postage/shipping charge is different to what is stated on the item.

The seller might be able to answer this for you.

I was only charged once for shipping & it was the amount on the listing.

Message 15 of 80
Latest reply

There is a good chance that the seller cannot help....many of them have no idea that they are even opted into the GSP, especially if they have a postage amount showing for local delivery in the USA.

That often means that they do not ship to Australia and the listings are only available to Australian buyers because ebay has put the GSP shipping on the listing. 

The seller may have no idea that the item is going overseas as the only address they are given is the shipping hub in Erlanger KY.

Even when you make one payment for the item and shipping the paypal receipt shows as 2 separate amounts....the item price going to the seller (along with any shipping charges that he has set to post the item in the USA) and the amount to Pitney Bowes to process the item and ship it to Australia.

Message 16 of 80
Latest reply

Absolutely lyndal.

Because US & UK sellers are auto-opted into the GSP, many have no idea how much $ the buyer is being asked to pay at checkout...if I see an item with those dreaded words "Customs services and international tracking provided" (ie GSP) then I message the seller explaining the outrageously inflated shipping (often more that 2-3x what the item is selling for) and ask if they might consider using USPS. Quite often they are horrified and agree to ship it 'direct', especially when they find out how many os buyers will avoid their listings like the plague. 

Message 17 of 80
Latest reply

I always ask and a lot of sellers believe they are untouchable if they use GSP.

Unfortunately if it's an auction where there's already bids (or a BIN where you've already bought) they can't opt out. Ive had a couple need to cancel a transaction and relist after I've bought because they couldn't change GSP.
Message 18 of 80
Latest reply

we were charged $50 extra too for delivery from GSP kentucky to australia, is it legal? it certainly wasn't mentioned on the order. will NEVER buy fom ebay again . . . . . . . . .

Message 19 of 80
Latest reply

The GSP is just a very expensive and very slow shipping method.....why would that be illegal?

You must have known the cost before you purchased.....it is very plainly stated on all listings using the service.

Message 20 of 80
Latest reply