Item held in Customs $350 quote to decontaminate Is GSP responsible?

Complicated & long, sorry. Purchased vintage bird cage. Shipped through global shipping program. Received email from Fed Ex stating,

Please find attached documents as requested: Genesis AWB, Commercial Invoice, AQIS Image

WHOLE CONSIGNMENT EX USA CONTAINING :

USED VINTAGE BIRDCAGE AND WOOD PLASTIC TOYS WITH BRM CONTAINMINATION

ATT REQ FOR TREATMENT OR EXPORT OR DISPOSAL

This means that the consignee has 3 options:

1) Treatment (which starts at ~$350 AUD for 25k and goes up depending on the size, 50k is more expensive starting at over $600 when GST is added.

2) Destruction of the goods

3) Re-export of the goods back to the origin

For treatment, confirmation that the consignee wants to go ahead with treatment, destruction or re-export should be in email form, and must clearly state the option they want.

To maintain an efficient and reliable service for all of our customers, FedEx allocates 5 business days to complete clearance.

WHOA! $350 minimum to disinfect. I have contacted- eBay, the shipping program, the seller & FedEx. No-one is able to help me. It seems my best option is to just say 'item not received'. Pretty sad as I really want the item

This from GSP terms & conditions--'GSP enables Buyers to obtain parcel processing, international shipping, and customs clearance services (the "Services") at checkout from a third party service provider. These Global Shipping Program Buyer Terms and Conditions ("Terms") apply to GSP Items that you purchase through GSP.'  

But obviously they don't really mean it ๐Ÿ˜ž

Message 1 of 18
Latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Re: Item held in Customs $350 quote to decontaminate Is GSP responsible?

imastawka
Honored Contributor

I don't know what the GSP covers as far as import is concerned.  Someone else may.

But what I do know is you won't win an INR case if you've refused to accept any of the

options given to you.

It's been delivered as far as they're concerned.   You'll lose your money.

Message 2 of 18
Latest reply

Only guessing here but to my knowledge any item entering Australia that does not pass quarantine inspection is decontaminated at owners cost.   Something that customs allows may not necessarily mean quarantine will allow entry.  Description to me would have sent up red flags.  If you had brought it in as excess baggage I can guarantee quarantine would have stopped it without documents to show the items had been in fact treated.

Just my opinion but believe checking prior would have been the way to go.

Did you check with authorities here before you purchased?

Message 3 of 18
Latest reply

As I uderstand, the GSP will arange customs clearance but at buyers expense.

Which in this case sounds like carrier has contacted you direct otherwise it may be dearer through GSP with their percentage of customs clear fees.

And it is definitely the buyer's responsibility to check on imports to their own country, allowed, special documentation or fumigation/radiation requirements.

image host
Message 4 of 18
Latest reply

The GSP covers import duties and taxes, where applicable. I'm afraid any other charges remain the buyer's responsibility.
Message 5 of 18
Latest reply

If you are going to import anything, do some Basic research first.

Message 6 of 18
Latest reply

I have bought several vintage bird cages over the years & never had a problem.

Message 7 of 18
Latest reply

I guess your luck ran out, and Customs is more diligent these days.

Message 8 of 18
Latest reply

I have bought several vintage bird cages over the years & never had a problem.

You fail to say wether you imported them,  but if so did they come with a fumigation certificate, if not, thanks for putting  native birds,
the caged bird and poultry industries all at risk.  Well done.
Message 9 of 18
Latest reply

Appreciate the iinsuation that I would knowingly put my industry at risk!   Seller has also informed me that cage was dusty & unused for 20+ years. Bit less of a threat than travellers with bird flu, travellers shoes & shipping containers covered in bird poop I would say!

I have contacted the Dep't of Ag, FedEx several times, eBay & Pitney Bowes. Have finally spoken to someone at FedEx in Australia, who knows the procedure. They say the Shipping Provider is responsible for the costs & it should have come with a decontamination certificate in the first place. I hope this is the case & that I eventually get my item.

I also hope this information may be of use to others on here who might find themselves in the same situation. Global Shipping is very expensive as you all know but occassionally there may be some benefits.

Message 10 of 18
Latest reply