Items supposedly located in Australia...

I noticed something interesting just now.

I saw an item that was supposedly located in Darwin, Australia.

The seller had the exact same item in another listing, except that was located in HK.

The Australian listing was 2.5x the price of the HK one but had a suspiciously long shipping time (6-9 days in Australia). In my experience, thats roughly the time it takes to ship from HK to AUS, not within Australia.

Several other HK based sellers were doing the exact same thing with the exact same descriptions (We ONLY ship within Australia, etc).

I'm thinking that non-AUS sellers are faking item locations and shipping from HK anyway to get a bigger profit margin, knowing that buyers are likely to pay more for items located in Australia....

Message 1 of 41
Latest reply
40 REPLIES 40

Re: Items supposedly located in Australia...

I rest my case, your item isn't coming from within Australia, as even from the most distant points, it doesn't take that long.

A one wing pidgeon could do better than that. Lies, lies and more lies from bad sellers.

Message 11 of 41
Latest reply

@annies_fancy_dress wrote:

It's up buyers to try and keep on top of this.

Unfortunately it's one of the things E-Bay can't control.

E-Bay offers an online venue for separate sellers, they can't catch every lie that's put on listings by unscrupulous sellers.

No it's not. It's eBay's site, eBay's lack of staff to police listings and thus eBay's fault. I report tons of violations, and nothing ever gets done. eBay are being negligent on policing sellers.

Message 12 of 41
Latest reply

Fortunately, the vast majority of sellers are above board and honest business owners/operators. It galls me to have my business dragged down by unscrupulous sellers trying to scam their buyers. Mostly they don't last long, but in the meantime the do enormous damage, not only to ebay, but to every seller who uses ebay as a selling platform.

I would suggest that buyers always check feedback at the very least. If there is any doubt contact the seller before bidding or buying. Those of us with ligitimate businesses love our customers and do all we can to provide a good and satisfying on-line buying experience.

Message 13 of 41
Latest reply

@mbeaumont7 wrote:

@annies_fancy_dress wrote:

It's up buyers to try and keep on top of this.

Unfortunately it's one of the things E-Bay can't control.

E-Bay offers an online venue for separate sellers, they can't catch every lie that's put on listings by unscrupulous sellers.

No it's not. It's eBay's site, eBay's lack of staff to police listings and thus eBay's fault. I report tons of violations, and nothing ever gets done. eBay are being negligent on policing sellers.

Ebay could hire more staff etc, but it would not change this.

Many people lie, whether it is about a location for an item on ebay or other things. It's not just ebay sellers.

Westfield is not responsible if one of their shop tenants commits false advertising, and Ebay can't check every seller has stock in a local location.

BTW i love your kitty pic, but then again I love anything kitty! ๐Ÿ™‚

Message 14 of 41
Latest reply

I finally received the item 2 weeks after i bought it. Return address on the package is "StarTrack Int C/O Koko" followed by a address in Victoria.

Im thinking that these guys are using an international freight forwarding service...

Message 15 of 41
Latest reply

Dead right about that one, as I noted in an earlier posting about items having to be returned to an airport for dispatch. Liars they are.

Message 16 of 41
Latest reply

https://www.startrack.com.au/services/international/

yes international freight forwarding that makes drop shipping look like local delivery.

BTW Auspost quote 5-6 days for small parcel from Darwin to a capital city.

I was notified item posted and then it took, 12days, return address StarTrack Intl C/O Koko (Chullora NSW)

Message 17 of 41
Latest reply

Btw the last previous post on this thread was over TWO YEARS AGO.

Message 18 of 41
Latest reply

@davewil1964 wrote:

Btw the last previous post on this thread was over TWO YEARS AGO.

yep..and i still stick to what i have said in other posts...LOCK THEM AFTER 6 MONTHS AND DELETE THEM AFTER 12..

Message 19 of 41
Latest reply

wdg1955
Community Member

I agree.  I just received an item that was listed as being in Darwin that took 10 days to get to Canberra when at the same time I received an item from Perth that took only 2 days!  The item was actually forwarded by StarTrack International from Sydney.  I will look was thinking that I was supportng an Australian business.  I'll be more carefull next time.

Message 20 of 41
Latest reply