Late arrival of items

Spoiler

I  have had a few problems with the estimated time of delivery on  some items. Which are arriving a lot later than the estimated delivery time. So then I am contacting seller to have another item sent. 

It seems to happen with items posted from China and the UK.

So I guess it is just having to be patient and wait. It can be a nuisance if seller posts you an item to replace one that hasnt arrived then you have to post it back or possibly provide a refund and just keep second item.

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Late arrival of items

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

The ebay estimated delivery dates are notoriously inaccurate.  You really need to add several weeks to the times that you are told by ebay, especially with items from overseas.

China is particularly slow, for the most part.

Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

Late arrival of items

YES! ignore when eBay says the parcel may arrive! They do not control how the postal service operates! They are even having heaps of problems and delays with domestic mail, so imagine what it is like when there are a few different postal services involved!

Just remember to always pay by a safe payment method such as PayPal, and then if you don't receive your item, you have 45 days in which to open a dispute. (Maybe somewhere after 35 days for international mail, just don't leave it until the last second) for Item Not received.

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

Late arrival of items

Following the recent changes to EBay I have just added the following to all my items:

POSTAGE & DELIVERY TIME - AUSTRALIA
Standard Mail Free postage anywhere in Australia. This has no tracking facility. Consequently, we are unable to assist should your item be lost in the mail.
Registered Mail This has the added security of proof of sending, online delivery tracking, and signing for delivery. This will cost an additional amount. In order for PayPal to provide Buyer Protection this option must be selected if the total value of your order exceeds $50.
Express Post This is if you require your item as quickly as possible with online delivery tracking. The item will be delivered to your mailbox without signing for delivery being required. This will cost an additional amount.

Australia Post estimates Standard and Registered Mail will be delivered in up to 4 business days. Provided you live within the Express Post Delivery network  Australia Post guarantees next business day delivery. In addition, Ebay determines a range of estimated delivery dates, these may be different to Australia Post. Delivery times may vary especially during peak periods, they may be shorter or longer than estimated by Australia Post or EBay depending on the postal service. This is something which is outside our control.

POSTAGE & DELIVERY TIME - INTERNATIONAL
International postage is sent by Standard Air Mail. This has no tracking facility. Consequently we are unable to assist should your item be lost in the mail. As the delivery time varies considerably we are unable to estimate how long your item will take to reach you.

Best wishes

Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

Late arrival of items

how does Registered mail enable PayPal to provide Buyer Protection?

and in your standard postage disclaimer thingy, if the buyer pays by PayPal, and their item doesn't turn up, I'm pretty sure that PayPal will "force" you to assist your customer via a refund, because you won't be able to prove postage without tracking and lodgement proof.

Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

Late arrival of items

Thank you for your comments, they are very much appreciated.

Registered Mail  has a number which enables Online Tracking and I think this satisfies Paypal. On my standard mail items which have no tracking I have my local post office stamp a "Lodgement Receipt" with the buyers name and address on it. This will only prove I lodge the item and does not provide tracking. I think it would assist my case with PayPal.

It is all rather academic as if it doesn't turn up, or doesn't work I will provide a replacement or refund. This is stated as:

GUARANTEE
We guarantee that the file on the CD will be received in good condition. If you are unable to open it or print your album we will replace it at no cost to you, or, if you prefer refund your payment, including postal charges in full.

Hope this helps and many thanks again,

Robert

Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

Late arrival of items

thanks Stamps

Spoiler
but wouldn't that mean that Registered Mail provides Seller Protection?

Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

Late arrival of items

Registered mail provides seller protection provided that the official lodgement form is filled out in triplicate and is stamped by the PO.

After all, that's precisely the level of proof required when returning faulty goods to overseas sellers so surely the same applies domestically.
Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

Late arrival of items

Spoiler
but I still don't get how it provides PayPal Buyer Protection like in Stamp's T&C's.

I thought all that was the seller's protection/insurance for PayPal, not the buyers, cos they don't have to prove they didn't receive anything for a INR, it's the seller that has to prove they sent something.

Message 9 of 12
Latest reply

Late arrival of items

I have little experience with local registered mail, mainly using Registered Post International which is Paypal's minimum postage method to qualify for seller (or sender) protection, as the lodgment for these is done in triplicate before being stamped by the PO, and your copy of the multiple receipts is your proof of sending which satisfies Paypal's requirement perfectly.

As I understand it, you can also buy pre-paid rolls of registered post stickers, but I don't believe these are suitable for Paypal because the only receipt given by the PO is the standard PO postcode receipt, which only proves that you sent an item to that postcode, and not necessarily that address.

However, even for local use in Australia, you can still use the RP lodgement papers in triplicate, and your copy of the stamped paperwork will then definitely cover you against a Paypal claim for INR.

Problem is, for items under $50 or so, it's just not cost effective to use registered mail so unless you're losing a lot of items in the post, put the money for registered post into a jar to use in the event that a parcel goes missing, and I'll bet that in a year, your jar will be nearly full. 😉

Also, you cannot enforce the compulsory use of registered post for items over $50 as doing so breaches policy. If you feel you absolutely need to send it registered, do so out of your own pocket as the buyer won't select it themselves.

Also, express post satchels aren't covered by Paypal unless you use the 5Kg satchel, or post your express item as a parcel and use the lodgement form in triplicate, so once again you have stamped proof of sending. Also, you may need to alter your T&Cs because I believe that express post parcels (but not satchels) require a signature upon delivery.

Realistically, your items are not expensive and I see no need to bother with registered or even express, and would simply use click and send, perhaps with SOD on your dearer items (but at your expense if it's free post).
Message 10 of 12
Latest reply