Misleading/incorrect item heading (and description)

alichua
Community Member

When scrolling through items, I saw a listing that has incorrect information.

2 sewing machines listed as being 1921.

From the pics I know one was built no earlier than 1924 an the other 1934+

I am not interested in buying, but msgd the seller anyway. These machines are worth less than $100 combined. Current bid $300.

The seller response was rude.

I feel for the unsuspecting buyers.

I tried to report item but the eBay reporting process doesn't allow me to highlight the particular issue and is very limited.

I also cannot alert  the bidders.

Do I just let it go?

Message 1 of 18
Latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Yes... you let it go.

No need to feel for the buyers... ever heard of the eBay Money Back Guarantee?

It's a good thing that you cannot contact the bidders... if you could why would they take the word of a stranger on the interweb?

I don't even understand why you would contact the seller.

Message 2 of 18
Latest reply

Your not interested in buying, so nothing to do with you.  Who knows you might actually be wrong.

Message 3 of 18
Latest reply

Just had a look at the listing.   You estimated value of  $100 for the pair, I reckon your estimate is a joke.

Message 4 of 18
Latest reply

If you write to a seller to let them know that their listing is incorrect, you have to provide a proof.

Message 5 of 18
Latest reply

I also think an estimate of $100 for the pair is a joke.

Alichua  it's none of your business.  The seller started the auction at $100.

2 bidders will sort out how much they think they are worth.

Message 6 of 18
Latest reply

And I thought the grammar police were funny. lol

Message 7 of 18
Latest reply

Iโ€™m just weighing in on the value of the machines.  
I note these are listed in Vic, so I canโ€™t say what antique sewing machines go for there, but here in NSW, you can pick these up for $25 each, and we have done so, many times.

Hubby turns them into garden art tractors. (Shock horror ๐Ÿ˜ฒ) ๐Ÿ˜‚

I think the most I ever paid, was in fact $50 because I wasnโ€™t aware of the value  back then.  

But to someone who wants it, they will pay what ever it takes. ๐Ÿ˜‰

The  sewing tables that they used to come in, are more valuable and sought after, these days.  (The old treadle singer sewing machines)

That being saidโ€ฆ. What is it with others wanting to contact sellers and buyers to โ€˜warnโ€™ them. 
Talk about meddling.  
They need a hobby. Maybe they should buy a sewing machine and turn it into a tractor ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

9AE796A6-13E8-4CF8-9B4F-2C88A545BBF8.jpeg

Iโ€™ll also add that we have sold these at swap meets for over $200 each.  
(This particular one, was hubbyโ€™s first tractor. Iโ€™m keeping it ๐Ÿ˜˜

********* *********** *********** ************ ************ *********** ***********
Be Kind To Nurses....
They Stop The Doctors From Killing You.
Message 8 of 18
Latest reply

If the machines are being incorrectly labelled, as you say, then that is misleading but I can't see you can do much about it because even if you could contact bidders, they might just suspect you were trying to fob off the competition.

You'll have to leave it up to the buyers and hope that if people are going to go all out to buy some old machine that they at least have some knowledge of what they are bidding on. If they don't, then they may live to regret it.

I think there are a lot of things advertised on ebay that aren't always what they seem-maybe deliberately misleading, maybe by accident but in most cases yes, you need to just let it go unless you see out and out obvious fraud.

I can't see ebay being interested in investigating the exact ages of sewing machines advertised on site.

Message 9 of 18
Latest reply

Are you an authorised antique valuer? If not, then it's none of your business. An item is worth what a buyer is willing to pay for it. If someone wants to pay $100 for a $25 item, that is their choice. Obviously, they really want it and are willing to pay whatever to have it. 

I have bought items at a garage sale for $1, put it at auction with a starting price of $10 and end bidding was well over $100. My very unprofessional estimate might score them at say $20. Not my problem if buyers want to pay 5 times more. Obviously that item is something they really want and happy to pay a price to have it.

It's not up to you to decide what buyers should or shouldn't pay. It's their choice. I can guarantee there would have been another hundred buyers who have said, no way, that's too expensive. For the ones happy to pay, that's entirely their choice.

Message 10 of 18
Latest reply