Money Back Guarantee, Buyer BEWARE!

I purchased a pair of items described as "new". The item, a classic-car part, occassionally lists on eBay, but as "remanufactured" - meaning disassembled, cleaned and rebuilt with new seals, valves, etc - because the item has not been produced by the manufacturer for many decades. The items were shipped from the US to Australia.

When I received the items, they were clearly remanufactured and certain visible parts had been replaced by inferior parts. I requested that the items be returned, and the web-page for the return indicated that the seller agreed to the return. As instructed by the return web-page, I requested a return shipping label from the seller. The seller did not oblige, and a case was opened.

The case was placed on hold several times (for very strange reasons). Finally eBay instructed me to send the item back, tracked, by a specific date. The seller has never provided a return shipping label.

The items weigh 12.5 kg together. The trackable postage from Australia to the US, using Australia Post, would have cost me over AUD $200. Consequently, I sent a message to eBay requesting that they confirm that I would be reimbursed or refunded the cost of return postage.

eBay never replied to my request for confirmation. While I was considering my options on the day by which I was instructed to return the item, I received a message from eBay stating that the case had been closed and that I get to keep the item. A terrible outcome for me, the buyer!

The word "by" in the context of a date usually means "no later than". In the case of eBay's Money Back Guarantee, the words "by a certain date" mean "before a certain date". I don't know why they would not use the word "before" to remove ambiguity. BUYER BEWARE!

Message 1 of 30
Latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

Re: Money Back Guarantee, Buyer BEWARE! Use the Paypal system instead.

good, give up GO AWAY. Take your 0 listings and bother someone else.

Message 21 of 30
Latest reply

@co-au13 wrote:

I dont have $46 to send it back, so shoot me i guess!

FMD, you shouldn't be selling if you cannot cover that sort of outlay for a few days/hours that it took you to generate a label with tracking.

Do you have ears/eyes that connect to your brain?

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 22 of 30
Latest reply

so your other ID is ajf160959 and you have come back 6 months later to read the answers to your problem?
I don't think so which is why I said if you are not the person who started the thread and you want help then start your own thread.

nothing like getting abused trying to help Padi, Your time can be spent better elsewhere helping someone

appreciative.

Message 23 of 30
Latest reply

Harley, I and others get more respect from the tadpoles in my pond than this one.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 24 of 30
Latest reply

@co-au13 wrote:
This will probably silence the 2 repliers too but.....WHERE ARE YOUR LISTINGS??? If eBay is so great?? why are you not selling anything here????

This is the BUYING board.

Why you you expect respondents to be sellers? Why do you think number of listings equates to knowledge/experience? I have over 1200 listings but you won't find them under this ID.

Message 25 of 30
Latest reply

WOW, is it any wonder they have received negative feedback for being abusive? Unbelievable! They come here asking for advice, dredge up an old thread, then abuse everyone who tries to help them. I don't know why they bother sometimes. There seems to be a bit of agro on here lately.

Message 26 of 30
Latest reply

Hi everyone, the discussion is getting a little heated.  Please be sure to keep your communications civil.  Thanks!

Message 27 of 30
Latest reply

fiam73
Community Member

I also had a very similar situation but I bought a guaranteed origina leatherl wallet for over $100  and when it arrived it was an obvious very bad copy from Thailand that would cost about $3. It had the designer's name spelt incorrectly on the packaging and the cardboard rigid pieces inside the wallet and stank of plasti and was just awful.

Ebay followed the same course as yours and closed the case and I sent the item back to the seller as they requested although they are meant to ask you to destroy the item when it is a copy/fraudulent item, that is what PayPal does. Strangley Ebay worked out the Aust postal refund amount and refunded it to me. Just the postage. Based on their own calculations from the internet...very very bizarre. But my over $100 item...nothing...

I am still waiting for my refund, and now the seller has my item back so I have nothing except the postal tracking number. I would advise anyone to go through the Paypal dispute system and bypass Ebay as they use automated response systems to respond to Ebayers and there is very little human interaction. They sell copy items and do not care.  I will never spend more than a few dollars in the future on this site.

Message 28 of 30
Latest reply

dredge up an old thread,

it's even older now

Message 29 of 30
Latest reply

@fiam73 wrote:

I also had a very similar situation but I bought a guaranteed origina leatherl wallet for over $100  and when it arrived it was an obvious very bad copy from Thailand that would cost about $3. It had the designer's name spelt incorrectly on the packaging and the cardboard rigid pieces inside the wallet and stank of plasti and was just awful.

Ebay followed the same course as yours and closed the case and I sent the item back to the seller as they requested although they are meant to ask you to destroy the item when it is a copy/fraudulent item, that is what PayPal does. Strangley Ebay worked out the Aust postal refund amount and refunded it to me. Just the postage. Based on their own calculations from the internet...very very bizarre. But my over $100 item...nothing...

I am still waiting for my refund, and now the seller has my item back so I have nothing except the postal tracking number. I would advise anyone to go through the Paypal dispute system and bypass Ebay as they use automated response systems to respond to Ebayers and there is very little human interaction. They sell copy items and do not care.  I will never spend more than a few dollars in the future on this site.

Here's a bit of free advice for you. If a listing claims "genuine", "Authentic", "Guaranteed", "100% real" or any other adjective like that, you can be 100% sure it's a fake, especially if it's a cheap high priced brand name. I'm not sure why buyers think they can get high priced brand names at a cheap price on eBay.

Here's another bit of free advice. If you need help with something, like the issue you had with a refund, start a new thread. Don't dredge up an old one. A lot of the advice in old threads is outdated. By starting a new thread you can get current up to date advice.

Message 30 of 30
Latest reply