Negative Feedback removed but Ebay says policy was not breached

In 111 purchases in over 10 years I had never left negative feedback. Half a dozen neutrals for wrong country of origin or electronics covers that didn't fit the specified model but that was it. So when I left negative feedback for the first time I was very careful.

I had a difficult time with a seller trying to return an item of clothing that I considered defective. Initially the discussion via private message was civil. I thought I was doing the right thing by then logging on to Ebay to initiate a return (my first ever) however in hindsight I was naive because after I involved Ebay, the sellers tone became adversarial.

Based on how the conversation went sideways I decided to proceed with the documentable Ebay return which was for a full refund. 4 days and 23 message later the seller decided to let Ebay decide if I was entitled to anything. 12 minutes after Ebay notified me they were reviewing the matter I was notified  of the decision in my favour for a full refund.

The feedback I left was not about the defective item or postage. The feedback I provided commented solely on how the seller had made the return process unnecessarily difficult and how Ebay's intervention resulted in a full refund.

I was now highly suspicious of a seller with 12500 plus sales having 100% satisfaction so I kept an eye on the feedback. Sure enough it disappeared.

I asked Ebay why my feedback had been removed and was initially advised that it was because I had referenced the dispute. I reviewed the Feedback policy again but could not see what I had breached so I asked for the specific clause. Ebay's second response was that I had NOT breached policy.

Great. So I asked if my feedback would be put back up or would I be given the opportunity to write new Feedback. Ebay's response was waffling and referenced their procedures for reviewing feedback. So I asked again about restoring my feedback. It's been 2 days now and Ebay has failed to respond whereas previously they responded in hours.

I now understand how the seller maintains 100% satisfication for such high sales numbers. Back door deals, intimidation and assistance from Ebay to manipulate their rating. But at least I have my money back.

Message 1 of 17
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@solita_h wrote:

I asked Ebay why my feedback had been removed and was initially advised that it was because I had referenced the dispute. I reviewed the Feedback policy again but could not see what I had breached so I asked for the specific clause. Ebay's second response was that I had NOT breached policy.

Their first response was correct, the second one wasn't - which, to be fair, is about the going rate for eBay reps.

Partly because of the ever changing rules, and where they place those rules also changes. The list for removable feedback isn't actually under the feedback removal policy, info or help page. It's under the member to member contact page, for some reason.

This is it, and you'll see the reason why your FB was removed is noted in the last dot-point.

feedback removal policy.PNG

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 17
Latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

I wouldn't hold your breath on feedback being reinstated. I have never heard of it happening.

Having mentioned the return is probably what got it removed.

FYI, large volume sellers can sustain a neg or two without the percentage going down.

If the sales are large one neg for instance won't effect 100% as it may change it by less than 0.1% hence the percentage remains the same.

Also negs drop away from percentage after 12 months so you may see some sellers with negs in their history beyond 12 months but their percentage is at 100%.

image host
Message 2 of 17
Latest reply

@solita_h wrote:

Their first response was correct, the second one wasn't - which, to be fair, is about the going rate for eBay reps.

Partly because of the ever changing rules, and where they place those rules also changes. The list for removable feedback isn't actually under the feedback removal policy, info or help page. It's under the member to member contact page, for some reason.

This is it, and you'll see the reason why your FB was removed is noted in the last dot-point.

feedback removal policy.PNG

Message 3 of 17
Latest reply

bof2814-0
Community Member

I had the same experience neg removed e-bay gave me two entirely different reasons, makes spotting a bad seller a lot more difficult.

Message 4 of 17
Latest reply

You can just say seller was difficult.   They won't remove that.

Just don't mention a case or the result of one.

Message 5 of 17
Latest reply

I suspect e-bay are becoming more sympathetic to sellers, removal of unfair negs, extra free listings, 75% off fvf's all of which I have no problem with as I buy and sell as long as poor sellers are not protected.

Message 6 of 17
Latest reply

Thanks for the link Digital Ghost, that's at least more than Ebay was able to give. I can at least see where I stepped outside the box now. It's still frustrating that despite the pages and pages of messages back and forth and ultimate intervention by Ebay, the seller will continue business as usual without any consequences.  

Even if it was only one negative mark amongst the thousands of positives, it still would have been a warning to others, at least for 12 mths, especially if they have to return something.

And to not even be given a chance to edit the Feedback? A one strike and you're out policy because I referenced something that supported my claim seems unfair. Especially when people leave worse feedback than my considered response.

Maybe I'm showing my age but I remember the old days of Ebay when it was an online marketplace and not a business for professional sellers.

Message 7 of 17
Latest reply

@imastawka wrote:

You can just say seller was difficult.   They won't remove that.

Just don't mention a case or the result of one.

The problem is I can't edit the Feedback which was removed and I can't post a new one. Very frustrating.

Message 8 of 17
Latest reply

My problem was e-bay removed my feedback because I failed to alter the product at the sellers request. Choice was alter product no refund or leave product no negative feedback. I chose the refund as I am here for goods or money not coloured dots but seller does not get a neg and carries on to rip off more people. E-bay policies are becoming vague and mis-leading probably on purpose to protect certain sellers and buyers.

Message 9 of 17
Latest reply

Ebay protecting sellers yeh right that will be the day 

You have to realize that sellers who pay huge amount of fees to eBay will always be protected it's the small sellers that sometimes get shafted

Message 10 of 17
Latest reply