Negative feedback removed

I regretfully left my first negative today after over 15 years of buying on eBay because I thought it was important for buyers like me to see this and avoid that seller if they chose to.

The feedback was polite and I only spoke about the difficulty to get a refund for a “arrived damaged” item. It took over 3 weeks of daily messages where the seller kept offering me discounts from 20% to 88% . I was finally refunded by opening a case on eBay. Then more bargaining started again over the return postage cost that they had promised to refund immediately. 

Now the feedback has been removed and that seller looks to be trustworthy!
The only option I have is to not buy on eBay any longer because I cannot see a true picture of a seller. It is disgraceful!

Message 1 of 21
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Papermoon is right in that most of us have no special powers or anything to see feedback that has been removed.

But what has sometimes happened on this board is someone will take a screenshot of a feedback page for a seller to show how bad it is then take another screenshot a few days later and post both and suddenly you can see the negs have gone. Mainly it is people such as yourself who are suspicious after something similar happens to their feedback and so keep tabs and watch.

I wouldn't say it is common, not at all. Just that the sellers with a big turnover have more clout.

Hopefully you won't have any cause in future to need to leave a negative but if you do, sons& daughters is right and just don't mention an ebay dispute or refund.

View solution in original post

Message 19 of 21
Latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

When leaving negs you have to be very careful about what you say in them, for example if you mention opening a dispute about the problem that gives the seller grounds for removal.

Anecdotally some sellers are able to get negs removed a lot easier than others.

You MAY be able to get it reinstated by contacting eBay's CS reps through the "ebay help" at the top of the page. If you do that ask to speak to a supervisor as soon as possible, and if you don't get it first time try again with a different CS rep.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 2 of 21
Latest reply

Thank you padi.

I am so disappointed with this incident that I will not buy on eBay anymore - unless it’s a seller I know and trust.

Message 3 of 21
Latest reply

I have had feedback removed as well. I had a problem with a seller that advertised a 2 year warranty but when the items were faulty within 1 minute of use I was offered a 50% refund not the lot. I never received any refund at all. Ebay does not do anything for the buyer.

I had paid the Plus membership but that was wasted money as well.

I opened a return request but Ebay just closed it without even contacting me. They remove the negative feedback I had left.

They seem to protect lying cheating sellers. Ebay does not appear to have a phone number to contact only links that often are not worth having.

Message 4 of 21
Latest reply

@doug5569 wrote:

I have had feedback removed as well. I had a problem with a seller that advertised a 2 year warranty.

It's been said many times before on these boards that "warranties" on eBay mean absolutely NOTHING unless the seller is registered in Australia AND is an authorised seller/reseller of the items.

Ebay does not appear to have a phone number to contact only links that often are not worth having.

It's also been mentioned that there have been very few opportunities for a phone contact number since the start of COVID. There are however some phone contact options when you go to "ebay help" at the top of the page and scroll to the bottom on some fields.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 5 of 21
Latest reply

This is completely bot-generated.

Unfortunately that is the case with eBay emails. No human read your email, no human replied to your email, and no human personally apologised to you.

It’s bot-driven from start to finish, designed to make the buyer feel listened to and appreciated without the slightest thing actimbeing done.

To get an actual human, you would need to use Live Chat.

Message 6 of 21
Latest reply

But it was composed with such compassion.

Wonder what the OP is going to think, when they see it has also gone the way of the -FB

But I suppose that is what you  can expect when you dont follow the policies 

Message 7 of 21
Latest reply

Hi Gutterpunk,

Yes, it was so lovely and compassionate - it made me feel so much happier 😊.

I seem to be on a roll with getting deleted and now those comforting words have been deleted too.

Did you mean it’s gone on Facebook? …I can’t find it …could you send me the link please? 
Perhaps it’s been deleted there too! …I think I’m about to disappear entirely 🥺

Message 8 of 21
Latest reply

FB = feedback, not Facebook.

The words were deliberately calculated to give that feeling, without having any substance behind them.

As I said before, the words were not genuine. They were generated as part of an automatic response based upon certain keywords in the email that you sent.

You had best take comfort in being refunded. That is a tangible outcome. (No need for long back and forth.) At least you do have your money back.

Message 9 of 21
Latest reply

Dear Countessalmirena,

Of course the comforting words were not genuine. The behaviour of the seller, the clumsy eBay return process and then the crazy policy rules are just too ridiculous to take seriously.

Namaste my dear fellow eBayer.

Message 10 of 21
Latest reply