Not received my order due to customs reject with reason package not containing proper name of prod

sch.veer
Community Member

Hi,

I have booked a product from ebay seller

on 10 Jan, 2021 and I have not received my product yet. DHL has contacted me and told the item is rejected by Australia Customs as it doesn't contain proper details on package about the product inside including its botanical name.   

Now when contacted multiple times to seller he is telling me that it is my responsibility to clear from customs. But customs through DHL has clearly mentioned that package not containing proper content name so it can't be taken inside Australia.

Please advise me my next step as my money got struct and I have not received neither product nor my refund of paid amount.

Thanks

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Not received my order due to customs reject with reason package not containing proper name of prod

As the seller said, it is up to you to know the Customs regulations of your particular country.

In general, biological matter is not permitted to be imported into Australia. I believe most seeds need to be irradiated, rendering them incapable of germinating.

Why should the seller be out of pocket for something that is not their fault?

Edit: The eBay MBG doesn't cover items rejected at the border by Customs.

https://www.agriculture.gov.au/import/goods/biological

Message 2 of 16
Latest reply

I'm not sure if seeds can just be imported into Australia, so most likely confiscated by Customs. It is definitely your responsibility to ensure that you can import the item. 

From the BICON Biosecurity website - you first need to make sure whether the seed:

• is permitted
  • is subject to import conditions
  • requires supporting documentation
  • ​requires treatment
  • needs an import permit.
  • It is your responsibility to comply with the department’s import conditions when importing into Australia.

Did you do all of these things? Also, you're importing from a random seller in Lebanon, so English is possibly not a strong point and you can't expect some the seller to care about proper documentation.

Message 3 of 16
Latest reply

I just noticed, clicking on your feedback goes to a different user ID, located in India.

Are you them? Are you in India? If so, why are you posting on the Australian boards? Australian customs has nothing to do with India.

So many questions, so few legitimate answers likely.

Message 4 of 16
Latest reply

So you are registered in India, trying to import something restricted into Australia, get busted by customs  and then put it on the seller for 'not giving the proper name' on the declaration? 

Not buying it 

Message 5 of 16
Latest reply

Not sure about userID still redirecting, but I hold ebay account since many years and a genuine buyer booked many of the stuffs from ebay online portal here in Au & way back in India as well before 2019. 

Now, I was in need of Garden cress seeds and was searching online, got these on ebay's online portal and booked, I am sure Garden cress seeds are not banned in Australia unless it is properly packed and sent with its naming. So how we book online stuffs like wise I booked it even though selling cost is very high. But Customs rejected pack mentioning it is not properly packed with content name.

Now pls tell me my mistake in it. 

Message 6 of 16
Latest reply

I am sure Garden cress seeds are not banned in Australia unless it is properly packed and sent with its naming. So how we book online stuffs like wise I booked it even though selling cost is very high. But Customs rejected pack mentioning it is not properly packed with content name.

Now tell me my mistake in it. If at all the item is not allowed then ebay would have blocked it from its availability to book online for its customers.

Message 7 of 16
Latest reply

I am sure Garden cress seeds are not banned in Australia unless it is properly packed and sent with its naming. So how we book online stuffs like wise I booked it even though selling cost is very high. But Customs rejected pack mentioning it is not properly packed with content name.

Now tell me my mistake in it. If at all the item is not allowed then ebay would have blocked it from its availability to book online for its customers.

Hope you got the rejection reason.

I would have paid if some import duty or any other fee payable from buyer, but here customs has clearly told because of package not containing proper naming they are not ready to release the pack, if you need it then it must be in proper content name on the pack.

If packing with proper names and content name is responsibility  of buyer through ebay then I will stop using ebay from hereafterwards.

Message 8 of 16
Latest reply

@sch.veer wrote:

If you had read and understood the replies and links given to you, you would be aware that it's YOUR responsibility, not eBay's, to find out if those seeds could be imported. Customs have told you that they can't be imported, and have given you the reason for that judgment. You have lost the seeds and your money because you didn't check in the first place.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 9 of 16
Latest reply

We are an island nation trying to keep out things that may be a danger to our agriculture.

Customs have rejected them, but you seem to think you are above the law?

Please read up on what you can import and what you can't.

Learn from the experience.

There are 68 listings on ebay Australia, for Cress seeds.

I don't know if they are a different type to what you want, but surely there is an Aussie seller for what you want?

Message 10 of 16
Latest reply